New Hayward pump just died :(

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Hayward Powerflo Matrix 2spd pump - just purchased in May 2019. The plug on the power cord looks fried. What could have happened and how can I fix it?
The GFCI outlet it was plugged into is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_6807.JPG
    IMG_6807.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6808.JPG
    IMG_6808.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 15
Did the cord come with the pump? Check to make sure the cord is rated for the amps that the pump is pulling. May need to get a thicker gauge cord. I have seen the plugs get hot on my portable pumps before.

Did the cord come with the pump? Check to make sure the cord is rated for the amps that the pump is pulling. May need to get a thicker gauge cord. I have seen the plugs get hot on my portable pumps before.
Yes, the cord came with the pump. Hoping it will be covered under warranty. However, that doesn't help us much right now... It's 97º here and the pool has been unfiltered for 3 days now and getting yucky.

How old is the receptacle it was plugged into?

Looks like a bad connection with the receptacle to me. The added resistance caused the prong to get hot. Both the receptacle and that cord need to be replaced.

Based on what I see here I wouldn't expect anything to be wrong with the pump.

I think you'll have a hard time convincing Hayward that was a manufacturing defect. Looks like a short of some description. Just replace the power cord (should be pretty inexpensive) and that will get you up and running much quicker than waiting on a warranty claim

Just got an email response from Hayward. They are sending a replacement pump. I'm impressed. Unfortunately it is being sent UPS ground and who knows how long that will take. We are leaving on a week-long trip next Wednesday, so the pool may be without filtering/chlorine production for at least another 14 days. Ugh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.