Getting ready for SWG

SWG Journal

:testkit:
About 8:30 PM and I tested:
FC: 7.0
pH: 7.7
Temp: 77

Maintained FC today, first time ever! FC is a little high. Not sure if that means I should leave it alone, as FC is being replaced perfectly, or if I should turn the SWG down a bit to get the FC to target (5). I think I remember that exceeding the FC/CYA ratio will just burn off excess chlorine. I'm going to turn it down a bit to find the threshold. So for tomorrow:

RPM: 1500
GPM: 21
SWG Hours: 8
Output: 50%

I'll continue to check the FC each day for a while, in the evening (after the sun is off the pool).

I know the output setting gets adjusted with the seasons. But what's not clear yet is if you eventually get one output number that works for a month or two straight, or if its a weekly battle based on sun, air temp and bather load, or if it yo-yos around from day to day but remains in a relatively appropriate range over time for good overall sanitation. Someone will either tell me, or I'll figure it out!

I just stumbled on a pic while cruising through another thread. Here's a slice of it:

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 8.05.55 AM.jpg

What caught my eye was this guy's "Chlorine Only" labels on two of his test vials. I happened to have an extra SpeedStir vial (came with my K-1766). Is there any benefit to dedicating a vial to the chlorine test? I rinse all my stuff (vial, pill, cap) before each test in the pool sample water. And then again when I'm done with tap water.

Hmm, so, easy enough. I'll just use the same one for chlorine each time, and use the other one for the other tests. Overkill, again, probably, but not really any extra work...

Distilled? Really? Why are you torturing me, man!?! You know that could set me off!! ;)

It makes sense, of course, but I gotta think, that with these kits' margin of error, I can safely skip that step...

SWG Journal

:testkit:
About 6:30 PM and I tested:
FC: 7.0
pH: 7.8
Temp: 75

Maintained FC today, again! FC is still a little high. I'll leave everything as is for now. So for tomorrow, no change in settings:

RPM: 1500
GPM: 21
SWG Hours: 8
Output: 50%

I'll continue to check the FC each day for a while, in the evening (after the sun is off the pool).

pH went up from 7.7 to 7.8 since yesterday. Too soon to tell if my pH rise is any more than it was before the SWG (from new plaster). If it is, it's not significantly more, which I'm going to interpolate to mean that once the plaster is done messing with my pH, that I'll be able to cut back a bit on dosing. (But that might just be wishful thinking, as 7.7 to 7.8 is a big chunk at this end of the pH spectrum.)

I'm probably a bit overkill too, but I triple-rinse before and after. I use pool water for rinsing because that's what I'm testing anyway. The DPD powder makes lasting stains, so it's worth getting rid of, IMO. The worst stain I saw was on someone's linoleum, and I don't think they ever got it fixed. There's black specs around where I do my testing outside, but so far nothing inside the test vials.

I like the salt vial for chlorine as well. It's also handy because of the 5 ml line, which can be used for testing at 1 drop = 1 ppm FC (e.g. during a SLAM).

And likewise, I'm enjoying your thread as well. Good fun! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm probably a bit overkill too, but I triple-rinse before and after. I use pool water for rinsing because that's what I'm testing anyway. The DPD powder makes lasting stains, so it's worth getting rid of, IMO. The worst stain I saw was on someone's linoleum, and I don't think they ever got it fixed. There's black specs around where I do my testing outside, but so far nothing inside the test vials.

I like the salt vial for chlorine as well. It's also handy because of the 5 ml line, which can be used for testing at 1 drop = 1 ppm FC (e.g. during a SLAM).

And likewise, I'm enjoying your thread as well. Good fun! :)

"triple-rinse before and after"? As in, rinse with pool water three times before, and then three times after? I put some pool water in the vial, with the pill, and use a cap, then shake a bit and dump. Then test. I pour out the result and then rinse the vial and pill together under the running tap water. Repeat for each test. (Though now I'll use the "FC" vial for FC testing exclusively.) So far, I've only had to take the p-trap apart twice to retrieve the pill!! :roll:

DPD stains... I test over a brown/black granite counter (my laundry room counter). If it's even possible to stain granite, I wouldn't see it. My bigger concern is the disposal. I've been dumping all my test water into my laundry room sink. I stopped splashing it in, as some of the tests seem to color the sink a bit (what is likely fiberglass or resin?). So I aim for the drain. I never throw it in the pool, and even before I knew better I didn't like watching the pool guy do it. Never made good sense to me. Anywho, any chance of any long-term effects of these chemicals going into the p-trap, or the sewer line, or the city's sewer system? I really have no other good place to dump this stuff. And of course it would really impact the daily testing chore if I was to run though the garage to some spot in the yard (which I don't really have) to dump after each test. I'm assuming you shouldn't throw it all together in one container and then dump just once. A dilemma...

"5 mil: 1 drop = 1 ppm FC"! Ha, good tip. I haven't had to slam yet, and hope to never have to. But as my FC has increased a bit, and my testing is ramped up just now, dialing in the SWG, it occurred to me as I was drop-drop-dropping, that for others, with even more CYA, or for those in a prolonged SLAM, they could really tear though reagent. Good to know this tip if I ever have a need for it.

Sidebar: while cruising some other thread, I read about someone who had just uncovered their pool after having winterized, to find their FC exactly where they left it. I would never have guessed this possible, especially after having used all the chlorine I did this last winter waiting for my water to warm up enough for my SWG! Crazy. I guess winterizing is not something us Californians can take advantage of...

Stay tuned for tomorrow's update, including the first episode of "The CH Saga!"

Winterizing is much more expensive than maintaining a little FC.

You will find a rhythm with your SWCG output settings. I do go for stretches without needing to change it. I also will bump up FC with liquid before a big party (and maybe after too depending on the "activity" in the pool), then I can keep my SWCG unchanged and put less miles on it to boot. Mine is more wacko because of our autocover, when I'm using it in the shoulder seasons. FC use dramatically changes when it's open versus closed, but that isn't a concern for you.

Winterizing is much more expensive than maintaining a little FC.

You will find a rhythm with your SWCG output settings. I do go for stretches without needing to change it. I also will bump up FC with liquid before a big party (and maybe after too depending on the "activity" in the pool), then I can keep my SWCG unchanged and put less miles on it to boot. Mine is more wacko because of our autocover, when I'm using it in the shoulder seasons. FC use dramatically changes when it's open versus closed, but that isn't a concern for you.

Oh, I hadn't considered the cost of winterizing, right. The dosing is also worth being able to enjoy my pool (if only visually) all through the winter. The other reason I don't use a cover, beyond just being lazy.

How often do you test for FC now that you have your SWG figured out? I need both numbers please, the number you claim, here on TFP, and the real number! ;)

I like the idea of the liquid bump, that makes good sense, and would be much easier and faster-acting than messing with the SWG. I've read here that that's the better way to go over using the SWGs "boost" mode.

Oh, I hadn't considered the cost of winterizing, right. The dosing is also worth being able to enjoy my pool (if only visually) all through the winter. The other reason I don't use a cover, beyond just being lazy.

How often do you test for FC now that you have your SWG figured out? I need both numbers please, the number you claim, here on TFP, and the real number! ;)

I like the idea of the liquid bump, that makes good sense, and would be much easier and faster-acting than messing with the SWG. I've read here that that's the better way to go over using the SWGs "boost" mode.

I test every day at noon sharp. :cool:

Well actually I'm not too bad about it. I test FC every three or four days (occasionally longer) unless I'm making changes or have something going on. But that's after having gained much experience with my pool. Of course if I go on vacation it may be 10+ days. But I always err a bit high on the setting when doing so.

SO i added clorox stabilizer (BEFORE i read here not to :) )....It took FOREVER and a day to dissolve. I did a small sample then wised up. Now I just dissolve it in a bucket then spread throughout the pool with pump running full blast. That sound ok?

I wouldn't do it that way. I used liquid CYA in a bucket like that, and got it into the pool OK. But then went to get that last bit out of the bottle, by adding water and swishing it around, and then poured that into the pool. What I thought was a little bit, was a big chunk of residue, probably similar to the dry stuff, and it settled on the bottom and before I could brush it off, like less than a minute, it burned my brand new pebble. The stain is still there. I'd be concerned, doing it your way, that some amount would settle in the bucket and then just dump out, or that what I thought was dissolved in the bucket wasn't, and that it would settle on the floor. Admittedly, I'm paranoid about the stuff now, so am being extra cautious. But I was cavalier before, and thought I could come up with a good enough way, all on my own, and now I'm sorry. What's your rush?

So that taught be a few things.

Follow TFP instructions! To the letter, if you can. These guys have been-there-done-that, and are very careful about delivering to the members here the very best way to do something. They might sound casual or brief the way they describe a process, probably because they have to do write it out over and over and over, but there's a reason they do things the way they do, and I've found it's best for us newbies to just defer to their wisdom. They're generous with their instructions, but they don't always expound on how those instructions were developed, or the mistakes that were made along the way.

Adding CYA is not like adding chlorine, or calcium. It's pretty strong stuff and has the potential to damage/stain a pool finish, very easily, and very quickly, and there's no fix.

Even if you could add it faster and easier, it takes a day or two for it to register on a CYA test, so you're not saving yourself much time by rushing it in.

Now, that all said, I don't like the "hang it in front of the return" process, because of the potential for the pump to stop or the sock to leak and having the CYA pile up on the floor before you notice (Paranoid! But, my pump did stop while I was adding, so that's a real-world possibility). So I use one of their alternate "mostly sanctioned" methods, by putting the sock in the skimmer. It gets good flow there, and should something go wrong, it will most likely go wrong in the skimmer, and not on the pool's finish. The down side is that the CYA can then gather in the filter and be subject to backwashing (which isn't an issue for me and my cartridge filter) and/or taking a little longer to works its way into the pool water. But for me, that's worth the extra time to be extra careful. I use a "delicates" laundry bag instead of a sock, which sped things up a bit (my socks were too thick, and I don't wear panty hose!).

Yep, if you test by a sink, just dump dregs and rinse them down. I test outdoors and dump in the garden. The dregs should not be dumped in the pool. If I'm testing by the pool, I have a measuring cup handy and dump all the dregs in that, and haven't had any issues.

For me, triple-rinsing is an old habit from a variety of testing and mixing of chemicals and cleaning out containers. I collect around a quart of pool water so I have lots for rinsing and testing. I also have a small plastic pipette (an eye dropper would do) that I use for setting the sample size. I pour out enough so I'm close, then bend over to look at the line and top up or suck a wee bit out. I triple-rinse the pipette as well, haha, but only once for all the tests :)

I dissolved it totally in a bucket with a controlled amount first. I am searching for the preferred way but only find the sock method. Is that the preferred way?

I wouldn't do it that way. I used liquid CYA in a bucket like that, and got it into the pool OK. But then went to get that last bit out of the bottle, by adding water and swishing it around, and then poured that into the pool. What I thought was a little bit, was a big chunk of residue, probably similar to the dry stuff, and it settle on the bottom and before I could brush it off, like less than a minute, it burned my brand new pebble. The stain is still there. I'd be concerned, doing it your way, that some amount would settle in the bucket and then just dump out, or that what I thought was dissolved in the bucket wasn't, and that it would settle on the floor. Admittedly, I'm paranoid about the stuff now, so am being extra cautious. But I was cavalier before, and thought I could come up with a good enough way, all on my own, and now I'm sorry. What's your rush?

So that taught be a few things.

Follow TFP instructions! To the letter, if you can. These guys have been-there-done-that, and are very careful about delivering to the members here the very best way to do something. They might sound casual or brief the way they describe a process, probably because they have to do write it out over and over and over, but there's a reason they do things the way they do, and I've found it's best for us newbies to just defer to their wisdom. They're generous with their instructions, but they don't always expound on how those instructions were developed, or the mistakes that were made along the way.

Adding CYA is not like adding chlorine, or calcium. It's pretty strong stuff and has the potential to damage/stain a pool finish, very easily, and very quickly, and there's no fix.

Even if you could add it faster and easier, it takes a day or two for it to register on a CYA test, so you're not saving yourself much time by rushing it in.

Now, that all said, I don't like the "hang it in front of the return" process, because of the potential for the pump to stop or the sock to leak and having the CYA pile up on the floor before you notice (Paranoid! But, my pump did stop while I was adding, so that's a real-world possibility). So I use one of their alternate "mostly sanctioned" methods, by putting the sock in the skimmer. It gets good flow there, and should something go wrong, it will most likely go wrong in the skimmer, and not on the pool's finish. The down side is that the CYA can then gather in the filter and be subject to backwashing (which isn't an issue for me and my cartridge filter) and/or taking a little longer to works its way into the pool water. But for me, that's worth the extra time to be extra careful. I use a "delicates" laundry bag instead of a sock, which sped things up a bit (my socks were too thick, and I don't wear panty hose!).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.