Not making any headway

MSkipski

Jun 26, 2019
Odessa, TX
Ok. We just setup our 18x48 above ground pool we purchased at Wally world. I'm running the filter that came with it. We also purchased a salt water generator at Wally world. The only level I can get right is the salt lol. Using clorox test strips I've been checking my water and adding everything it's telling me to. (Ph up, shock, stabilizer (used sock method for cya), metal stain control...) i run the swg on boost for 4 hours then another 10 hours on the regular cycle. my reading are
Hardness- 500
Tc- 0
Fc- 0
Ph- 7.8
Alkalinity- 240
Stabilizer- 0 (I used a sock in front of the return with .5lb)
I'm at a complete loss on where I am screwing this up. Please help! Thank you!!

Welcome to the forum!
With that size pool we recommend a full size test kit. You need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™
You need to add a total of 30 oz of stabilizer to get to 30 ppm CYA. Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now. Once you have the salt in the pool, add more CYA to get to 60 ppm. So a total of 60 oz. Keep you FC above minimum using FC/CYA Levels

The strips will not do, so get a test kit ordered today.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
With that size pool we recommend a full size test kit. You need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™
You need to add a total of 30 oz of stabilizer to get to 30 ppm CYA. Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now. Once you have the salt in the pool, add more CYA to get to 60 ppm. So a total of 60 oz. Keep you FC above minimum using FC/CYA Levels

The strips will not do, so get a test kit ordered today.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Thank you for your prompt reply! I'm ordering a test kit now and will work on the things you said to read. I have already put the salt in the pool. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake! You said to add 30oz of stabilizer, do I need to purchase a scale?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.