Follow the guide for vit C. Clorine need to be as close to zero as it can. The folks here also can send the online store to buy it in bulk. I have a 18k pool and used 5 pds in 2 doses.
The Jacks Magic rep told me to add jacks fiber filer to my cartridge filter and after a month ot was brown. Been clear ever sense which is why i think it came from the stone.

Reactions: Tena
Tenab,
good deal on getting that test kit on order. It will be invaluable to you.
Have you done the vitamin C test to determine for sure need to do AA?

I have tested with vitamin C. I could write with it like chalk. Scrubbing does nothing. Soo... I'm ready to throw this AA in. The rain today held me off, I just swept the walls and bottom down to the drain. (See pic above for what today's rain washed in...)

Reactions: Divin Dave
It took a while for my chlorine to drop. (I read Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains )

I read that algaecide can drop chlorine (they act on each other) and I had hth algae guard 60 (not the same as Polyquat 60 so not recommended). I went ahead and dosed with that after careful research. (See
Polyquat algaecides: Mode of Action )

The stains were all over, but best visible on the walls in the deep end.

Attachments

• 20190630_161847.jpg
    20190630_161847.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190630_161828.jpg
    20190630_161828.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190629_194728.jpg
    20190629_194728.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 20
Set the filter to recirculate.
I used 2# of Ascorbic Acid. Sprinkled as close to edge as I could get and concentrated on the deep.
Within minutes the stains were disappearing as promised.

Attachments

• 20190704_143657.jpg
    20190704_143657.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190704_143710.jpg
    20190704_143710.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 16
I left it on recirculate overnight. By morning, the stains are almost non existent.

I Put a skimmer sock stuffed with polyfil in the skimmer basket(tied shut) and a culator 4.0 in the pump basket, then switched back to filter.
Also added 2qts Jack's Magic blue (new plaster)

I still need to vacuum and maybe backwash. But the pressure hasn't really risen on the filter.

I've added a gallon of bleach in 3 doses. Checking before adds. I think it's not potent as the date is March and it was outside in the garden center. ? (I didn't buy it lol, I sent hubs and wasn't specific enough. See I have pneumonia of all things. I also have a crystal clear pool I can't get in. ? )

However it has brought Chlorine up to 2 and that's as far as I'm going tonight. (Ph is at 7.2)

Attachments

• 20190703_165132.jpg
    20190703_165132.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190703_165143.jpg
    20190703_165143.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190704_143618.jpg
    20190704_143618.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Well for whatever it's worth, I think you've done a spectacular job.
Get well soon and enjoy your sparkly new and stain free pool.

Thank you Dave. Did I mention I'm ordering a water filter for the hose. We don't have auto fill, and I don't want more green city water going in. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think its from the stone, my filter pulled a lot of rust stuff out after a few weeks but after a month still clear and i have added a lot of new water.
I also have a big whole house filters,one is sediment and 2nd is taste and odor and they help for sure

May be dumb question, but you are brushing your entire pool surface twice a day, right? I had issues similar to yours in my pool and I used Metal Magic. That took care of sequestering the metals in the water. In speaking with the Metal Magic reps on the phone, they said to double the normal dose ( for me it ended up being four containers) and I continued brushing and it took care of all the stains. I must say that the Metal Magic folks were as helpful as you could ever want, and followed up with progress report phone calls.

Reactions: Tena
Im shocked at your city water. Its supposed to be clean clean clean, at least of pathogens and plant life. There are federal / state standards for municipal water supplies.

We aren't really surprised. We get sand (and other ick) out of the water heater regularly. We have complained a few times to the city. The last water report was 2017. The treatment plant is right by the chemical plant. Idk ? And consider the source(s). Lake O Pines was reporting "oil on the water" this week too. I talked to Amanda B (pool store), she said it's always this way in the city. Are you not city?

I think its from the stone, my filter pulled a lot of rust stuff out after a few weeks but after a month still clear and i have added a lot of new water.
I also have a big whole house filters,one is sediment and 2nd is taste and odor and they help for sure

Our first problem was the city fill water. It was green. (Attaching pic) I still agree with you about the stone contributing more recent deposits.

May be dumb question, but you are brushing your entire pool surface twice a day, right? I had issues similar to yours in my pool and I used Metal Magic. That took care of sequestering the metals in the water. In speaking with the Metal Magic reps on the phone, they said to double the normal dose ( for me it ended up being four containers) and I continued brushing and it took care of all the stains. I must say that the Metal Magic folks were as helpful as you could ever want, and followed up with progress report phone calls.

Yes! Brushing here. We now have 4 different pool brushes. Lol That whale would have been nice from day 1. PB suggested Metal Magic but the stain was already on the walls. He shocked it right off the bat which according to all the reading here caused the staining (high pH, high chlorine). So, I preferred to trust the advice here over his. (Jacks Magic Blue for new plaster)

I did buy Metal Magic and will call them. It seems they conflict with other products, so I was being safe and using the recommendations from here (which have worked). I can use the Metal Magic later to keep it in suspension...for eternity apparently. ?

My lesson learned:
It would have been best to filter it before it went in the pool. Since PB lives in city, I would think with his vast experience he knew the water issues. The pool store people do. ?

Que sera sera

These are what it looked like going in. Scary

Attachments

• 20190615_140328.jpg
    20190615_140328.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190616_143330.jpg
    20190616_143330.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: markayash
Yes, Im on Longview water. I know several folks on Longview water with pools and none of us have any problem with it.

Interesting... I'll check with the neighbor and see if they had fill issues. I know it tastes awful, so drinking etc is out of the question. I'm going to guess you are N/NW. We are on the end of the pipe, far east.

The stains are reappearing. I have the CuLator 4.0 in the filter basket. I used 2 pounds of ascorbic acid the first round and 2 qts Jack's blue magic (as sequestrant).

Chlorine has been liquid and kept mid to low. Ph has been jumping high so muriatic acid goes in often.
Water additions have been through a charcoal filter (used for motor homes).

Currently Cl is 2 Ph is 7.2
Full test Friday:
FC 2
Ph 8.2
TA 100
CH 375
CYA 60 (first time testing so could be less)

My plan:
Add 4 pds ascorbic acid when chlorine hits 0
Add 2 qts metal magic
Continue battling ph.

Any recommendations? If I have this much trouble with ph before salt conversion, I dread afterwards.

Thank you!

TA of 100 is causing the pH rise. Get the TA down to 60-70.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.