Talk me off the edge! (Automation, etc.)

JJOM

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 28, 2013
Central Texas
Pool Size
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
OK.

I am pretty frustrated with my equipment (pump-swg), and I am considering starting over. I want my automation to work more smoothly, and I'd like to gain some reliability.

What I have:

Control: iAqualink 2.0 with the V2 board.

Main Pump: A centry V-green pump. I have the V-Green automation 'kit' but didn't install it yet, It replaces the manual controls/programming. I am not sure how it will work with the iAqualink, and dread getting it to work.

SWG: Jandy Aquapure 1400, it appears to the an older one, with the exposed screen and buttons (The screen is failing, buttons are breaking trough plastic, etc.) No matter what I do, I seem to have to replace the salt cell every 3-4 years. Control box looks like this one: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Salt Water Chlorinator (Up to 40,000 Gallons) - APURE1400 (Discontinued)

My situation:

I am having my pool refinished. I need to replace my Salt Cell again (plc1400), and I am willing to splurge on a pump to fit better with the iAqualink. I also considered new LED lights, etc. Basically, I am in the mood to spend a few bucks, but I am not an idiot. I have contacted a couple of Jandy 'dealers,' and their prices have been pretty ridiculous. Like $5600.00 for 3 lights installed out-the-door... $3,320 for the 2.7 VS pump installed OTD (BTW, my pad plumbing is immaculate). I brought up the costs and they recommended I finance it... LOL

Solutions?:

1. Buy a Pentair pump, hope it works well enough with iAqualink (not sure which pump though), but ANOTHER Jandy salt cell (and hope it's control survives), and leave my lights as is (maybe buy standard white LEDs or the like). This would seem the logical option, but since I am already at my limit with pool contractors and pool equipment (Jandy) I am willing to through the baby out with the bath water!

2. Buy a Pentair system (pump , control, SWG).

3. Buy Hayward system (pump, control, SWG). One pool person was really pushing me hard on thier Omni system. I don't know much about it.

With either 2 or 3 I also get to have a cold beer and tell Jandy to take-a-hike, and in ten years I will probably be upset with either Pentair or Hayward! :)

What would you do?

#2 - Pentair is the present gold standard.

Intellicenter automation
Intelliflow pump
Intellichlor SWG - get one at least 2x your pool volume

Chances are you need to manage CSI better. With a SWG, CSI should be kept in the 0.0p to -0.30 range to minimize scaling of the SWG.

You've been here almost 9 years and the forum software has been updated a few times since you joined.
Update your profile - <-------- over there - https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/account-details
Fill out your signature including pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This allows expanded info to show at the bottom of all your posts. Use mine and others for inspiration.

Also, check out PoolMath if you haven't already done so. You can track CSI directly in the app.

Reactions: Newdude
iAqualink is the interface. The automation adapter for the V-Green 2.7 uses the low voltage inputs to a relay or actuator to adjust the speed of the motor. They work very well with any automation that will not directly communicate with the pump.
Nothing is as good as new except new. If your software is the right revision, your Aqualink RS will directly communicate with a Pentair Intelliflow IF you can get one. I was just on all three of my local supplier's websites (one with three branch locations locally) looking for one and they all are out and have no idea when they will get new. Personally, having worked on them, I avoid Jandy pumps at all costs.
Since you already have a working pump, get the adapter installed, since you have it already, and give it a go.

What kind of Vgreen motor do you have, the 165 version or the 270 version?

If you happen to have the Vgreen165 motor it can be enabled to talk directly to the Aqualink RS board via the RS-485 interface common to both the RS board and the Vgreen165 motor.

When enabled the Vgreen165 looks like a Jandy Epump to the Aqualink RS board.

Enabling the Jandy RS-485 communication protocol on the Vgreen165 involves changing one of the motor’s configuration variables and while everyone may not be comfortable doing this here’s a write up that describes how to do it.

Post in thread 'Century (Regal) VGreen motor automation'
Century (Regal) VGreen motor automation

–Mark

If anyone else has input/experience I am still all ears.

Leaning towards Pentair system (only because I need to replace the Jandy salt cell again). If the cell was still good I'd probably try the pump only.

Mark, I have the 270, but great thread on the 165. (y)

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful information and I will update when decisions are made.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.