This one is for me....

Build it, chain yourself to roof with nothing on but a pink thong tutu, call the local news station, and then dare the city to come and tear it all down!!!

Hey, it’s California, nuttier things have happened there....

Hey, it’s California, nuttier things have happened there....

Daily! :laughblue:

The planner finally called me back and basically said all of my comparables had "landscape buffers" which makes them standard lots...I have landscaping on the street side of my wall... Why is mine not a buffer???

The craziest thing is the house directly across the street from me was built 5ft from their property line. The planner said that house is "existing non-conforming" then went on to tell me that my only option is to change the design of the patio.

:brickwall:

Here's what I'm kicking around. I'm not really sure a balcony would be worth it since I don't see it getting a lot of use. The other one is probably what I'll end up going with.

I feel like I gave since I'm not fighting the city more on the original plan but I guess I should be happy to build anything at all...

Untitled 7.jpg

Untitled 6.jpg

Both would work. I like Jim's idea of the spiral staircase as well. It is so classy looking. BUT like you I don't see it getting a lot of use once the novelty is over.

You gave it a VERY good fight. They put up firm stops so it is time to move on and do what you can do and make it work.

Kim:kim:

Assuming that’s your bedroom up by the balcony, it might save you a trip down your stair lift chair when you are geezin’ in order to get some fresh air.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agree re: balcony option is cool. Spiral staircase is both a hazard and safety feature at the same time! Lol

In the three years I’ve been in my community — and those types of balconies are everywhere here — I’ve literally never seen them in use.

I almost put on one my house during this build because it would be an awesome permanent place to put my telescope but it pushed the budget too far.

+1 balcony! Especially if there's something nice to look at from up there. No stairs, no pole. It's a sanctuary, inaccessible by kids or ne'er do wells. It breaks up that big, blank wall of house nicely, too. Much better looking design.

I miss my balcony...

I am really liking that balcony! Spiral staircase up to there and just hang out and watch the night sky. You have a view of up higher? That would make it worth it!

There isn't much of a view so I'm leaning away from that option. I am also in fear of what the engineer will make me do :roll:

Assuming that’s your bedroom up by the balcony, it might save you a trip down your stair lift chair when you are geezin’ in order to get some fresh air.

No stair chair for me. When I'm of age I'll just take a head first dive :super:

Given the OP’s penchant for jumping off elevated structures, my money is on the balcony option....

And that might be another issue....I'd be jumping for sure!

+1 balcony! Especially if there's something nice to look at from up there. No stairs, no pole. It's a sanctuary, inaccessible by kids or ne'er do wells. It breaks up that big, blank wall of house nicely, too. Much better looking design.

I miss my balcony...

I have a height restriction to deal with and my lot is zoned for 2 stories max. It's really too bad because the view would be awesome. I'll grab a picture when I take the Christmas lights down

The balcony was shot down by the HOA but that wasn't much of a surprise because of the height.

On a positive note, I may have gotten the setback issue resolved so I'm back to the original plan. I won't celebrate yet but things are looking promising.

Capture.jpg

On a positive note, I may have gotten the setback issue resolved so I'm back to the original plan. I won't celebrate yet but things are looking promising.

So my suggestion to show up at the city building office dressed up in your Chip & Dale’s speedo with bow tie and giving them a little show for free seems to be working in your favor :party:

So I guess I left this thread hanging...

Long story short I "borrowed" some surveying equipment and found that my property line wasn't where the tract map showed. I revised the plans (I even made the patio a little bigger), had them re-engineered (that took 40+ days :roll:) and took them to the city. Planning signed off of the setbacks and sent them off to Building Safety for review.

In just a short 15 business days (February 28th :shock:), I should find out if the project is approved or not.

I'm fully expecting a bunch of corrections which means 40 more days with the engineer and only 10 business days with the city. With any luck I can be digging as soon as 2020:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.