Just converted to SWG

sedouglas72

Gold Supporter
Dec 5, 2022
Farmersville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I just added a Jandy APUREM unit and a PLC1400 cell. The first 24 hours I ran it at 50%, and when I checked the FC it was at 3. I bumped it up to 70%, and now 24 hours later, it is at 3.5. It seems like I should have more than that. I'm running the pump 12 hours a day at 2400 RPM (Max 3450). Salt is at 3200ppm. Although my pool builder said my pool is 13K gallons, I suspect it is closer to 18-19K gallons due to how much chlorine or salt I've had to add to get correct numbers in the past. Anyhow, I'm hesitant to bump it up to 100% as to keep its life longer. Higher RPM, longer pump time, or cell running at 100%, what do you all suggest?

Thanks!

70% of 12 hours should get you about 4.2 ppm FC. Subtract your daily FC loss for TX and picking up .5 ppm is probably about right.

Your cell makes 12 FC per 24 hours for you. If you need FC, you need FC. Use it, or you bought it for nothing because you're still lugging jugs. Saving its life is ridiculous when you spend more on liquid chlorine than is cell life is lost

Which reminds me. Anytime you find yourself anywhere near min, spike it immediately with LC. If you have an 8 FC and would like a 9.5, then you can adjust with the cell because you won't be dancing min anytime soon.

Treat low target as your absolute min and high target as your target while you learn.

swcg_chart.jpg

Reactions: markayash
This☝️☝️☝️☝️
Swcg’s are designed to be maintainers not play catch up.
Use liquid chlorine now & set your unit to produce 4ppm each day since it’s still hot in texas. Adjust as needed. Dosing & readjusting if you’re behind.
Here’s what that looks like if your pool is 18k gal.
IMG_7689.jpeg
You have a vsp - you could run it at a lower rpm around the clock & always be chlorinating & skimming with the cell set to 40 or 50%. Try 1200rpm. You only need to satisfy the flow switch & the heater when you want it to run.
Some people are able to go lower than that.

Reactions: Newdude
I just added a Jandy APUREM unit and a PLC1400 cell. The first 24 hours I ran it at 50%, and when I checked the FC it was at 3. I bumped it up to 70%, and now 24 hours later, it is at 3.5. It seems like I should have more than that. I'm running the pump 12 hours a day at 2400 RPM (Max 3450). Salt is at 3200ppm. Although my pool builder said my pool is 13K gallons, I suspect it is closer to 18-19K gallons due to how much chlorine or salt I've had to add to get correct numbers in the past. Anyhow, I'm hesitant to bump it up to 100% as to keep its life longer. Higher RPM, longer pump time, or cell running at 100%, what do you all suggest?

Thanks!
I was the same way at first trying to save my cell. But like others have said use it and enjoy the benefits.

This☝️☝️☝️☝️
Swcg’s are designed to be maintainers not play catch up.
Use liquid chlorine now & set your unit to produce 4ppm each day since it’s still hot in texas. Adjust as needed. Dosing & readjusting if you’re behind.
Here’s what that looks like if your pool is 18k gal.

You have a vsp - you could run it at a lower rpm around the clock & always be chlorinating & skimming with the cell set to 40 or 50%. Try 1200rpm. You only need to satisfy the flow switch & the heater when you want it to run.
Some people are able to go lower than that.

The only reason I run it a little higher is because of the spillover from the spa. The wife likes it to look nice instead of drips. But I could easily schedule it to run higher a few hours when she is likely to be out there.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The only reason I run it a little higher is because of the spillover from the spa. The wife likes it to look nice instead of drips. But I could easily schedule it to run higher a few hours when she is likely to be out there.
If your pump is energy efficient just run it at the same speed longer. We have a spill over spa also and I run mine 24/7. Energy cost with newer pumps isn’t bad and I enjoy a clean pool.
If you want to reduce the speed you may be able to partially close your other returns.
I pull from the pool and send everything back to the spa

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.