Pump motor overheating, unit likely shot. Replacing opinions wanted

Ezz

Mar 4, 2019
AZ
Hi All,

I bought my house 2 years ago from a guy who had rented it out for years and from the looks of it I would say the pool equipment (pump and motor) looks to be a good 8-10 years old. Equipment was running fine since purchase, but about a month ago the pool pump would suddenly stop mid cycle. I replaced the run capacitor and it went back to working fine. Then today I noticed it had again shut-off at some point mid cycle. I attempted to restart and it just hummed for a minute and shutoff again. So I replaced the start capacitor. Attempted to start and the motor started spinning and after about a minute it shutoff again and I noticed a burning smell, the unit was also blazing hot.

I let it cool down for a few hours and took the unit apart. No impeller blockage, and the motor shaft spins freely in both directions. I did however discover a decent amount of corrosion and rust on the motor itself and the internals are pretty ugly. The internals of the pump are not great either - some cracks and discoloration.

I had hoped to just order a new motor and seals and replace them - easy enough. But seeing as this equipment is just old and shot, maybe its time to replace the entire unit? I have plenty of experience as a DIY guy with regards to mechanical and electrical applications - but 0 plumbing. Based on the picture provided will I be able to effectively cut the old piping, and install a new pump directly? (It looks pretty tight to me). I have some worries this might require some extensive pipe replacing that might be tough for a noob like me.

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 16
Yeah definietly going to use those. Just hoping I can fit the new piping in without having to rip out and replace the valve housings, etc.

Also - my pump has been down 2 days already - looks like to ship in a new unit is 5-7 days, how the heck am I supposed to keep my pool from turning into a green swamp for that long without a pump? I am in Arizona so its this is great timing at 110 everyday.

how the heck am I supposed to keep my pool from turning into a green swamp for that long without a pump?
Add liquid chlorine and raise your FC level to near SLAM level. Maintain that each day, using a brush or by swimming to mix it in. If you have a sump pump, you can use it to move the water around. Chlorine is paramount.

Reactions: guinness
Add liquid chlorine and raise your FC level to near SLAM level. Maintain that each day, using a brush or by swimming to mix it in. If you have a sump pump, you can use it to move the water around. Chlorine is paramount.
Ok - thats the plan - been keeping adding chlorine like mad since this morning. thanks

Are you near Mesa? You could call Wholesale Pool Equipment and pick up a replacement pump.

Not too far - I will check them out thanks

Last edited:
My pump was off for 10 days this July under brutal AZ sun, and I got by by adding LC every night and using a 1/3 HP submersible pump to move water from one end to the other end of the pool like Martin suggested. Except dirt settled on the floor, the water has been clear.

I have been brushing every 6-8 hours for the last 2 days and keeping chlorine high. My kids swam quite a bit during the first few days which helped keep things flowing. As of now I am not seeing any visible signs of algae and I am replacing the unit tomorrow morning so hopefully I am back up and running tomorrow afternoon and can avoid a mess. Thanks all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.