Automation, SWG decisions

I know what.. I meant now... duh... 1xGFCI for pump and 1xGFCI for Intellicenter...
Lot's of electronics in the Intellicenter so that would make sense.
Eco,

Code requires a GFCI breaker on pool pumps for safety. Not sure it really protects electronics. You need a Type 1 or Type 2 surge protector for that. If you have an Intellicenter in Florida I would have both due to the amount of lightning we experience. Lightning fried several components in my previous control system (Jandy RS). Any qualified electrician can install a Type 1 or 2. The Type 1 is installed under your meter and costs about $400 installed. Type 2 is installed in your breaker box and costs a little less. Type 1 is the only one that protects against a power surge due to lightning that strikes the power line.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: MyAZPool
Eco,

I'm not sure what valves you'll need to actuate automatically. As Jim mentioned for my spa I have two that switch my pool to spa mode. I also have one additional that open's and closes the bypass for my solar heater. Looking at your signature I don't see a spa or a solar heater. Is this correct? If you don't have those or some other feature that requires a valve what would you need an actuator for?

Chris

About the breaker for the pump - saw somewhere on TFP that the Pentair breaker, IntelliFlo GFCI Breaker 2-Pole 20A (PA220GF), was recommended for a VS - something about it was "tuned" to not trip the GFCI falsely. Wonder if that'd be true for your VSF too.

Eco,

I'm not sure what valves you'll need to actuate automatically. As Jim mentioned for my spa I have two that switch my pool to spa mode. I also have one additional that open's and closes the bypass for my solar heater. Looking at your signature I don't see a spa or a solar heater. Is this correct? If you don't have those or some other feature that requires a valve what would you need an actuator for?

Chris
Only thing I can think of is 1 for fountain (currently has manual valve*) and 1 for “backwash” if I need to drain pool
*piping and valve exist, I need to buy fountain and fix PVC break

About the breaker for the pump - saw somewhere on TFP that the Pentair breaker, IntelliFlo GFCI Breaker 2-Pole 20A (PA220GF), was recommended for a VS - something about it was "tuned" to not trip the GFCI falsely. Wonder if that'd be true for your VSF too.
Thanks! Hopefully it is type 1
Eco,

Code requires a GFCI breaker on pool pumps for safety. Not sure it really protects electronics. You need a Type 1 or Type 2 surge protector for that. If you have an Intellicenter in Florida I would have both due to the amount of lightning we experience. Lightning fried several components in my previous control system (Jandy RS). Any qualified electrician can install a Type 1 or 2. The Type 1 is installed under your meter and costs about $400 installed. Type 2 is installed in your breaker box and costs a little less. Type 1 is the only one that protects against a power surge due to lightning that strikes the power line.

I hope this helps.

Chris
yes thank you that does help.

eco,

Sorry, I took your post to mean you were no longer using your skimmers. :mrgreen:

Your IntelliCenter needs a surge protector, not a GFCI.. Two different things.. A GFCI prevents someone from dying if there is an electrical problem.. The surge protector helps prevent the IntelliCenter from dying if there is an electrical surge.

Jim R.

Reactions: MyAZPool
eco,

Sorry, I took your post to mean you were no longer using your skimmers. :mrgreen:

Your IntelliCenter needs a surge protector, not a GFCI.. Two different things.. A GFCI prevents someone from dying if there is an electrical problem.. The surge protector helps prevent the IntelliCenter from dying if there is an electrical surge.

Jim R.
Cool I somehow thought GFCI included surge protection.. thanks!

Thanks! Hopefully it is type 1
I'm talking about a breaker for the pump that goes in the IntelliCenter panel; type 1 is a type of surge protector to protect electronics from voltage spikes like Jim said. Again, two different beasties. The pump breaker must be GFCI like Chris said.

Last edited:
Just to clarify my post #81. I use a type 1 and type 2 surge protector. The type 1 is the only one that will really protect against a line surge from lightning striking near a power line or transformer "upstream" of your house. Type 2 protects against surges created within your home circuitry. Surprisingly most surge damage is from this which happens when appliances with large motors start and other things I don't really understand but I take the experts word for it.

My installation also complies with applicable code so I have a GFCI breaker for the pool pumps.

Chris

Does anyone have a complete bill of materials or other document that shows all the components they bought? I know each build is different but there are commonalities like part# for GCFI and breakers..
I assume Intellicenter comes with 0 breakers and I should use Pentair instead of pulling from my old panel?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd like to see that too, but AFAIK, only the pump with its special harmonics or something benefits from have a Pentair breaker.

Pool contractor (lets call them C) showed up today- seemed keen to sell Jabdy Automation threw out $3k ... but what really peeled my interest is he said the sprinkler system is replaced with one that is integrated to that system.. he asked me how many zones I need to control (which says to me it isn’t just a power on/off relay type thing)
Anyone know about this?
does Pentair have that option?
I was thinking about the options (mentioned here) but that would require another application to control it
It would be great to integrate everything

My existing sub-panel has a transformer for the pool light.
Does the Intellicenter (or any automation) include transformers for Pool lights? I just received a quote for the addition of an external transformer.. near $300!
Is that right? (That I have to have an external transformer?

Bright Idea... I am thinking that buying from Polytec Pools and finding a contractor to install (because I don't want/can't install myself AND I need them to sign the warranty card) might be my best bet.
Can anyone suggest how to go about finding a contractor who can work with me? PM works.
Thank you

I ended buying from polytec after all. They said Pentair was really pretty lenient on their definition of Qualified Installer & sent me to Pentair warranty. HVAC caught my eye 'cause I have a really good, long term relationship with mine & I'm going to try him first to inspect & sign. Really fast delivery: ordered Wed, pump & filter here today & IntelliCenter due on Sunday. Polytec did say that they thought it'd be tough to find a pool guy to install owner-purchased equipment.

Last edited:
I ended buying from polytec after all. They said Pentair was really pretty lenient on their definition of Qualified Installer & sent me to Pentair warranty. HVAC caught my eye 'cause I have a really good, long term relationship with mine & I'm going to try him first. Really fast delivery: ordered Wed, pump & filter here today & IntelliCenter due on Sunday.
Very good news congrats on your new system! I saw the language is lenient but I think first I need to find someone who agrees to do it..
Keep us up in your install
do you have a Bill of materials ?

I ended buying from polytec after all. They said Pentair was really pretty lenient on their definition of Qualified Installer & sent me to Pentair warranty. HVAC caught my eye 'cause I have a really good, long term relationship with mine & I'm going to try him first to inspect & sign. Really fast delivery: ordered Wed, pump & filter here today & IntelliCenter due on Sunday. Polytec did say that they thought it'd be tough to find a pool guy to install owner-purchased equipment.
Just read the warranty link - thank you for posting that.. seems it must be a pump AND filter to qualify
I was planning to keep the Hayward filter.. I guess I will have to consider adding that :( then ask myself if the additional expense is worth it..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.