Pump Motor Shopping

Jun 23, 2018
Weldon Spring, MO
I currently have what I believe is a PAC-FAB Challenger. The pump is a 34-3240 (barely readable tag). And, the motor is a Centurion 168454. This seems to be the direct replacement INYOPOOLS Motor . And, from what I can gather I need some kind of seal kit.

I have removed the motor previously a few years ago when the impeller shredded itself up. So, I feel pretty confident that I can remove/replace the motor. My biggest concern is removal of the impeller. The pool store did the actual impeller replacement. I can't remember if they did anything with a seal. They were going to try and rebuild it. But, that part proved to be impossible. Anyway, at the beginning of each season, I always have to break it free with channel locks. Surprisingly, it continues on each time giving me a whole season. It's not super noisy or anything. If I were to turn it off for a while, it would probably need some help restarting. I'm 100% certain it will need help starting next season. However, it needed LOTS of help this season. In any case, I think it might be wise to start looking at replacement options.

Currently, it just runs 24/7 burning up lots of power. This is helped somewhat by our cheap 5.65 cent/kWh utility rate. So, obviously, there is less incentive for me to pay up for efficiency. I have no timers/automation other than an Insteon light switch on the pool lights.

A few questions:

1. Is replacing just the motor the best option? Or, is there any reason I should consider replacing motor and pump? Replacing motor and pump is probably out of my scope for DIY. So, this would drive the cost up substantially.

2. It looks like there is a viable dual speed motor option for slightly more cost. To get that capability, it looks like it needs a switch. I'm not sure if that would be worthwhile or not. This wouldn't have any timers or anything. My concern is that the slower speed may or may not be useful. Also, if it's anything like split capacitor furnace motors, the efficiency at the slower speed probably isn't all that great anyway.

3. INYO also has a link to a Variable Speed Motor ECM27SQU. This looks like the best option as it includes timer programming on the unit itself. However, the problem is that it is a 48Y frame. But, it claims it can be used with a 56Y. From what I can gather, the 46Y is a smaller diameter motor. And, the support piece that holds up the motor is where the issue lies. This seems like it should be a simple problem of finding some kind of adapter part that could be placed on the 56Y support bracket to hold up a 46Y motor.

4. If I google around, I've found other vendors that DO seem to have a 56Y VS motor. If I go this route, I think I would be most interested in built-in timers. I also Z-wave and Insteon home automation. So, if there is a VS motor out that that supports that, I would really be interested in that option.

Thanks for any comments.

You have too good of a pump to just get rid of, so simple to replace seals. I hardly can read my tag as well.
I have a 1.5 hp Challenger and i replaced the motor with a three phase motor and added a VFD to it. Now i can control the speed control, i don't really run less than half speed , wide open when cleaning. Also you will more than likely get a rebate from you electrical provider for installing a VFD.

Hope this gives you another alternative.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.