High pool pump pressure

I soak my filters in TSP every year. Wash them off well with a hose end sprayer.

Phosphates are of no consequence if you do not have algae. TFPC prevents algae.

You can still get a water sample and test the water chemistry, regardless if the pump is running.

I soak my filters in TSP every year. Wash them off well with a hose end sprayer.

Phosphates are of no consequence if you do not have algae. TFPC prevents algae.

Algae is back, so I added 2 bottles of liquid chlorine yesterday morning, pump is still running, but no water pressure and now the water has bubbly foams in it. Needs more cleaning but I need to bring the pressure down first.pool.JPG

Is it safe to rinse off the cartridge after TSP cleaning into the grass? Also, what about after acid cleaning? Where do I drain the water? Read somewhere to use ph UP first to neutralize the acid before discarding it into sewer line. How do I access the sewer line?:unsure:

Post a full set of test results from one of our recommended test kits. Also, fill out your signature with details about your pool and equipment (including test kit).

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

After we have this info, we can better assist you.

Multiple requests for this info....maybe you don’t want to clean the pool? :)

Is it safe to rinse off the cartridge after TSP cleaning into the grass? Also, what about after acid cleaning?
I clean my filters in the gutter at the street. Though I do not see how TSP will harm grass.

Rarely is there a need to clean filters with acid. I would not do that unless you have a very obvious scale problem.

Im also in Dallas and I would recommend you buckle down and follow the recommendations here. They are NOT as easy as dumping a shock in, but they actually WORK. You need to raise the chlorine level to a known amount based on your chemical reading and KEEP the chlorine there for 48 hours or more. In your case it will take more than a gallon of bleach. You will need to go to Walmart or somewhere and get 5 or 10 gallons and follow the slam instructions.

Its all about STABLE levels of chlorine to kill ALL the bad stuff. that's also why SWGs are so handy is because they provide CONSTANT chlorine. Not the intermittent peaks and valleys from intermittent applications. ( yes its too cold for SWG now in Dallas ) which is why you need about 10 gallons of bleach ...

Last edited:
Reactions: jseyfert3
Algae is back
It was likely never gone. Respectfully, you seem to be ignoring the advise of expert members here, who are telling you that you will not clear algae with a one time shock of chlorine. Clearing algae is a PITA process, but the TFPC method is the best way of doing it. I don't (yet) have a pool, but I've seen plenty of people go from algae to sparking clear water. That path is not an easy one, but if you follow the advise here, it's a sure path. If you keep doing a one-time shock of the pool, you're going to keep struggling with algae.

The problem with a one time shock is it will kill most of the algae, but not all, and later on the remaining algae will come back to life when the FC level drops.

As has been mentioned by multiple people, you need to SLAM, not shock. SLAM stands for Shock Level And Maintain. You bring the FC up to the shock level for your CYA, and hold it there until you kill all the algae. This will kill your algae, but you have to be willing to follow the procedure through till the end. If you do not, you'll end up wasting your time and money and be back to step 1 with a pool full of algae.

This article outlines how to do a SLAM. Be sure to have plenty of liquid chlorine on hand before you start, you will need a lot of it. You need to do a full set of tests, as people here have been asking you to do, especially the CYA test. You will have to test and add FC multiple times a day, as well as daily brushing, and probably cleaning the filter a lot as well. And you have to keep this up until the end conditions listed in the article. This will likely take several days at a minimum, probably longer (weeks, at the long end), but again, it WILL clear your algae once and for all!

After that, if you maintain your FC at the proper level for your CYA, you should never have to deal with algae ever again. That's the beauty of the TFPC method. I've seen members here with sparkling clear water that they maintain with ease year after year with no algae or clouding. Algae happens when your FC drops below the required level for your CYA, usually due to ignoring regular pool maintenance (which includes regular testing and addition of FC).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pv2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algae is fixed by chlorine, not filtering. Filtering just removes the dead algae once the chlorine has killed it. If you have a major algae problem and a small cartridge filter then your filter can clog rapidly. You need to work around the limitations of your filter.

One way is to run with the cartridge removed while following the SLAM Process for a few days. You need to test frequently and keep raising your FC back to the SLAM Level. Once you see the FC demand drop you can move to the filtering stage and put the cartridge back in while maintaining your SLAM FC level. You need to be prepared to clean the cartridge frequently. If you have two cartridges, you can rotate them having one filtering while cleaning the other.

Algae is back, so I added 2 bottles of liquid chlorine yesterday morning, pump is still running, but no water pressure and now the water has bubbly foams in it.

What brand liquid chlorine are you using?

great idea ajww22 - just remove the cartridge till the slam is done ... then deal with it

Not till the SLAM Process is done since you will not meet the exit criteria with clear water. Get a good amount of the SLAM Process done without the filter. A large algae problem can take weeks to totally clear. Rather then constant filter cleaning for weeks, concentrate the filter cleaning towards the end of the SLAM Process.

Does the OP have an aversion to posting their rest results as requested over 3 months ago? Without us knowing the current test results, we can't offer quality help.

The OP could use PoolMath and share the results here thru the app or post in the format requested previously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver_2000
Ok I removed the filter and immersed in TSP. Running the pump without filter now. Yes, I do know the SLAM process and I have effectively removed the algae before. I was out of town for the holidays again and neglected the pool for few weeks, that's how the algae came back. I will keep adding chlorine until it clears up. I was concerned if it's ok to run the pump without a filter. Thanks for all the responses. I will run the test once the water is little more clear and post it here.

I dont have any water pressure to run the pump. Need to clean the cartridge first.

Do you have a pressure washer? I wash mine about every 3rd time with a very small electric pressure washer and you will be surprised of the junk it gets out even after the normal washing..You have to be carefull and use a wide spray and always point it down to push the junk out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.