This one is for me....

Joannie and Mike...right? They had an EPIC o/b pool build thread 2 seasons ago.

Four words - Garbage Disposal Margarita Machine !!!

Reactions: bdavis466
Ah, that one never gets old....how are those guys doing??? Sad they had to sell the house right after they put in that O/B pool....

They post on Instagram a fair amount and they are deep in a remodel of the home they purchased in Norco. The house must have a pool because I see invoices on my account from Mike's purchases at SCP?.

That was a fun time on the forum... almost makes me sad to look back. I stumbled across their thread a little while ago and forgot just how funny it was

Ok, my eyes are bleeding from reading all 60 pages, but man was that thread funny!
I’ve never seen Matt babble so much in a thread! Between his love of 80’s music, (sorry Brian, huge flock of seagulls fan myself) and him ribbing Kim for her needing more “topless man” photos, he was like a kid on Christmas.

But the real show stopper (well besides the #bananahamickflamethrowerguy) was, his stunning display of his tile work on his outdoor kitchen!! (@JoyfulNoise I know you still have the photos from take 1, and the truth shall set you free!) :laughblue::laughblue:

Sooooooo.............still waiting on the city.

In the mean time I've directed my attention to the living room of the home. The room has disgusting tan, puke, baby poop colored carpet, a weird round drop ceiling and an arched stairwell. The curves are offset from one another and just look odd. The plan it to blow it out and clean it up in the process.

I don't have a before picture but here's the room from when the house was listed

And here is is now :laughblue:

I had hoped to open up the room a little by removing a couple of the smaller walls but there is a giant glulam beam that bears on a post in the wall in question so that isn't an option.

I'm thinking the arched hallway opening needs to go now but I'll have to talk to the wife about that. She likes it :roll:

The fire sprinklers ran through the drop ceiling so they'll need to be redone and this half of the upper and lower story will need the elctrical rewired. Both were nice little surprises...

Wait....your home has fire sprinklers in it?? Is that standard code where you are? Do you have to have them tested and certified??

Just admit it .... you like to break shi .... stuff!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All the two-stories in our subdivision have sprinklers. Even as a retired Fire Chief, I thought it a bit excessive to require it. And if you are going to require them, why just two-stories?

Last edited:
Residential sprinklers have been in the California fire code since 2006. Every home has had to have them ever since.

Orange County on the other hand has required them since the late 90's :shock:
This house was built built in 2001

The reason that this is a bad thing is that you can't just run down to the store and pick up parts. Fire sprinklers are basically a mafia-type industry where they only sell to licensed fire sprinkler contractors. Residential sprinklers use CPVC pipe, special glue and Hardware that is unique to the industry.

Maybe I'll just cap the line :suspect:

Last edited:
What's the rated output from one of those? I brought it up because I worked in a chemical lab that had both sprinkler heads and safety showers. They required constant testing to stay compliant with fire code regs and insurance requirements. The chemical safety showers put out 50GPM of very cold water....not sure which is worse, being splashed with deadly chemicals or having a heart attack induced by 50GPM of near-freezing water :scratch:
But yes, sprinklers can put out a ton of water so, you've saved the home from fire only to have it destroyed by water and gutted to remmediate it from water & mold damage....

Reminds me of the requirements here that you have to have a back-flow preventer on any irrigation loop (or else Tucson water won't hook you up to their main). For residential homes, you are required to have the RPZ valve BUT there's no requirement to submit annual testing (only when the home ownership transfers)....so, you have to install an expensive piece of hardware that serves no rational purpose other than to waste a homeowners time and money....yup, that's the building codes for ya.....

nice tear out! get some nice built up trim all over that room. :)

they just made sprinklers code in homes around here. it makes installing a dedicated theatre a real pain for soundproofing when we need to work around them.

As far as commercial sprinklers, there has never been a mass loss of life in a building with a proper operating sprinkler system, which is one heck of a safety record. So any water damage caused is certainly offset by the safety factor.

My 40 years in the fire service was in the East Coast and Midwest where residential sprinklers are virtually nonexistent. But my understanding was that residential sprinkler heads unlike commercial do not stay open once activated. They shut down once cooled.

Back flow valves prevent siphoning water out of your irrigation system back into the water mains, in the event of a loss of pressure in the city’s system. It’s a pretty simple device and if it fails it usually in the open (water leak) mode. There are also little backflow preventors at each outside hose bib for the same reason. What surprised me is we had a complete loss of pressure that was not followed by an official “boil order” as it would have been back east. The mains themselves can siphon contamination into the system. But maybe in a desert, not so much.

What's the rated output from one of those? I brought it up because I worked in a chemical lab that had both sprinkler heads and safety showers. They required constant testing to stay compliant with fire code regs and insurance requirements. The chemical safety showers put out 50GPM of very cold water....not sure which is worse, being splashed with deadly chemicals or having a heart attack induced by 50GPM of near-freezing water :scratch:
But yes, sprinklers can put out a ton of water so, you've saved the home from fire only to have it destroyed by water and gutted to remmediate it from water & mold damage....

Reminds me of the requirements here that you have to have a back-flow preventer on any irrigation loop (or else Tucson water won't hook you up to their main). For residential homes, you are required to have the RPZ valve BUT there's no requirement to submit annual testing (only when the home ownership transfers)....so, you have to install an expensive piece of hardware that serves no rational purpose other than to waste a homeowners time and money....yup, that's the building codes for ya.....

15 gpm per head. My static pressure is 170 PSI so I'm certain that one head will flow much more than that. The system is supposed to get tested every 5 years but there isn't anyone to enforce it. Nothing came up when we bought the house so who knows???

I don't want to but I know it's in my best interest to repair the lines. I've already called around to a couple places to source the materials and add soon as they hear I'm not a licensed sprinkler guy they hang up. I got my general license so I could do anything...I guess sprinklers are out :laughblue:

As far as commercial sprinklers, there has never been a mass loss of life in a building with a proper operating sprinkler system, which is one heck of a safety record. So any water damage caused is certainly offset by the safety factor.

My 40 years in the fire service was in the East Coast and Midwest where residential sprinklers are virtually nonexistent. But my understanding was that residential sprinkler heads unlike commercial do not stay open once activated. They shut down once cooled.

There is that life safety aspect...:laughblue:

The residential heads are the same as commercial. They have a frangible bulb so once popped, they stay open. There is no shutoff for the riser either, the water can only get shut off at the meter.

I've only been on a handful of residential fires with sprinkler systems but they all had absolutely devastating water damage. I guess that's nothing if a life is saved....

They sure did love their curves.............that ceiling was weird though.

Those walls you wanted to take out.......... you can't put a post there? What purpose does that whole thing serve? Just built around the support beam?

I am kinda with your wife on the staircase curve.....that is neat and different.

I am guessing you have another living area to escape to while this mess is happening?

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.