My Pentair Screenlogic App Won't Control The Spa Temperature Anymore

karimary

Aug 5, 2021
Bakersfield, CA
Hello, I found this forum from googling about my problem, and not quite finding the answer I was looking for. I'll try to do this properly, so as not to frustrate those who want to help! I have a Pentair pool/spa that was installed somewhere around 2015/2016. We bought the house in 2018, and I had my weekly pool guy show me how to use it. The app lets me turn on the lights, water features, and spa. However, over the last month or so, when we turn on the spa, no matter what temperature we set it on the app, it stays cooler than that. Certainly not over 95 degrees, and probably less. When I went to check the heater, it said 85, which was strange, because usually it shows the temp I set, but again I don't know the equipment all that well. Then I set up a service request with my home protection plan, and the tech who came out tried setting the temp to 100 on the actual unit, it heated up, and he said there was no problem. So now I'm wondering if a setting got tripped somehow on the actual heater or the outside control console that is overriding my app commands. Does anyone know anything about this issue? I use the Pentair ScreenLogic app.

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a Pentair EasyTouch system controlling your pool/spa?

Your MasterTemp heater temperature setting should always be set to 104 degrees. When the heater is running it will show you the water temperature, not the temperature you set on your app.

The EasyTouch has it's own water temperature sensor separate from the heater. The EasyTouch system acts as the heater thermostat and turns the heater on and off as necessary to reach and maintain the temperature you set in the app.

Mary,

I doubt anything is wrong other than you just don't have the heater set up correctly..

The EasyTouch does not really "talk" with the heater.. It only tells the heater to produce heat, or not to produce heat, by closing or opening a small relay on the main EasyTouch board.

You need to have the heater on and set to full hot.. The EasyTouch compares its water temp probe with the temperature you have set in the ScreenLogic.. When below the set point, it will close the small relay... this closes the fireman's loop and allows 24 VAC from the heater to go back to the heater and turn it on...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a Pentair EasyTouch system controlling your pool/spa?

Your MasterTemp heater temperature setting should always be set to 104 degrees. When the heater is running it will show you the water temperature, not the temperature you set on your app.

The EasyTouch has it's own water temperature sensor separate from the heater. The EasyTouch system acts as the heater thermostat and turns the heater on and off as necessary to reach and maintain the temperature you set in the app.

Yes, I do have an EasyTouch. I can guarantee that I've never changed that setting. The only one who could have would be my pool guy, and the latest work he did was to clean the filter and "lube gasket" whatever that means. I guess I'll try to figure out how to change the temp. Your articles are very helpful. I'm hoping I can change the max temperature using the EasyTouch console rather than take off the front and play around with the heater board. Yikes.

I'm hoping I can change the max temperature using the EasyTouch console rather than take off the front and play around with the heater board. Yikes.

You use the keypad on the front of the heater. Turn on the heat on the EasyTouch so the heater turn on and the front panel lights up.

Press SPA ON.

Then use the TEMP UP red arrow to raise the temperature to 104.

Ignore the 319 in the picture below. Normally it displays the water temperature or the set temperature when you are adjusting it.

450px-Pentair_MasterTemp_Stack_Flue_Temp.jpg

Mary,

I doubt anything is wrong other than you just don't have the heater set up correctly..

The EasyTouch does not really "talk" with the heater.. It only tells the heater to produce heat, or not to produce heat, by closing or opening a small relay on the main EasyTouch board.

You need to have the heater on and set to full hot.. The EasyTouch compares its water temp probe with the temperature you have set in the ScreenLogic.. When below the set point, it will close the small relay... this closes the fireman's loop and allows 24 VAC from the heater to go back to the heater and turn it on...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Okay, that makes total sense. I just need to figure out how to put the max temperature back where it was. I was never given the manual. I wish the pool service I paid $75 to come out and look at it knew enough to switch that back for me. :D
You use the keypad on the front of the heater. Turn on the heat on the EasyTouch so the heater turn on and the front panel lights up.

Press SPA ON.

Then use the TEMP UP red arrow to raise the temperature to 104.

Ignore the 319 in the picture below. Normally it displays the water temperature or the set temperature when you are adjusting it.

450px-Pentair_MasterTemp_Stack_Flue_Temp.jpg
Oooohhhh! In that case, I know what happened. My son doesn't have the app. I showed him a couple months ago how to turn the spa on manually, and in doing so, he adjusted the temperature on the heater to a mild 85 degrees. If I'd understood how the EasyTouch works with the heater, I am sure that memory would have triggered before now. So I just turn it up to my max heat, and then when the heater hits the temp I set in the ScreenLogic app, it shuts off. Genius. Thank you. I now know more than my pool repair guy.

. I was never given the manual.

MasterTemp heater Manual - https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...stertemp/Manual-MasterTemp-472592-English.pdf

EasyTouch Quick Reference Guide - https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...h/EasyTouch_Quick_Reference_Guide_English.pdf

You will find other EasyTocuh manuals under the Manual tab on this page - EasyTouch® Control Systems

Oooohhhh! In that case, I know what happened. My son doesn't have the app. I showed him a couple months ago how to turn the spa on manually, and in doing so, he adjusted the temperature on the heater to a mild 85 degrees. If I'd understood how the EasyTouch works with the heater, I am sure that memory would have triggered before now. So I just turn it up to my max heat, and then when the heater hits the temp I set in the ScreenLogic app, it shuts off. Genius. Thank you. I now know more than my pool repair guy.

Glad you figured it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.