Adding Salt / SWG off time?

parkinsmith

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2021
Clifton Texas, Lake Whitney
When they did my new pool start up last fall and added the salt they told me to keep the SWG off for 24 hrs. I just needed to add a bag today , when adding just one bag does the same hold true? Do I keep the SWG off for 24 hrs? What is the best protocol for this when you just need to bump up the salt a bit?

Last edited:
I'd turn off the cell for a couple of hours or until the sensor is steady. For a couple of bags, mine has reported 6000 ppm a few minutes after adding. It backs down to expected values within an hour or two. I think unmixed salty water hugs the bottom because it's heavier and gets pulled into the main drains.

Very high salt stresses the electronics because it has extra low electrical resistance. There should be safety circuits to prevent problems, but why take the chance?

My SWG manual specifically says turn off the cell when adding. I looked at yours. No mention. So maybe yours doesn't care.

More on this topic here.

Last edited:
Reactions: parkinsmith
P,

As a side note... My main drain is only open about 5% as I like more skimming.. I see no reason to use the main drain at all except I want to have some fresh water flow through the pipe. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have a main drain at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'd turn off the cell for a couple of hours or until the sensor is steady. For a couple of bags, mine has reported 6000 ppm a few minutes after adding. It backs down to expected values within an hour or two. I think unmixed salty water hugs the bottom because it's heavier and gets pulled into the main drains.

Very high salt stresses the electronics because it has extra low electrical resistance. There should be safety circuits to prevent problems, but why take the chance?

My SWG manual specifically says turn off the cell when adding. I looked at yours. No mention. So maybe yours doesn't care.

More on this topic here.
Thank you so much for the info , I turned mine off when I added the salt seems wise to leave it off for 12- 24 hours. Looking to do what is best for the equipment and pool. Thanks again for the feedback!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.