Any tips on prepping this surface for paint?

denogginizer

Aug 29, 2012
Michigan
Quick backstory:
This house was purchased three years ago and the 50 year old pool's surface was in disrepair. We hired a local pool installer company who prepped and painted the surface with this: Ramuc Type EP Epoxy Pool Paint.

After our second Michigan winter with this paint job, the paint is coming off in spots near the winter water line.

My plan is to scrape off loose paint, clean the surface with a powerwasher and repaint with the same paint.

Anything else I should know?

Many thanks

Pictures:

Attachments

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I would highly suggest that you forego the paint which in general only last a couple of years and save up for a proper resurfacing.

gonfishin

Gold Supporter
Jun 13, 2017
Rochester, MN
For my mom's IG pool, we would powerwash to blast off the paint chips, let dry, and then paint when the forecast indicated we'd have at least 24 hours of drying time. Her pool was similar to yours. I almost thought the pictures were from her pool at first glance! (Sold her house in March, 2019. Minneapolis, MN.)

denogginizer

Aug 29, 2012
Michigan
For my mom's IG pool, we would powerwash to blast off the paint chips, let dry, and then paint when the forecast indicated we'd have at least 24 hours of drying time. Her pool was similar to yours. I almost thought the pictures were from her pool at first glance! (Sold her house in March, 2019. Minneapolis, MN.)
Thanks for the suggestion. It is appreciated :)

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
How many years ago was that?

Paint compounds are not as good as they were years ago due to environmental regulations.

gonfishin

Gold Supporter
Jun 13, 2017
Rochester, MN
How many years ago was that?

Paint compounds are not as good as they were years ago due to environmental regulations.
Pool was built in 1968 and only painted in all these years. Not sure exactly when we starting having to paint on an annual or bi-annual basis, but probably for at least 10 years. Before that it might have been every 5 or so. You are so right about the paint being much worse in recent years. I know the last 4 years we painted every year. We tried to convince my mom to resurface, but she was adamant she didn't want to spend the $s.

yeldogt

Mar 15, 2019
Mid-atlantic
Epoxy paint is very thin -- are you sure that not the plaster or some type of patch? I can't see how that is paint build up from one application. Wondering if they did some sort of patch prior to painting.

denogginizer

Aug 29, 2012
Michigan
Epoxy paint is very thin -- are you sure that not the plaster or some type of patch? I can't see how that is paint build up from one application. Wondering if they did some sort of patch prior to painting.
Sorry for the delay on this. It is the paint. It is Ramuc Hi Build Epoxy paint.

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
You'll need to pull/chip off ALL the loose paint surface and patch the gaps before you paint. I agree with the above poster - that cracking looks too thick to be just a paint coat.