Jul 19, 2020
Tallmadge, OH
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I've been pouring through this website the last few months and learned so much from everyone's experiences as well as advice of the helpful regulars here; thank you for offering this valuable resource. My wife and I are negotiating with a builder now and I thought it was time to start putting our story together and make sure we head down the best path. We have three kids, 20, 18, and 17, and they grew up with a pool at their grandparents houses, so we want to be able to offer that experience to our grandkids.

The plan is very basic, 18x36 inground vinyl, 8' deep end, corner stairs, no other features or spa. The builder we're talking to uses polymer walls, Jandy equipment and Latham liners. We've had a couple back and forth's on his proposal and more or less settled on the general scope. He's scheduled to get me the final budget, detailed equipment list, and schedule/contract early this week. Here's what I've asked him to include:
  • 18' x 36' Rectangle Composite Pool w/2' Radius Corners, Corner Fiberglass Steps, Beaded Liner, Vermiculite Base, 8' Deep-end, Stainless Steel Ladder in Deep-End, Stainless Steel Handrail, Two Skimmers home runs, 6 Returns 2/line, Plumbing to Filter Pad flex PVC with space for future heater
  • High Grade Jandy Equipment: Variable-Speed Pump VSFloPro, Glass Media Filter SFTM, Salt Sanitation System
  • 3' Concrete Deck Perimeter
  • Include conduits/fixtures for (4) future nicheless lights
  • Option for Jandy JXI gas heater
At our first meeting he gave us brochures for the Jandy equipment but didn't identify which models would be included. I'm hoping to get some guidance from TFP on what Jandy equipment would be preferable for our setup and what we should avoid. I don't want to get into other manufacturers at this point.

Automation would be nice but is not a priority, especially given our very basic setup. Lights are something we'll add down the line and he will pipe everything in now to make it easy.

Here is my sketch we've used for planning to give you an idea of our vision
1613340415839.png

Let me know if I can provide any other helpful details. I plan to share our experiences in an effort to give back to this community. Thanks in advance for any input from the good folks of TFP!

Hey DM !! Sorry you've gone unanswered. There is a foreign weather apocalypse going on for 1/3 of the country and folks are a bit tied up. Plus, late in the weekend it gets slow. I'm sure once everybody gets back to work/retirement tomorrow there will be plenty of people to help.

At quick glance
1) I would ditch the glass media for sand or DE. (Actually id get a honkin cartridge but thats another story) Anywho the best thing anyone can ever say about glass is that it works as good as sand. And it doesn't always work as good while being way more expensive.

2) ditch the flex pvc for rigid pvc. Its super easy for the PB but might collapse or get eaten by bugs later. Of course the PB will be 5+ years gone by then and you'll be on your own.

3) alot of folks don't like inside stairs because they are a trip or noggin bumping Hazzard. Plus they take up valuable pool real estate. Mine were on the outside of the rectangle and we loved them.

4) there are millions of happy Jandy customers out there. You will be one of many many people (and I'm a biased Pentair guy and STILL say that)

5) woohoo salt. SWGs are the best things since Betty White.

6) Welcome to the best forum on the internet. We have nothing to sell you but goodwill.

Reactions: Pat60
Hey DM !! Sorry you've gone unanswered. There is a foreign weather apocalypse going on for 1/3 of the country and folks are a bit tied up. Plus, late in the weekend it gets slow. I'm sure once everybody gets back to work/retirement tomorrow there will be plenty of people to help.

At quick glance
1) I would ditch the glass media for sand or DE. (Actually id get a honkin cartridge but thats another story) Anywho the best thing anyone can ever say about glass is that it works as good as sand. And it doesn't always work as good while being way more expensive.

2) ditch the flex pvc for rigid pvc. Its super easy for the PB but might collapse or get eaten by bugs later. Of course the PB will be 5+ years gone by then and you'll be on your own.

3) alot of folks don't like inside stairs because they are a trip or noggin bumping Hazzard. Plus they take up valuable pool real estate. Mine were on the outside of the rectangle and we loved them.

4) there are millions of happy Jandy customers out there. You will be one of many many people (and I'm a biased Pentair guy and STILL say that)

5) woohoo salt. SWGs are the best things since Betty White.

6) Welcome to the best forum on the internet. We have nothing to sell you but goodwill.

Certainly understandable and hope everyone pulls through safely!

1) I would ditch the glass media for sand or DE. (Actually id get a honkin cartridge but thats another story) Anywho the best thing anyone can ever say about glass is that it works as good as sand. And it doesn't always work as good while being way more expensive. - The builder offers glass as his standard and it didn’t appear to be detrimental in any way. If there is a downside I’d like to learn more before we move forward.

2) ditch the flex pvc for rigid pvc. Its super easy for the PB but might collapse or get eaten by bugs later. Of course the PB will be 5+ years gone by then and you'll be on your own. - I’ll ask what the up charge for rigid would be. I’ve asked a few plumbers and nobody’s felt the flex would be much issue.

3) alot of folks don't like inside stairs because they are a trip or noggin bumping Hazzard. Plus they take up valuable pool real estate. Mine were on the outside of the rectangle and we loved them. - We’re pretty satisfied with the step selection.

4) there are millions of happy Jandy customers out there. You will be one of many many people (and I'm a biased Pentair guy and STILL say that). - Yep, I don’t have a particular brand loyalty. Just want the main equipment to match.

5) woohoo salt. SWGs are the best things since Betty White. - This was a must have for us.

6) Welcomes to the best forum on the internet. We have nothing to sell you but goodwill. - Agreed and very happy to be participating!!!
*edited response color for clarity

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
<---------- AGREES WITH NEWDUDE ON EVERY POINT!! :cool:
This was 3:35 AM so you musta been delirious. :ROFLMAO:
That’s how the infomercials get you. That stuff becomes fascinating at 3AM. Wait, HOLD up !!! It slices *and* dices ????? How can I live without it........ I need it TODAY !!!!!!

Is Jandy one of the brands that extends your warranty if you purchase 3 or more pieces? Only problem with Jandy from what I've read is that it must all be professionally installed/maintained. A lot of folks are handy enough to do it themselves and that's a disappointment if they want that equipment in particular.

Maddie :flower:

That's some serious late night dedication! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, Jandy extends the warranty when 3 pieces are included. We'll be covered by including the pump, filter and SWG.

I got the detailed equipment list and had some questions on what he's included:
  1. Pump VS FloPro 1.85 HP: The pool is just about 24K gallons. I've read it's best to go with the biggest VS pump that can be afforded. But, without any features or spa, will this pump perform well enough for our pool size?
  2. Filter SFTM24-2.0: Any reason to question this selection?
  3. Pump With Digital Controller TRUCLEAR™ SALTWATER CHLORINATION He states it produces 18g/hr but it didn't say how many gallons it was rated for.
He also reduced the plumbing to 2 skimmers and 4 returns. Does that sound adequate? No main drains.

The VS FloPro 1.85 HP is fine.

The Truclear system is rated for a 30K pool and should only be used for pools up to around 15K. For a 24K pool it is undersized. You should get the Aquapure 1400 rated for 40K.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The VS FloPro 1.85 HP is fine.

The Truclear system is rated for a 30K pool and should only be used for pools up to around 15K. For a 24K pool it is undersized. You should get the Aquapure 1400 rated for 40K.

Thanks for the info; exactly the feedback I needed! Any idea the round cost of upgrading to the Aquapure 1400? It’s hard to find any pricing reference on Jandy equipment.

Thanks for the info; exactly the feedback I needed! Any idea the round cost of upgrading to the Aquapure 1400? It’s hard to find any pricing reference on Jandy equipment.

One of the downsides with Jandy is they forced all their products off the Internet and made them dealer only. They can charge what their customers will pay.

We have elected to leave out the lights of our initial build, but will have (4) 1.5" fixtures and conduits installed so we can add the lights later. Is there a universal wall fixture that I should make sure is used? I don't really want to be stuck with a specific brand of lights when it comes time put them in.

We have elected to leave out the lights of our initial build, but will have (4) 1.5" fixtures and conduits installed so we can add the lights later. Is there a universal wall fixture that I should make sure is used? I don't really want to be stuck with a specific brand of lights when it comes time put them in.

Plan on using nicheless lights that screw into standard 1.5" threaded PVC. Have the PVC lines threaded and then screw a plug in them.

Look at the installation manual for the different lights you may consider like...

Reactions: Dozenmonkeyz
Plan on using nicheless lights that screw into standard 1.5" threaded PVC. Have the PVC lines threaded and then screw a plug in them.

Look at the installation manual for the different lights you may consider like...

After reading that manufacturers pages, it really doesn't look too bad at all. Thanks for the tip!

We signed our contract today! Decided to add the heater and the builder agree to install rigid pvc. We’re really excited and itching for the weather to clear out for spring! I’m taking on the permit process so that’s my first task. Also planning to hire an excavator to do some grading ahead of the pool install. Subs are all busy so finding someone will be a challenge. More to come soon!

Got word from the builder the pool walls/etc. will ship June 16 and they may start digging and install as early as June 21! It's getting real, now! He has all our equipment in stock so don't expect any issues on that end. The liner selection hasn't yet been confirmed and I'm hoping we won't have to settle for something other than our primary choice.

We still have to pick our fencing and set the layout - deciding between just enclosing the pool area versus doing the whole backyard. Preference is to do the whole thing, but, that's a massive investment and all fencing material is at a premium right now.

Can't wait to start updating this thread with progress pics!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.