IntelliCenter Quick Reference/Information Guide

Hi @MyAZPool. Your advice has been a blessing for me. I'm currently in the middle of an install with Dual Body personality card and I'm actually having to teach my PB about it based on your knowledge. Still trying to understand how to hook up my two intellichems (yes, I know. But I still want to give it a try, mostly for the pH side) and two intellichlors. But I digress.

So, I see the Alexa skill for the Intellicenter is currently not available. Do you know if Pentair have an ETA on that? Having the automation and not Alexa is frustrating.

Many thanks in advance!
@mzuniga
No news on the Alexa skill. I've lost all hope for that.
Sorry...
r.

@MyAZPool one question. Im I correct in that when powering my Intelliflo Pumps directly to their respective breakers there will be no need to use the Filter Pump relay (in the high voltage panel) or Filter Pump Circuit (in the low volt panel). My PB let that disconnected. Thanks!

@mzuniga
When utilizing an IntelliFlo pump for your filter pump. You should always either.
1. Connect pump power directly to the breaker. OR
2. Connect pump power to the "Line" side (NOT the Load Side) of the filter pump relay. In this case, the Line side of the filter pump relay would also be connected to the Filter Pump breaker. In essence, this method is merely doing the same thing as connecting the pump directly to the breaker.

In most situations when utilizing an IntelliFlo pump, the "Load" side of the filter pump relay would only be used for connecting the power wires from the IntelliChlor transformer.

1633799065672.png

r.

@mzuniga
When utilizing an IntelliFlo pump for your filter pump. You should always either.
1. Connect pump power directly to the breaker. OR
2. Connect pump power to the "Line" side (NOT the Load Side) of the filter pump relay. In this case, the Line side of the filter pump relay would also be connected to the Filter Pump breaker. In essence, this method is merely doing the same thing as connecting the pump directly to the breaker.

In most situations when utilizing an IntelliFlo pump, the "Load" side of the filter pump relay would only be used for connecting the power wires from the IntelliChlor transformer.

View attachment 376912

r.
Yes. That is how I have it set it up. Now, the Pump Filter Relay is really no different than the other relays right? I mean, is merely the Aux 0 so to speak? Thanks!

6. Related Pool Equipment/Accessories Definitions and Descriptions -
IntelliChem: The IntelliChem Water Chemistry Controller is a pH and ORP sensing device that dispenses correct amounts of chlorine or bromine, muriatic acid or CO2 gas. View attachment 127334The IntelliChem controller provides continual analysis of your swimming pool water sanitation and pH levels, providing real-time status information to dispense the proper amount of muriatic acid (pH reducer) and chlorine or bromine for the correct sanitization and pH balance.​
The IntelliChem controller operates with or without a salt chlorine generator to provide a self-replenishing supply of chlorine generated from salt. The IntelliChem controller is supported by and integrates with the IntelliCenter Control System. For additional information refer to: IntelliChem Water Chemistry Controller Installation and User’s Guide

NOTE: Personally I choose not to opt for the installation and use of the IntelliChem due to quite a bit of advice received on TFP concerning issues with ORP sensing reliability. However, some users have reported success with the chemistry controller. There are quite a few threads on TFP that examine the pros and cons of the IntelliChem with many user opinions provided.​
At this time, I personally feel that the combination of the IntelliChlor/IntellipH installation works much better for me as a personal choice. This choice allows me automatic chlorine generation in combination with automatic acid dosing, which simply just requires regular pool water chemistry testing and then making minor adjustments to the SCG through the IntelliCenter and then IntellipH dosing level adjustments via the IntellipH controller during the swim season.​
IntelliChlor Salt Chlorine Generator (SCG): A Pentair Salt Chlorine Generator device that uses a process known as electrolysis to produce sodium hypochlorite (liquid View attachment 127335chlorine) from a low concentration of salt added to the pool water. The amount of chlorine produced by the SCG can be adjusted through the IntelliCenter Control System, as determined by regular pool water testing and then adjusted accordingly.​
NOTE: There is an abundance of high quality information and guidance on TFP regarding the IntellliChlor and some outstanding Salt Chlorine Generator general information at TFP Pool School.​
IntelliChlor Controller Circuit Board: The IntellliChlor Controller Circuit Board is provided for and installed in either an IntelliCenter Load Center or Power Center when bundled with the IntelliChlor SCG option or it can be purchased separately.​
View attachment 127336The IntelliChlor controller circuit board is mounted on the right-hand back wall of the IntelliCenter Load/Power Center in the low voltage compartment (if installed). In combination with the IntelliChlor transformer located in the IntelliCenter high-voltage compartment, they combine to provide the same functionality as the separate IntelliChlor SCG Power Center Enclosure.​
The IntelliChlor controller circuit board is connected via two wires (one through the SCG low voltage circuit breaker) to the IntelliChlor transformer (located in the IntelliCenter line-voltage compartment) by which it receives low voltage ac power through the connectors’ labeled J8 and J9. The controller board is also connected to the IntelliCenter RS-485 bus on the motherboard via a 4-conductor control cable (J4 or J5). There are three RS-485 4-conductor terminals located on the IntelliChlor circuit board (J2, J3 and J4).​
NOTE: Any of the RS-485 4-pin conductor terminals (J2, J3 and J4), can not only be connected to the IntelliCenter Mother Card but they can also be used as additional RS-485 connections for any piece of equipment that may require such connection.
The IntelliChlor cell is connected to the controller circuit board via a 4-conductor control cable as illustrated and supplies low voltage dc electrical current which the cell requires in order to produce chlorine.​
IntelliChlor Transformer: The IntelliChlor transformer (if installed) is mounted in the high voltage compartment, just below the system transformer. In combination with View attachment 127337the IntelliChlor Controller Circuit Board, located in the IntelliCenter low voltage compartment, they provide the same functionality as the separate IntelliChlor SCG Power Center Enclosure.​
The purpose of the IntelliCenter transformer is simply to convert line-voltage ac power to an ac voltage useable by the IntelliChlor Controller Circuit Board. The transformer typically receives line-voltage ac power via the LOAD side terminals of the filter pump circuit relay, converts that power to a usable voltage and then delivers it to the IntelliChlor Controller Circuit Board located in the IntelliCenter low voltage compartment via the two red wires on the right-hand side of the relay.​
The IntelliChlor Transformer can utilize either 240 Vac or 120 Vac. It is pre-wired at the factory for 240 Vac when bundled, which is preferred for most typical installations.​
Note: The IntelliChlor transformer should always be connected to the LOAD side compression terminal screw(s) of the Filter Pump Relay as illustrated on pp36 of the IntelliCenter Control System Installation Guide. Doing so will insure that the IntelliChlor Cell can only be energized when the filter pump circuit is also energized, causing water to flow through the IntelliChlor cell and thus preventing possible damage to the cell.​
IntellipH: The IntellipH system adds acid to the pool every hour that the filter pump is operating. The dispense amount is based on the user’s settings through the IntellipH View attachment 127338control panel. The amount of acid added each hour can be quickly changed by pressing either the MORE or LESS buttons with a range of 1% - 100% in 1% increments on the IntellipH control panel. If 0% is selected, no acid will be dispensed.​
If an IntellipH and IntelliChlor Salt Chlorine Generator cell are used in combination with the IntelliCenter, then the IntelliChlor Cell should be connected via the IntellipH controller and the IntellipH controller is connected to the IntelliCenter (IntelliChlor connection). In other words, the IntelliChlor cell is then connected “in-series” with the IntellipH controller.​
There is an abundance of high quality information and guidance on TFP containing detailed IntellipH installation, operation and care.​
NOTE: Acid dispensing amounts from the IntellipH are NOT currently supported by the IntelliCenter Control System at this time but in my experience this is not a big deal. I would however like to be able to control manual acid dosing in the winter from my desktop or my iPhone IntelliCenter app but again, no big deal. Maybe someday. :(
IntelliValve (P/N 521485): The IntelliValve Valve Actuator is an electronically controlled, motorized valve actuator which rotates the diverter valve located within a Jandy or similar type pool valve, to a set position for the desired proportion of water flow necessary for various applications (pool/spa intake and return, flow to water features, opening of heater View attachment 127339bypass valve, etc). From the control pad, the IntelliValve valve actuator provides easy setup and control of your diverter valve for pool and spa combinations, water features, heater bypass, etc.​
Two (2) IntelliValves are included with ALL IntelliCenter "PS" model bundled systems or the Personality Kits. Additional relays can be purchased separetely. Further information on which kits include the IntelliValve can be found in the IntelliCenter Bundled and Component Parts List.​
Thirteen (13) bright LEDs provide a clear visual indication of the valve position from fully open to fully closed (180 degrees) and anywhere in between in 3.75 degree increments. Simply use the left/right and Save buttons to set the exact water flow.​
The IntelliValve Valve Actuator supports Jandy, Pentair, Compool or Ortega diverter valves. The IntelliValve is suitable for 1.5”, 2”, 2.5” and 3” valve sizes. Allows for adjustable 3.75 degree increments within the maximum 180 degree range.​
Compatible and supported by the IntelliCenter Control System but not to its full capability at this time unfortunately. :(
Please refer to: RS-485 “Peer-to-Peer” communications above, for additional information regarding this oversight.​
For other additional information refer to: IntelliValve Valve Actuator Installation and User’s Guide
Surge Protective Device (SPD): A Surge Protective Device (SPD) is an electrical protective device for limiting transient voltages by diverting or limiting surge current and is View attachment 127340capable of repeating these functions as specified. A majority of surges originate with motor-based devices as well.​
The IntelliCenter Control System can usually be protected from these transients or spikes by incorporating an SPD at the IntelliCenter Load Center. Most suitable SPD’s that are most effective at minimizing the effect of these surges are typically connected to a dedicated double-pole circuit breaker mounted closest to the SPD.​
It seems all the links in this EXCELLENT article are broken. I can search for the linked documents, but it would be great to have the links working!

It seems all the links in this EXCELLENT article are broken. I can search for the linked documents, but it would be great to have the links working!
@hphilpott
Thanks for the heads up.
I think that I managed to fix most if not all links this afternoon.
Hope you find it more usable now.

Hopefully, Pentair will stop messing with the links. :p
r.

The controller board is also connected to the IntelliCenter RS-485 bus on the motherboard via a 4-conductor control cable (J4 or J5). There are three RS-485 4-conductor terminals located on the IntelliChlor circuit board (J2, J3 and J4).​
NOTE: Any of the RS-485 4-pin conductor terminals (J2, J3 and J4), can not only be connected to the IntelliCenter Mother Card but they can also be used as additional RS-485 connections for any piece of equipment that may require such connection.
I'm trying to understand this here. I have an Intellicenter with this card. It's connected via the control cable. To use the other RS-485 conductor terminals, do I have to connect them to the main motherboard?

For example, I currently have my MasterTemp connected to one of the ports on this card and I'm not getting communication. Is the port ready to go out of the box? or do I need to connect each individual port back to the motherboard?

@nrobfd_pl
J2, J3 and J4 on the IntelliChlor Controller Board should work in providing an RS-485 connection so long as the Controller board is connected to J4 or J5 on the mother card.
I used those connections before I obtained a Serial COM Port Expansion Board (Port Multiplexer) (P/N 520818) with no problems.

Try temporarily connecting your MasterTemp directly to J4 or J5 on the mother card and see if you then get RS-485 connectivity.
BTW, you can have more than one device connected to either J4 or J5. i.e. IntelliFlo 3 and MasterTemp connected connected to J4. IntelliChlor connected to J5.
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrobfd_pl
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.