seafoam green pool....stumped just about everyone!!!

So, now it's time to take a deep breath and wait for your test kit to arrive.. As IceShadow, and others have said, there's no need to drain the pool unless your CYA is sky high. The test kit will confirm this for you. Most everything else can be worked out after you start taking your own chemistry readings with your new test kit. For now, as others have said, add 5ppm liquid chlorine once a day and maybe keep your pump running to remove solids. These guys have been, and still are, a great help to me. My first pool went up when I was 59, five years later and I'm still learning, but going strong. The experience you gain with your Intex will be a nice primer for your new inground pool. Welcome to the site and enjoy yourself...
That’s awesome! I’m glad this forum has helped you. I can’t wait to see all the help I get from it. I’m glad I found it. Pools can definitely make a person impatient that’s for sure. I ordered the new kit and it arrives later this week.

Do you know your pool volume? I saw you said 16x48, but if you can figure out the volume, use pool math (the mobile app or the web app which is linked at the bottom of this page as “old pool math app”) to tell you what 5ppm is for your pool volume and liquid chlorine (or pure bleach, no additives) strength, e.g. 8% or 12.5%, check the ingredients label.

EDIT: Beat by Marty again, listen to him!

Do you know your pool volume? I saw you said 16x48, but if you can figure out the volume, use pool math (the mobile app or the web app which is linked at the bottom of this page as “old pool math app”) to tell you what 5ppm is for your pool volume and liquid chlorine (or pure bleach, no additives) strength, e.g. 8% or 12.5%, check the ingredients label.

EDIT: Beat by Marty again, listen to him!
Hey! So the pool is 5091 gallons for sure but using that old school pool math you suggested it says 6000.

Hey! So the pool is 5091 gallons for sure but using that old school pool math you suggested it says 6000.
At the bottom when calculating the amount of water in the pool, remember the 16x48 is the size of the pool. The calculation requires you to put in the depth of the water, not the height of the walls. :wave:

You can plug the 5091 number at the top of the pool math chart. Then fill in the bottom where it shows "suggested goal levels". That will get you started.

Reading the title of your thread " . . . stumped just about everyone"
Not on this forum. :mrgreen:
TFP knows how to get you through this and by the time we're finished, you will be educated and not be stumped either! :lovetfp:

Reading the title of your thread " . . . stumped just about everyone"
Not on this forum. :mrgreen:
TFP knows how to get you through this and by the time we're finished, you will be educated and not be stumped either! :lovetfp:
haha I am hopeful. I think my CYA is high (just based off pool store tests). I ordered the test kit suggested and it comes Thursday. Yesterday I bit the bullet and drained about 1/4 of the pool. Probably wasn't enough but it was a HUGE mess which caused my yard to flood because the drain to hose just wasn't working. The neighbor heard the ruckus and knocked on our door suggesting our pool was flooding his front yard for a week (impossible because yesterday was our only mishap with our pool). It has been raining every day non stop here in South Florida. It has been extremely miserable and not good for pool owners. I wont be able to drain my pool again based off yesterday's events and the flooding happening from the rain so I really don't know what will be next if the kit I ordered confirms a too high CYA to perform SLAM. The pool does look a little better today though just from doing the partial drain and refill.

Thank you! Do you suggest I used liquid chlorine or bleach? On the old school math how come I don't see liquid chlorine as an option to add?
At the bottom where it shows suggested goal levels: your options are bleach, SWG, Trichlor. Bleach=liquid chlorine. Same thing. just different strengths.
At the top where it says FC - add (blank boxes, type in the % concentration of bleach/liquid chlorine)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW. You are in Miami so the best (cheapest) place to get LC is from either Leslies or Pinch a penny. They will sell you a refillable jug that you can bring back and get filled. It is the freshest strongest stuff. Buy 2 X 2.5 gallon jugs. The stuff they sell is 10.5%

I used liquid chlorine 10.3% when I slammed my pool a few days ago, only took 3 days to actually get it back to being blue. I know there's still work to be done but its nice to see blue water again and not green/cloudy.

Reactions: shayy_1988
BTW. You are in Miami so the best (cheapest) place to get LC is from either Leslies or Pinch a penny. They will sell you a refillable jug that you can bring back and get filled. It is the freshest strongest stuff. Buy 2 X 2.5 gallon jugs. The stuff they sell is 10.5%
Yes that’s where we’ve been going for supplies but after hearing some information about pool stores I am definitely going to be going to the minimally from now on! Thanks for the info!!

ignore the numbers already there and plug in your numbers (at least the ones that you have)
Go to the bottom where it shows: Estimating Pool Volume plug in your pool number, then go to: Effects of Adding Chemicals and put in numbers to see how much would add 5 FC what @mknauss says, till your test kit comes in.

Reactions: shayy_1988
Yes that’s where we’ve been going for supplies but after hearing some information about pool stores I am definitely going to be going to the minimally from now on! Thanks for the info!!

Just go in to buy your chlorine, dont let them test your water. They are a retailer, and they have the best deal on chlorine, so thats what I use them for.

How much did you put in each day?? Thanks for the hope :)
My CYA was 50, so I kept my FC at 20 and over dosed a little since I wasn't around to test hourly, I did my testing it daily. So daily I probably put in about 45oz. At the start, I had to hit FC 20 so that took about 3L. I'm still losing FC overnight so I know there's still a bit of work to do, but I took a swim yesterday :)

My pool was on the brink of looking like yours. So yes, you will have a blue nice pool again, just takes a little effort. Good luck.

I think that you probably have algae and iron.

Does the fill water contain a lot of iron?

Once you get the water clear of algae, you can maybe treat the iron.

Can you show a picture of the cartridge before you clean it?

Drop a vitamin C tablet on the floor to see if it makes a clean spot.

Hey since you are probably not swimming in the goop, go ahead and take your ladder out. Might as well start cleaning that out now. Its also a great spot for algae to hide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.