newbie with questions about adding salt

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It rained yesterday and now my SWG is flashing "low minerals" but it is generating chlorine. Taylor salt test says my salt level is 3000 but the SWG is only displaying a level of 2600. It looks like I need to add a bag of salt to get the "low minerals" light to go off. How long do you have to run the pump and keep the SWG off after adding a bag of salt? I've read on here that you should turn the SWG off when adding salt, and run the pump for 24 hours after adding it, but this seems like overkill to me when only adding 1 bag. I don't have any liquid chlorine left so I really hate to keep the SWG off while the salt is dissolving since the SWG appears to be working, and I don't want to run the pump more than is necessary.

You can add a bag of salt without turning off the SWCG. Just pour it away from the suction from the pool and use a brush to really mix it in.

Be sure to use the Taylor salt test for a definitive salinity. The SWCG could have seen a dilute sample from the rain. So do not overshoot on your salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.