High pool pump pressure

nityntiy

May 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
My pump pressure is running high lately even after hosing down the cartridge 3-4 times. It starts at 8 psi and in 20 minutes or so, goes up to 16 psi. I had a lot of algae in it last month as I was out of town for several weeks. I ended up shocking the pool and washing the cartridge, but still, the pressure is running higher than normal. There is another valve next to the pump that leaks water. Not sure if that's the culprit. What are my options?

The blue component (whatever that is) leaks water through the top.

Attachments

nityntiy

May 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
Yes, that was couple weeks ago. Now the water is clear but cloudy and pressure is real high. The filter looks clean compared to the first 2-3 days, it was real dirty and greenish with all the algae in it. But now it looks normal. I checked the skimmer and it looks clean of debris as well.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
That leak on the pressure side does not contribute to high pressure. What does contribute is resistance (dead algae and debris) in your filter.

As Marty says above, I think you will find you still have algae and that your problem is with your chemistry and not with your filter.

nityntiy

May 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
Ok, I refilled the pool today and added some 10% liquid chlorine couple hours ago. Now I have only 2ppm free chlorine. Guess needs to remove further algae.

proavia

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Feb 6, 2015
Chandler AZ
Post a full set of test results from one of our recommended test kits. Also, fill out your signature with details about your pool and equipment (including test kit).

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

After we have this info, we can better assist you.

nityntiy

May 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
I read online algae slime can create a coating on the filter which is hard to remove through shocking. I think that's what's going on in my case. The filter doesn't look dirty but the pressure is real high. :(

Lilypad

Bronze Supporter
Nov 12, 2016
Plano, Texas
The blue component (whatever that is) leaks water through the top.
This is a Nature 2 cartridge. It will leak until you replace the cartridge, which isn't a good thing.
If you search the Forum, you'll find that it will: add metals to your pool that you don't need, not
do any of the things promised to keep your water "cleaner with less chlorine" and cost you a
ridiculous amount to replace the cartridge 2x a year. I think it's why the convenient "leak feature"
was added!

I had one for many years until I found TFP. I had the cartridge completely removed and had a
PVC piece added to patch the hole. I don’t miss it AT ALL. My pool looks great and I get to
save over $150+ annually.

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
You have algae still and the filter is gummed in the tight section of inner sleeve. TSP as recommended above is the best bet. I use a rubbermaid garbage can to soak them overnight