Fidesviva

May 26, 2019
Purcellville, va
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - I have an aboveground pool that may soon need a new pump, as current one is getting old and kinda loud. I'm trying to get ahead of understanding what I'll need to do in case it fails mid-season (or doesn't work when I start opening up next month 🙄)

So, I have a hayward powerflo matrix 1 hp pump Hayward PowerFlo MATRIX Pool Pump, 115V, 1 HP, that is still easily available, so I would just want the exact same pump so all my plumbing would switch with no changes needed. BUT... I only see these pumps sold with a standard 3-prong plug. However our setup has a 4 prong twistlock outlet that was required by the electrical inspector when we were setting things up 10-15 years ago. I know that the current pump somehow had a 4 prong twist plug put on it.

The current plug was done by my husband, but now I have become the keeper of the pool and this stuff I don't know about sometimes feels scary. Anyway, if I find myself having to wire a plug onto a new pump, how would that work? Some info I glanced at for the L1420P type plug on our current pump shows 4 wires. But does a 3 prong plug have 4 wires or just 3? And if just 3, then what goes where in a plug that takes 4 wires? I'm just looking for a little guidance to get comfortable with what's needed. (I can do stuff like this- I just had the multiparty valve for the filter apart today for some maintenance, last year I had to replace the gfci on the pump outlet, and year before that I learned how to do pvc pipe to upgrade frome the flex hoses that kept springing leaks)

Thanks for any guidance on what to expect.
Linda

Normal 120V 3 prong plug is hot wire, neutral wire, and ground wire.

4 prong plug can work with 120V or 240V so there are prongs for two hot wires, one neutral wire, and ground wire.

You wire to the prongs your pump is using.

You know enough about electrical wiring to identify a hot wire, neutral, and ground wire?

Hi - I have an aboveground pool that may soon need a new pump, as current one is getting old and kinda loud. I'm trying to get ahead of understanding what I'll need to do in case it fails mid-season (or doesn't work when I start opening up next month 🙄)

So, I have a hayward powerflo matrix 1 hp pump Hayward PowerFlo MATRIX Pool Pump, 115V, 1 HP, that is still easily available, so I would just want the exact same pump so all my plumbing would switch with no changes needed. BUT... I only see these pumps sold with a standard 3-prong plug. However our setup has a 4 prong twistlock outlet that was required by the electrical inspector when we were setting things up 10-15 years ago. I know that the current pump somehow had a 4 prong twist plug put on it.

The current plug was done by my husband, but now I have become the keeper of the pool and this stuff I don't know about sometimes feels scary. Anyway, if I find myself having to wire a plug onto a new pump, how would that work? Some info I glanced at for the L1420P type plug on our current pump shows 4 wires. But does a 3 prong plug have 4 wires or just 3? And if just 3, then what goes where in a plug that takes 4 wires? I'm just looking for a little guidance to get comfortable with what's needed. (I can do stuff like this- I just had the multiparty valve for the filter apart today for some maintenance, last year I had to replace the gfci on the pump outlet, and year before that I learned how to do pvc pipe to upgrade frome the flex hoses that kept springing leaks)

Thanks for any guidance on what to expect.
Linda
If you are not familiar with working with electricity and electrical components, hire someone who is. You seldom get more than one chance to do it right.

Normal 120V 3 prong plug is hot wire, neutral wire, and ground wire.

4 prong plug can work with 120V or 240V so there are prongs for two hot wires, one neutral wire, and ground wire.

You wire to the prongs your pump is using.

You know enough about electrical wiring to identify a hot wire, neutral, and ground wire?
Thanks
I have a passing acquaintance with wiring - white, black and green or bare I've seen in wires in electrical outlet wiring. Are the wires in pump cord likely to be similarly colored? And the pump says it's 115 volts.
I suppose I could take apart the plug on my current pump and see how that was done... I just hate taking it apart before I know it's dead, and then have a struggle getting things back together.

If you are not familiar with working with electricity and electrical components, hire someone who is. You seldom get more than one chance to do it right.
Would an electrician of some sort be who to contact if needed? Or a pool service company? Handyman? We've mostly figured out how to do things ourselves so I'm not always sure where to turn for this sort of thing.
Thanks.

Thanks
I have a passing acquaintance with wiring - white, black and green or bare I've seen in wires in electrical outlet wiring. Are the wires in pump cord likely to be similarly colored? And the pump says it's 115 volts.
I suppose I could take apart the plug on my current pump and see how that was done... I just hate taking it apart before I know it's dead, and then have a struggle getting things back together.
Black, white, green (or yellow with green stripe), yes.

The safest thing with electricity is never assume. While there are standard colors I have seen wiring that did not follow it. You look at where the wire connects at the pump to see what color connects to what terminal.

Reactions: Fidesviva