Pool dig started Manteca, CA

Ok so the trenching team showed up to do the trenches and lay the water piping & electrical pipes. They said it should take them about 2 days.

A few questions regarding this and a couple other things:

1.) They are running 2.5" pvc pipe back to where my 8' ft. rain descent feature will be mounted on on Pergola about 7.5' ft. up. Also, 2" pvc to each of the 36" sheer rain descents on the 24" wall as per our design I attached. Is this OK pipe size? And should the suction pipes be 2.5" or 3"?

2.) I decided to do a single Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump since I will only filter at night from 10pm - 9/10am. When I run the waterfalls, the pump will run only the 3 waterfalls at the same time and nothing else. Will this work fine this way?

3.) We are doing KrystalKrete Quartz Verde color for our pool plaster. We are torn on whether to put the 1"x2" tiles show in the attached on our steps at all or do a single row of each tile or double the row up so it's 2"x2" sold band going across each step? These tiles are going on the front of our 3' rain descent water features.

Please help :)

Thanks!

1.) They are running 2.5" pvc pipe back to where my 8' ft. rain descent feature will be mounted on on Pergola about 7.5' ft. up. Also, 2" pvc to each of the 36" sheer rain descents on the 24" wall as per our design I attached. Is this OK pipe size? And should the suction pipes be 2.5" or 3"?

What model sheer rain descents are you installing? The installation guide should have the minimum required pipe size for it.

2.5" suction should be ok. If you go to 3" it can require different valves and fittings. Discuss with your PB what he is using.

2.) I decided to do a single Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump since I will only filter at night from 10pm - 9/10am. When I run the waterfalls, the pump will run only the 3 waterfalls at the same time and nothing else. Will this work fine this way?

I don't know exactly how they will plumb things but it sounds like you are using the waterfalls as alternative returns. You should be filtering all the water whether they go to the pool returns or waterfalls.

Understand that running you waterfalls will cause your pH to rise more rapidly and require more frequent acid additions.

@ajw22 Thanks for all the info. Just spoke with the plumber onsite and he is doing dual 2.5" suctions in case I do want to add a 2nd pump later dedicated to the waterfalls. I believe they are having everything go out through the filter and then out. However, you brought up another question: I'm installing a AquaCal SQ225 Heat Pump that has a max throughput of 70gpm which requires me to use their valve diverter add-on so anything above 70gpm will get diverted. Will this cause any issues with water being sent to waterfalls, or should I have a electronic valve put on there so that when I run the water fall it diverts it away from the heat pump and directly to waterfalls? Also, I'm not sure on the model of the rain descent yet but I do know it is the 8' ft. version.

Thanks again!

@ajw22 I'm installing a AquaCal SQ225 Heat Pump that has a max throughput of 70gpm which requires me to use their valve diverter add-on so anything above 70gpm will get diverted. Will this cause any issues with water being sent to waterfalls, or should I have a electronic valve put on there so that when I run the water fall it diverts it away from the heat pump and directly to waterfalls?

The 70 GPM bypass valve will allow up to that amount through your HP and the rest of the flow will be combined with the HP output. So downstream of the heater there will be the full GPM through your system.

Ok so I don't have to worry about getting enough water to the waterfalls. Do I need a rock catch behind each waterfall or because it's already going through filter do I not have to worry about that?

Also, just curious do you know what 3" pipes that split into 2 - 3" pipes in the deep end that are labeled "Pool Scrub" are for?

Ok so I don't have to worry about getting enough water to the waterfalls. Do I need a rock catch behind each waterfall or because it's already going through filter do I not have to worry about that?

Since I don't know what waterfall you are getting I can't say.

The installation manual will say if a seperate filter should be inst

Also, just curious do you know what 3" pipes that split into 2 - 3" pipes in the deep end that are labeled "Pool Scrub" are for?

I don't know what is labeled "Pool Scrub". VGBA safety drains often have two inlets 3 feet apart that are T'd to one line.

Ok, @ajw22 so the PB is doing the piping now. Here is what they did and maybe I misunderstood it or maybe they did and need some help explaining to them what the 2 Skimmers are for. My thought was the 2 skimmers would both have the ability to pull from the deep end section connectors and then they run independently back to the equipment pad with a Jandy Valve and I can turn the valve to use 1 or the other at a time?
Here is what the PB did, the Skimmer on the right of your drawing they ran to pull from the deep end sections, and the back to the equipment pad with a Jandy Valve. The other skimmer on the top left of your edited drawing they have just skimming and running back to the equipment pad to the Jandy valve that the other Skimmer run goes to. So basically I will have both skimmers running to pull 50/50 at the same time?
Should he have run from the bottom dual deep end sections and then Y'd it off from there to each of the skimmers and then each skimmer independently runs back to the Jandy valve that would shut one off or the other? I explained that exactly to him and he said he's never done that before?

HELP!! ANYONE PLEASE before they put in rebar later this week.

Here is what the PB did, the Skimmer on the right of your drawing they ran to pull from the deep end sections, and the back to the equipment pad with a Jandy Valve. The other skimmer on the top left of your edited drawing they have just skimming and running back to the equipment pad to the Jandy valve that the other Skimmer run goes to. So basically I will have both skimmers running to pull 50/50 at the same time?

Sounds correct to me.

By bottom deep end section you mean a main drain?

You have the main drain connected into one of the skimmers.

You have both skimmers run to the equipment pad and connected to a Jandy valve.

Should he have run from the bottom dual deep end sections and then Y'd it off from there to each of the skimmers and then each skimmer independently runs back to the Jandy valve that would shut one off or the other? I explained that exactly to him and he said he's never done that before?

What is "bottom dual deep end sections"? The main drain?

You don't Y the main drain connection to two skimmers.

The main drain is connected into one skimmer or home run to the equipment pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds correct to me.

By bottom deep end section you mean a main drain?

You have both skimmers run to the equipment pad and connected to a Jandy valve.

What is "bottom dual deep end sections"? The main drain?

You don't Y the main drain connection to two skimmers.

The main drain is connected into one skimmer or home run to the equipment pad.
Sorry ya "Dual Main Drains" is what I was trying to call them lol sorry about that. Ok so he does have it correct? My though was by having a Y come off the main drains to each Skimmer then I could turn 1 off or the other in case something get's stuck inside them? But what is the benefit of having them the way the PB put them in?

Thanks!

If both skimmers are run to a Jandy 3 way valve then you can turn off either of them if necessary.

Either post pics of what your PB did or draw a picture of what you currently have.

If both skimmers are run to a Jandy 3 way valve then you can turn off either of them if necessary.

Either post pics of what your PB did or draw a picture of what you currently have.
Here is a quick drawing on my phone as well as other pics of the other run and returns. How's it look so far? The skimmer on right goes to main drains in deep side. The skimmer on left is just skimming. Both skimmers using their own individual 2.5" pvc home run back to pad.

Attachments

• 20201208_185402.jpg
    20201208_185402.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201208_161136.jpg
    20201208_161136.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201208_161145.jpg
    20201208_161145.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201208_161151.jpg
    20201208_161151.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201208_161125.jpg
    20201208_161125.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201208_161047.jpg
    20201208_161047.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201208_161011.jpg
    20201208_161011.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 34
Looks fine.

You have both skimmers run to the equipment pad and they should be connected to a 3 way Jandy valve.

Looks fine.

You have both skimmers run to the equipment pad and they should be connected to a 3 way Jandy valve.
Ok Awesome! Thanks so much for verifying man I really appreciate it. How about the dual suction there for the waterfeatures. They used 2.5" pvc and then my 8' ft. long Rain waterfall and 2 - 3' ft. waterfalls on the pillars are fed by 2.5" pvc ? Is that ok?

Oh I know what I wanted to ask. I'm running a Pentair IntelliFlo VSF, Pentair IC40, Aquacal SQ225 (50amp), Pentair Intellicenter, then I want to run 2 or so 110v outlets off there and landscape LED lights. What gauge wire should I have ran?

Oh I know what I wanted to ask. I'm running a Pentair IntelliFlo VSF, Pentair IC40, Aquacal SQ225 (50amp), Pentair Intellicenter, then I want to run 2 or so 110v outlets off there and landscape LED lights. What gauge wire should I have ran?

Who is doing the electrical work?

Ok Awesome! Thanks so much for verifying man I really appreciate it. How about the dual suction there for the waterfeatures. They used 2.5" pvc and then my 8' ft. long Rain waterfall and 2 - 3' ft. waterfalls on the pillars are fed by 2.5" pvc ? Is that ok?

Depends on the specific requirements of the water features. If you are going to verify all the engineering on your pool then you need to supply all the details.

Merged threads - TFP Mod
Hello All,

First off - Thank you for any and all the help during my build, I have taken it all in and really appreciate it.

I have another post regarding my pool build that is currently going on. However, I wanted to separate this question from that build to ensure it doesn't get mixed with everything else. I've been doing a lot of reading on here regarding people's waterfalls or sheer descents but I can't find one on the same size and layout of my sheer rain water features
I have attached pictures and will describe below what I have:

One of the pictures was taken in the dark of the pipes that go back to the home run where the pump and everything will be are labeled: WFR for waterfall return, & WFS for Waterfall Suction. As you can see I have 3 returns and 1 suction. The pipe sizes are as follows:

*WFS - Shown in the picture with the yellow circle drawn around it is 2 - 2.5" inch pipes that combine into a single 2.5" inch pipe that goes back to the pump.

*WFR - 3 total each is 2"-inch pipes independently ran to each sheer rain feature.

The piping for all 3 sheer rain features you can see in the other picture which has the 3 pipes sticking straight up on the left-hand side of the pool.

*Qty. 1- 8'ft. sheer rain the PVC run from the pump is approx. 58' ft. then rising about 7.5' ft. up to the top of a Pergola that will be built. This one is the waterfall return using 2.5" inch pipe (Pentair P/N on this sheer rain I believe is: 581208FRW) **I may go down to 6' ft. depending on what is said about all this**

*Qty 2 - 3' ft. sheer rains PVC run from the pump is 29' ft. to the first one & 43' ft. to the second one. Each rise about 24" inches to pillars. Each waterfall return to each of these is independent of the other and use 2" inch pipe to each of these. (Pentair P/N on these sheer rains I believe is: 581203FRW)

Now for pumps, this is what I have:

1- Pentair VSF pump (Pentair P/N: 011056) for 2 skimmer setup and returns to pool
1- Pentair VSF pump (Pentair P/N: 011056) to power all 3 Sheer descents **OR SHOULD I CHANGE THIS TO A INTELLIFLO XF PUMP? If so does suction pipe size need to change too?

My Question with all this stuff is:

1.) Is the way the plumber plumbed everything seem ok?
2.) Is my 2.5" suction side just for my water features good enough?
3.) Is having 1 dedicated VSF pump for all 3 water features ok especially with each one having its own run separate returns?
4.) Do I have them go to the Filter, then heat pump (AquaCal SQ225 with bypass valve), before going to the water features, or bypass the filter & heat pump all together & pump Pentair Rock traps (Pentair P/N: 580004) behind each sheer rain?
5.) I read something about a loop to equalize the sheer descents do I need this or?

I still have time to fix anything if needed so PLEASE feel free to make suggestions

Attachments

• Pool Pipe 3.jpg
    Pool Pipe 3.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Pool Pipe 2.jpg
    Pool Pipe 2.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Pool Pipe 1.jpg
    Pool Pipe 1.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
This may help on volume flow in pipes.
#1 FlexPVC®.com Water Flow Charts Based on Pipe Size (GPM/GPH) ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"
Water Flow Volume for a given pipe size based on charts, tables, formula, nomograph, & experience.
flexpvc.com
flexpvc.com

Water features do not need to go through the filter, heater, etc. as their suction is from the main pool and the flow is back to the main pool thus it is all chlorinated water. Having the 2 suction lines tie into 1 suction is normal as that is new code to prevent entrapment Also having the suction on the wall minimizes debris that is sucked into the water feature system as you only have your pump filter basket to catch it.

Having a VSP dedicated pump for your water features is good. Remember to have a valve on each return so you can independently control flow to each.

I could not tell, but are both your skimmers independently plumbed back to the equipment pad. That would be good to have if not done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.