Faulty SWG cell or board?

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
Had new Hayward AQR15 system installed in 9/2015. Cell has been maintained according to directions & a test 2 weeks ago at a Hayward dealer indicates it is working as it should. For the past several months, weekly testing reveals that no matter where I set the Desired Output (%age of cell time on), the result is an FC reading of above 8 when tested using TFTestkit. I've lowered the %age in intervals of 10 from 70% to 20% during the past 6 weeks, but the FC readings remains at 8 or above. Only when I turn the unit off, does the FC figure drop. Testing last week was: FC at 8+; pH at 7.7; TA at 120; CH at 450; CYA at 45. Salt is holding steady at 3100. I've also noticed lately that when I adjust the Desired Output, the figure on the screen seems to drift up or down before settling, and then settles at about 15% higher than where I actually set the Desired Output knob. Would this indicate there might be a malfunction in the power board (or whatever it's called)? I know I need to make adjustments for CYA & TA. Would doing so affect the FC reading? Pump/filter runs 16 hours a day; 4 hours at 1350 rpm; 6 hours at 1100 rpm; and 6 hours at 2350 rpm. Many, many thanks.

Before replacing the display board, try removing and replacing it. Sometimes it's just the contacts between the the display board and the main board causing problems.

Thanks very much for all the replies. My main concern is that the FC reading remains constantly high, no matter where I set the percentage. It only drops when I switch it off. It's as if the %age setting is not being "read", and the cell just operates at 100%; like "on" and "off" are the only two settings.

when I adjust the Desired Output, the figure on the screen seems to drift up or down before settling, and then settles at about 15% higher than where I actually set the Desired Output knob

Interesting my system does the same thing with drifting but there is a big change in chlorine if I set it at 10ish% vs 80ish% My CYA is much higher (80) and my pool holds chlorine really well. I just figured the gauge wasn't very accurate. I'm down to running mine only 5 hours a day at between 20% and 35% depending on the drift and FC is around 6-7 for a few weeks now. I'd like to know if that drift is an issue mine was installed in 5/17 (brand new).

How are you testing FC/CYA? (didn't see in your sig)

-Tim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My FC level seems to be holding at a steady 8 ppm, using the TFTestkit, as well as the Taylor. I've contacted Hayward & am awaiting a reply. Mine is still under warranty, so if there is an issue with the power board, I'm assuming I'll have to go through them to get a replacement. I set the Desired Output %age at 15% three days ago, but FC still reads 8 when tested. I run mine for 16 hours at 3 different speeds.

I'm really most interested in if the diagnostic reading for percent agrees with your dial setting. Could you post the diagnostic readings?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.