Pump Motor Question

h2o

Jun 30, 2008
Houston, TX
A couple of years ago my pump failed and, against my better judgement, I replaced it with an Xtreme Power pump. Well, a couple of years later the motor has failed. I'm looking into replacing the motor with a better motor (read: AO Smith, etc.). The nameplate shows it to be a 48 frame motor, but everything I find is a 48Y frame. Are these the same? Is there a better motor that can be installed on this pump?

IMG_7218.jpg

Thank you for the response. Below is a pic of my pump setup. Does the square mounting flange bolt up to the pump from the back side? I'm trying to figure out how the 48 frame motor you posted would mount up to the pump.

1696521990619.png

I will have to get a pic of the pump when I get home, but it will look just like to that. What I posted was a stock photo of my pump.

After doing some more research, I think I may just have a start cap issue. My pump kicks on for a few seconds, then trips the breaker. It sounds louder than normal when it turns on though.

Well, I pulled the pump apart this morning and the shaft spins without issue and there are no issues that I can see with the impeller. It spins freely as well. I was going to try replacing the capacitor as a (hopefully) cheap fix, but I can't find one. Is it possible that the motor doesn't have one? Not sure where to go from here.

IMG_7219.jpgIMG_7222.jpgIMG_7220.jpgIMG_7221.jpg

Is it safe to assume that if I have 110v to each leg, then the motor is bad?
You have to measure the voltage "Line-to-Line" and not individually.

One Line is Common and the other Line is the switched leg.

The switched leg goes to the center of the rocker switch and the switch is SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw), which means that the leg can go to terminal A or B and one is high speed and the other is low speed.

1696609691888.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a two-speed motor.

Are you trying to run on high or low speed?

Maybe the speed selector switch is bad?
I have been running it on high speed. I would think if the switch was bad it would either work or not work, not run for 2-3 seconds and trip the breaker. I just went out there and tried it on low speed and got the same result.

Here is what I have verified - I have 120v to each leg and when the motor starts, the shaft and impeller spin. The motor doesn't sound right when it runs though. It's louder, but not a grinding sound. When I spin it manually it spins easily and freely and makes no noise so I don't think it's a bearing.

Edit: High and Low are marked with a "H" and "L", so I got them backwards.

In any case, it makes no difference when testing.

The Yellow wire is High and the Black wire is Low.

1696610462754.png

1696610405765.png

Last edited:
You have 3 terminals on the board.

Remove the black wire and the Yellow wire and connect power to Terminals 1 and 2 or 2 and 3.

Disconnect the power wires and the black and yellow wires and check the resistance from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3.

1696611643875.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.