ISO: Automation Installer in So Cal Carlsbad

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Hey all:
Looking to get an EZ-touch panel and possibly new VS pump installed in Carlsbad/La Costa area. I got a lot of great info here, but am not confortable with my electrical skills to try an install.
Any suggestions?

I read the sticky, I think its OK to ask, but if not, mods feel free to move or delete.

Good luck on the new install! Your signature shows you have an Intelliflo so is that the new pump or are you replacing it? An EasyTouch works great with an Intelliflo and I suggest you consider adding an Intellichlor SWCG to create your chlorine and really minimize your maintenance. Just be sure to have a proper test kit and do your own water chemistry adjustments.

Installation can be done by an electrician and plumber. Be sure to register your Pentair equipment with copies of their invoice for your extended warranty.

Take care.

j,

I can't help with a local installer, but I have a couple of thoughts about your upgrade. (That's a couple more than I usually have all day.. :p )

Keep in mind that the EasyTouch won't be able to communicate with your current SWCG. It would be able to turn it on/off, but not provide any cell information, such as salt level, or output percentage. You would still have to use the old salt system to adjust things.

You may want to buy a package deal where the ET comes with an internal salt system power supply and an IC40 salt cell.

Make sure you get the right ET for your needs. The ones that have an "L" in the model number are "light" versions and do not have a load center (Where all the circuit breakers go) and do not have as many features. But they are cheaper..

It appears you do not have a spa... but in case you do, the ET comes in two models, one for Pool only and one for Pool and Spa. If you have a spa make sure you do not get the Pool only version. The Pool and Spa version works fine for either case.

I would suggest that you also get the ScreenLogic2 add on, which allows you to control everything from your PC, Phone, or Tablet. Having ScreenLogic makes the ET 10 times easier to use and program.

The ET is not difficult to install, but the first time is rather confusing, so I would recommend someone that has done an install a few times before. I would call Pentair and ask who they use for their Repair Rep in the area... then call them and see who they might recommend. Or talk with a local pool builder and see if they will provide a lead.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

As Marty points out, the IntelliFlo is a great pump. Be careful if you buy another VS pump, as the ET is not designed to control anything but the various models of the IntelliFlo pump.

Thanks Jim, thats helpful info. I do have a pool and spa. The valves are located about 30 ft around the corner from the heater and filter, so I assume I'll need wifi-connected actuators to change them? I also plan on doing the screen logic, as that seems to simplify things. I will also eventually do the IC salt system, once my current aquarite bites the dust.

Any opinion on whether to shop for the parts first, then find the installer? It always seems like the installers want to make more on the parts as well, and just hiring for their services is the better way to go, but wanted to see if anyone else had input.
Thanks
Joel

Joel,

I certainly understand wanting to wait for the salt system.. The down side of doing that is the ET with the built in salt cell power supply usually comes with the IC40 SWCG. It is cheaper to buy the package deal than it is to buy the external power supply and cell later.

Here is a link for reference... Pentair Easy Touch Control System 520543 | Pentair 520543.. this package come with an ET 4, IC40, and two valve actuators... ScreenLogic is an additional $360 or so.

The valves actuators are not connected to Wi-Fi.. I'm not sure that is even available??? The actuators are connected by a wire to the ET, which controls them. True Wi-Fi is not even needed at all depending on what you want to do.. The ET is connected by a wireless, or wired, connection to an adapter in your house that is then connected to your house network. So from your PC you use your normal network connection, from your Phone you can just use your cell phone connection. If what to use a tablet you will need to use the Wi-Fi connection in your house. And if you have Wi-Fi around your pool you can use the tablet or Phone using Wi-Fi if you wish.

I would try to find an installer that is willing to install your equipment before I bought anything, just to be safe.

Thanks,

Jim R.

So your valves are not on your equipment pad? The actuators come pre-wired but they are only about 10' long. I am sure you can extend them ----

Joel,

So, I am confused.. Does not take much, I know... :p

Most Automation systems are located at, or very close to, the equipment pad.

Where are the circuit breakers for your pumps, heater, etc. located???

A picture of your equipment pad would be a big help..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Joel,

So, I am confused.. Does not take much, I know... [emoji14]

Most Automation systems are located at, or very close to, the equipment pad.

Where are the circuit breakers for your pumps, heater, etc. located???

A picture of your equipment pad would be a big help..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Haha. I will shoot some pics tomorrow, but valves are near Jacuzzi, and breaker panel, heater, filter etc are on a pad around the corner of house away from pool.

The equipment pad is on the left side of the second pic, and the valves are under the stairs where the red boxing dummy is located. To hardwire the valves, I'd have to cross a cement walkway somehow, or build an arch across the equipment pad. . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Joel,

Nice looking setup.. I can now understand the installation issues..

Unfortunately, the ET, and all automation systems, are designed to work in close proximity to the equipment pad... Sigh!!!

The pump is controlled by a serial cable that is about 15 or 20 feet long. The heater would need a two wire connection and the blower a 120 volt connection..

Either way you go, you will need to get wires from one side to the other.

Your wireless valve idea would be great, but I have no idea how it could be done.

Sorry,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.