Any tips on prepping this surface for paint?

Aug 29, 2012
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Quick backstory:
This house was purchased three years ago and the 50 year old pool's surface was in disrepair. We hired a local pool installer company who prepped and painted the surface with this: Ramuc Type EP Epoxy Pool Paint.

After our second Michigan winter with this paint job, the paint is coming off in spots near the winter water line.

My plan is to scrape off loose paint, clean the surface with a powerwasher and repaint with the same paint.

Anything else I should know?

Many thanks

Pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_7049.jpg
    IMG_7049.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7050.jpg
    IMG_7050.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7051.jpg
    IMG_7051.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7052.jpg
    IMG_7052.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7053.jpg
    IMG_7053.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7054.jpg
    IMG_7054.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7055.jpg
    IMG_7055.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 20
For my mom's IG pool, we would powerwash to blast off the paint chips, let dry, and then paint when the forecast indicated we'd have at least 24 hours of drying time. Her pool was similar to yours. I almost thought the pictures were from her pool at first glance! (Sold her house in March, 2019. Minneapolis, MN.)

For my mom's IG pool, we would powerwash to blast off the paint chips, let dry, and then paint when the forecast indicated we'd have at least 24 hours of drying time. Her pool was similar to yours. I almost thought the pictures were from her pool at first glance! (Sold her house in March, 2019. Minneapolis, MN.)
Thanks for the suggestion. It is appreciated :)

How many years ago was that?

Paint compounds are not as good as they were years ago due to environmental regulations.

How many years ago was that?

Paint compounds are not as good as they were years ago due to environmental regulations.

Pool was built in 1968 and only painted in all these years. Not sure exactly when we starting having to paint on an annual or bi-annual basis, but probably for at least 10 years. Before that it might have been every 5 or so. You are so right about the paint being much worse in recent years. I know the last 4 years we painted every year. We tried to convince my mom to resurface, but she was adamant she didn't want to spend the $s.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.