kkbrininstool

Jun 1, 2023
San Antonio, Texas
Hi there! We are currently building our pool and they are setting the flagstone for our three spillways.

Can you tell me:
- What is the ideal overhang amount would be?
- Should the spillway be flat/level, angled towards the pool or angled towards the spa/hot tub?

Any other advice is welcome! I’ve seen pics of some waterfalls that look better than others, so want to make sure it’s done correctly. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7AF4EF14-E877-4F79-B8A6-207489670C71.jpeg
    7AF4EF14-E877-4F79-B8A6-207489670C71.jpeg
    760.2 KB · Views: 26
kk,

As Ahultin points out above, without the relief cut under the stone, surface tension will just make some of the water flow under the stone ledge and then it will just dribble down the stone wall. The cut is usually about a 1/4" from the front and about a 1/4" deep and 1/4" wide, all the way across the bottom of the stone.

Thanks,

Jim R.

kk,

As Ahultin points out above, without the relief cut under the stone, surface tension will just make some of the water flow under the stone ledge and then it will just dribble down the stone wall. The cut is usually about a 1/4" from the front and about a 1/4" deep and 1/4" wide, all the way across the bottom of the stone.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you! Do you happen to have a picture of this? I’m pretty sure I’m envisioning it correctly, but just a visual person and curious.

Also, is that still in addition to the side pieces/guards? Any input on if it needs to be flat or angled one way or the other?

kk,

Two different things..

Without the side pieces, water would never make it to the end of the overflow..

Here is a basic idea of the slot... Forget about the dimensions, just trying to show the slot on the bottom of the stone

Thanks,

Jim R.
That’s what I thought, but wanted to check. This is perfect…thanks! And even shows a bit of an angle. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.