Closing in on our first pool

Flail your arms around while talking to the PB in the back, With a big smile on your face. The PB will think you are Italian. Your Wife and kids looking out the window will think you are giving the PB the smack down.

When you go inside tell them that you laid it down good. (y)

Reactions: Dozenmonkeyz
So, a week into this issue and they haven't been able to locate the leak. They spend most of yesterday looking for it via pressure test on the plumbing and using some contraption on all the liner seams/openings. He's a bit baffled and hired a diver to come and inspect it more closely. I still think it's likely in the plumbing or maybe a light conduit, but he's the expert and I'll let him do his thing...

But, they also got all the equipment running again, including the heater 🤩 I'll run my first water test this evening and fill out pool math. Hoping the diver clears the liner so I can drop the robot in and put it in use. Still waiting for a date on the concrete decking but don't want that done until the leak is resolved. I've been running extra electrical conduits, planting fence posts and digging for more retaining walls. Plenty to keep me busy, just wish I could jump in the pool to refresh myself during these hot days!

Reactions: Snoobug and Newdude
The diver was out yesterday and found a leak in the liner which he patched. We marked the water level and will watch it closely to make sure it's resolved. Water temp was 85* yesterday evening and we had our first swim! It was awesome seeing how excited the family was to finally get in.

First swim 2021-08-03.PNG
I didn't run a water test due to some other distractions that came up but will get to it tonight.

Taking tomorrow and Friday off to put a dent in some of my to-do list. Weather looks great and materials are in hand so the pressure is on me to perform haha!

Some things became apparent as priority shopping: towel hanging rack, temporary outdoor rug, and a deck box. I'll be searching through TFP for ideas but if anyone has suggestions on what's good or bad, I'd love to hear.

• Love
Reactions: Snoobug
we had our first swim! It was awesome seeing how excited the family was to finally get in.
All that hard work is gonna pay off in SPADES soon. Savor that first taste, but trust me, It’s just a tiny sip. And WELL done monkeyz!!!!
temporary outdoor rug
Indoor outdoor carpet is $1-$2 a ft at the home centers. It’s cheap if laid out strategically, durable enough to last quite some time, and keeps you out of the mud. If you need something until you figure it out, cardboard works amazing. Last time I had a bunch of pavers on hand so I made a hopscotch like walkway from the stairs and ladder to the diving board. It was prettier to look at but not as clean as the carpet.
and a deck box.
Suncast or any of the sister brands are all the same. They make all shapes and sizes, including garbage cans and bench/boxes. Some have a wicker-y look to make them a little fancier. They hold up to the sun well for those of us that don’t live in the crazy UV places. They have great airflow and don’t ever get a moldy smell. I stored my towels in them, and in them in the garage for the winter and they still came out smelling fresh.

I’ve had many rubber made products over the years and found they warp in the sun in little time.

Man, it's already been over a week since my last post! What's wrong with my priorities??? :D

Worked on the yard Thurs/Fri/Sat and then we took a two day trip out of town. Here's what I managed to get done on the fence - 21 posts, 20 fence panels, and 50 bags on hand mixed concrete - OOF!
IMG_0899.jpgIMG_0900.jpg

Then rain & thunderstorms all this week so not much progress on my end... and still no concrete deck. Things are a terrible muddy mess, but we've been swimming every chance we get and that helps keep the stress down.

I've been far too lax on testing and only managed to log two rounds of results. Here are the latest:
FC: 3.0
CC: 0
PH: 8.4
TA: 150
CYA: <30
Salt: 2600

I added 4lbs of CYA last night. Am I correct in making that my first level to get right? I expect to need more to get it up to around 70 but didn't want to add it all at once. Should I bother trying to bring the PH down while I get the CYA up? And can it hurt either of those to add salt at the same time?

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Am I correct in making that my first level to get right?
Yes. Watch the FC closely in the meantime so you don’t get low as it will burn off faster.
I expect to need more to get it up to around 70 but didn't want to add it all at
Great. Creep up on it because just like the Price is Right, If you guess over there is nothing but disappointment.
Should I bother trying to bring the PH down while I get the CYA up
Yup. It’s completely independent of the other adds. Make sure to give 30 mins between adjusting any chemical. The CYA can soak elsewhere in the pool while you add.
And can it hurt either of those to add salt at the same time?
No. When you have a window between other adds, dump the salt in and give it 30 mins to dissolve. Hit what’s left with the pool brush and give that a bit to finish.

*also be aware anytime you add MA or chlorine that they are heavier than water and may pool up on the bottom. It takes but 2 mins to brush the area real good. So do it twice. Also be aware of where you are pushing said possible puddle to as 30% (?) of it may sit at the end of your brush stroke. So hit that spot too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I clearly suck at updating, but in my defense I've been busy (some work, mostly swimming lol). To end last season
We got the initial 3' deck poured around the perimeter
1657142664265.png
I built the retaining wall, finished most of the fence and had an excavator rough grade the yard. Truthfully, after that I was more interested in getting in the pool than work around it; and the weather allowed us to swim until October even watched a Buckeyes game from the water!
1657142861696.png

Then fall came quickly and it was back to work. Closed it up just before October and installed the safety cover for hibernation season. Once spring broke, we jammed out a lot more on the backyard. Cut in the mulch beds, installed edging, finish graded, planted the lawn and some trees/shrubs, built my fence gates, and a hundred other little things. Plus, our first swim of the season was May 15 - hooray for the heater!

The concrete guys came back just before Memorial weekend and finished the patio which made a huge difference
1657143715647.png

We've been loving all of it, despite the work it took to get here. I was fortunate to have great subs/suppliers and lot's of help from friends and family. I'll work on getting some better shots of the finished (is it every really finished?) product and share. Appreciate everyone's help along the way!

Got a pretty good photo with the lights on
1657211739925.png
I went with 3 Pool Tone nicheless LED lights from Florida Sunseeker. Overall I'm happy with the light output; some colors are better than others but that seems typical for these type of lights. The one issue with them is they don't quite screw in all the way against the wall. So there's a bout a 1/4-3/8" gap between the liner and the back of the light. Not the end of the world and since they were significantly cheaper than any other option I decided to live with it. We'll see how long they hold up.

I like how they look! It really looks like the lights cover the whole pool! Well done!

Since they have a bit of a space behind them make sure to get a small, soft toothbrush for your pool so you can clean behind and around them to be on the safe side.

Kim:kim:

I like how they look! It really looks like the lights cover the whole pool! Well done!

Since they have a bit of a space behind them make sure to get a small, soft toothbrush for your pool so you can clean behind and around them to be on the safe side.

Kim:kim:
That's a great idea!

Ending our first full season and just wanted to offer a huge thanks to TFP for setting us on the right path for efficient pool ownership. I spent less than $150 on chemicals (LC, MA, salt, and a bag of baking powder) and $30 on replacement agents for the TF-Pro test kit. I didn't really track the utility costs diligently for pump and heater operation (plus rates for both gas and electric jumped considerably) but it was right around $1,500 total for May-Sept keeping a pretty constant 85*. Since I'm not really comfortable DIY'ing yet, we'll pay the pool company $800 for open/close.

Not a single instance of algae or anything less than TFP crystal clear water all year. Everyone says what a hassle it is to manage a pool, and without this place I'm sure it is. But we have it easy and owe it all to this site and the fine folks that contribute. Going to miss swimming for the next 7 months!

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Since I'm not really comfortable DIY'ing yet, we'll pay the pool company $800 for open/close
Pay to close. Tip whoever shows up $20 (each) and tell them you need to learn your system. The tips will be an instant attitude adjustment for a nosy homeowner. They'll likely even explain what they're doing.

Take 200 pics. In the spring, you open for free, with the pics to guide you in reverse. Opening is CAKE.

So is closing except for how to blow out your system, which you'll soon learn. (y)

Pay to close. Tip whoever shows up $20 (each) and tell them you need to learn your system. The tips will be an instant attitude adjustment for a nosy homeowner. They'll likely even explain what they're doing.

Take 200 pics. In the spring, you open for free, with the pics to guide you in reverse. Opening is CAKE.

So is closing except for how to blow out your system, which you'll soon learn. (y)
I did watch them close up last fall and it didn't seem too difficult. But wanted the pool company fully responsible while the warranty is in place. Next year I'll likely dig into doing both myself. No doubt there's all the info I need right here!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.