Being Held Hostage By My Pool!!! (aka Intelliph installation)

The tank is flush with the base except where the pump is located. That width is very close to 17”.
View attachment 78930

Also, to the other question, yes, you need an Intellichlor to operate the IntellipH.

thanks for the answer to that. Could you explain why when it has its own controller and doesn’t measure PH

The tank is flush with the base except where the pump is located. That width is very close to 17”.

Awesome, thanks for that info. If I'm reading that right, the tank and the pump together get to 17" or so, but turned 90° the tank alone will fit well within the 17" space between heater and wall (parallel to the wall I'll have several feet of clearance). Yay!

Also, to the other question, yes, you need an Intellichlor to operate the IntellipH.

Thanks for that clarification. I figured as much. Just like Pentair to set it up that way. But in their defense, there probably are not that many that would want an IntellipH without a SWG (so why not make it hard for an owner to use a competitors SWG). As I said, non-issue for me, I have the IntelliChlor already.

OK, I think I'm going to go for it!

thanks for the answer to that. Could you explain why when it has its own controller and doesn’t measure PH

The IntelliPh uses the IntelliChlor's power supply.

And I'm all but certain the IntelliChlor plugs into the IntelliPh's controller, then the IntelliPh plugs into the power supply. Which would imply the IntelliPh can intercept the messages the IntelliChlor is broadcasting in its connecting wire, which carry info about flow status. So the IntelliPh controller will then know if the water is flowing in the pipe or not, and allow acid distribution appropriately.

These two systems are designed to work together, and share the components of each that the other doesn't have, which is Pentair's way of reducing cost. It'd be nice to think Pentair engineered it this way so that us users get the advantage of that cost savings. Yes, that would be nice to think... ;)

Just pushed the ol' Amazon button. IntellipH due to arrive in two days! I'll have it running by Saturday.

I like testing my pool every few days to be sure it's balanced. EZPZ, and comforting. But pouring in acid everyday, not so much. Even if my pool's pH stabilizes at some point, I'll have this summer free from MA handling, and my instinct is I'll get good value out of the IntellipH in years to come...

Just pushed the ol' Amazon button. IntellipH due to arrive in two days! I'll have it running by Saturday.

I like testing my pool every few days to be sure it's balanced. EZPZ, and comforting. But pouring in acid everyday, not so much. Even if my pool's pH stabilizes at some point, I'll have this summer free from MA handling, and my instinct is I'll get good value out of the IntellipH in years to come...

didn't want to clog up the other thread.

so i was just reading the manual for it.

1. are you going to dose manually? meaning keep it at zero and whenever u want go into the app and tell it to dump x amount?

or

2. are you setting it to a percentage. that is my question. is it like the salt cell that when u set the percentage it dumps a percent based on pump run time throughout the pump run time? or is it based on every 60 mins so if u set it to 25% it dumps for 25% of 60 mins so for 15 mins every 60 minutes of pump run time or all day regardless of pump run time?

jim

Yah, I've yet to update this thread with the install. I was doing so in others' threads! More on that later.

Not manually, #2. Still too soon, but this is what I observed so far (I think). It doses every x minutes, for a set period. It's brief. It doesn't appear to be dosing a tiny bit for long spans of time. I believe adjusting the output percentage changes the interval between doses. So it dumps for a minute or two (not sure how long), then waits x minutes (based on the output setting), then dumps again. This repeats while it's on, which is determined by the "pool" mode of the automation, which is when the SWG is powered on. The IntellipH is powered by the SWG transformer, so it is only on when the SWG transformer is powered on, and can't be turned on otherwise.

So it is similar to the SWG in that the output setting controls how much total acid goes in over the span of time the SWG is running, but the actual dispensing is different than the way the SWG does it.

It does have a manual "boost" mode, where it'll dispense a shot on demand. And I used that to prime the lines. And would again I suppose if I needed to, but I'm hoping to find a happy % that'll maintain pH "close enough" as I've been able to do for FC with the SWG...

I wouldn't use the IntellipH just to dose manually. I'd have to stand there for a while to get that done. I'd dose the pool directly before doing that. I have a very slick way of doing that (a different thread). No, the automation is what I'm after. I'm hoping to not have to touch chem's during swim season, and I'm hoping to be able to leave my pool for a week (or more) at a time without human intervention.

Yeah, my experience is a similar with our auto dosing machine. I’ve found I need long run times to dose even partially enough. Still sorting mine out. With my system the ability to tell it to manually dose allows me to input a specific amount of acid then walk away. After asking for the amount to be dosed (which is a long time) it asks which mode to go into after dosing is complete. I select auto then there is no need to go back out there. Our system uses diluted acid so I need to account for the dilution when entering amount. It does seem pretty accurate and brings ph down what pool math says the (adjusted) amount says it should.

OK, here's my install, before and after. I removed a check valve that wasn't necessary (left over from tab feeder days). So that should improve my flow to the SWG. I was all proud of using a threaded T (got that idea elsewhere here), but I now realize I did that wrong. I had purchased similar Ts for those two hose bibs (solar system drains), and got chastised by the pool guy, who corrected the Ts to what I have now. Notice the 2"x2"x2" Ts? With the reducers? His logic was that they would be tougher and less prone to breaking should someone knick the hose bib, like stepping on it. The IntellipH injector is all plastic, and sticking up, tall and skinny, and just begging to be kicked. What I should have done was to use a 2"x2"x2" T, with two threaded reducers. That way, should the injector take a hit, hard enough to ruin it and what it's threaded into, I could back out the smaller reducer from the larger one, and replace easily as it wouldn't be glued in... next time...

I did leave a good chunk of pipe before and after the T, so I can cut that out and have pipe to add/replace something. Which is how all PVC plumbing should be done. Makes me nuts to see fittings and valves, etc all jammed right up to each other, leaving no way to glue something new in, save having to replace perfectly good items that are all too close together. I have a lot of that on my pad, unfortunately. The installer of the check valve only left me 3/4" between it and the SWG, but I did manage to eek out another 3/4". I cut through the collar of the check valve, then Dremeled a slice out of the remaining collar. I was thinking I'd have to Dremel the whole thing off, but once I got that first slice, and jammed a screw driver between the collar and the pipe, the collar peeled right off. Kinda scary to think the glue wasn't doing much, but it worked and saved me $25 (the price Pentair wants for a new SWG union). So that's why the coupler is jammed right up to the SWG union.

Today's pH was way high, so so far the IpH is not helping me. I goosed its output another 10% for tomorrow's run.

The IntellipH is tucked behind my heater, out of the way, between the heater and the wall. Hopefully that'll keep it safe(r) from kids. Not crazy about that thin little hose running from the tank to the injector, but it is what it is. I tucked it out of the way, and/or ran it along existing pipe as best I could.

I just have to paint the new PVC. Anybody know where I get that "Pentair Tan" spray paint?

Before and after:

intelliph 1.jpg

intelliph 2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have though of putting in an Intelliph. But I was concerned with having to locate it too close to my equipment, like next to the heater. The MA is fumes are really corrosive to any metal nearby. I guess you can be my guinea pig to see if that is an issue .........

I thought long and hard about that. My other choice was sandwiched between pump and filter, which would have been more convenient to fill and work on, but I didn't want it so close to the pump, which is right under the ET and other stuff.

The lid is sealed well, so I don't think that will be the problem. There is a vent, which if I read correctly somewhere, accepts a tube (maybe the same tube used to deliver the acid), which I am assuming means I can run that tube well away from my pad and vent the acid elsewhere. I'm hoping that's going to solve for this issue.

I don't use my heater, and don't ever plan to. I have the solar, and I'm too cheap to spend NG. So I'm not gambling that much.

I'll keep you posted.

My bigger worry this morning is the thing is not working. I've got it up to 70%, which should be way too high based on the manual's spec's about how much that dispenses, and my pH hasn't budged. I think I noticed that the acid is still at the same level in the IpH tank as when I first put it in. I've marked that with a piece of tape to test. I'm thinking the thing hasn't primed correctly yet. And maybe that's also due to the vent? I have to admit, I didn't read the instructions 100%, so I may have missed something about the start up. The pump is working, I just don't think it's pumping acid yet. My plan today was to remove the tube from the injector and see if it's actually pushing acid or not. And if not, to continue to run it until it primes. Maybe fool with the vent to see if it's shut or what? Not sure.

Anybody have any experience with this issue? I hope I don't have a defective one, because it's bolted down and full of MA, so I really don't want to have to return it!

Dirk,

You didn't buy the IntelliPh "lite" did you?? :poke:

Sorry I could not help myself.. :p

My real question is what difference in ScreenLogic do you see, if any?

I'm also thinking about adding an acid injector.. Just not sure I want the IntellipH or a Stenner pump system..

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you’ve been following my dramas these are the exact issues I’ve been having with my system. I have primed over and over and cannot get both lines free of air. Pb says it doesn’t matter. Manufacturer says it doesn’t matter. I think it is part of my problem. Your post reminds me I need to check my ph to make sure it’s still calibrated properly. My system has been nothing short of ridiculous. Mine is meant to auto dose to bring the ph down to a set amount. It has never brought it down to where it should be. I do think it is auto dosing a little as it won’t let it rise sky high as it did early on. Pb changed the avid dosing to maximum output and increased my pool volume on the system. I have also increased my pump run times significantly as I have a theory that as it doses in such small amounts it needs the run time to dose enough.

My bigger worry this morning is the thing is not working. I've got it up to 70%, which should be way too high based on the manual's spec's about how much that dispenses, and my pH hasn't budged. I think I noticed that the acid is still at the same level in the IpH tank as when I first put it in. I've marked that with a piece of tape to test. I'm thinking the thing hasn't primed correctly yet. And maybe that's also due to the vent? I have to admit, I didn't read the instructions 100%, so I may have missed something about the start up. The pump is working, I just don't think it's pumping acid yet. My plan today was to remove the tube from the injector and see if it's actually pushing acid or not. And if not, to continue to run it until it primes. Maybe fool with the vent to see if it's shut or what? Not sure.

Anybody have any experience with this issue? I hope I don't have a defective one, because it's bolted down and full of MA, so I really don't want to have to return it!

Stupid Pentair! They are under the impression that their stupid directions are enough, and don't take into account that pool owners are busy, and yet lazy at the same time. Apparently, the IntllipH's supply tube (the one leading from the acid reservoir) must be connected to only one side of the pump, and the delivery tube (running to the pool) must also be connected only to the other side. The stupid machine cannot even detect when the tubes are crossed. So the stupid thing will just pump backwards into the stupid reservoir, and not deliver any stupid acid to the pool.

Stupid being the operative word...

Dirk,

You didn't buy the IntelliPh "lite" did you?? :poke:

Sorry I could not help myself.. :p

My real question is what difference in ScreenLogic do you see, if any?

I'm also thinking about adding an acid injector.. Just not sure I want the IntellipH or a Stenner pump system..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ha, ha! No more lite for me! I like my Pentair like I like my beer!!

Someone else suggested the Stenner, as if I had made a mistake going with Pentair. I now have a slightly better answer today than "Uh, I didn't think about it."

The injector is placed just before the SWG. After solving my IpH "issue" I ran the pump manually. I noticed that the SWG went to zero output while the acid was injecting, then came back to 60% when it was done. So I guess Pentair thinks it important to inject acid before the SWG, but that the SWG not be energized while doing so.

If it is, in fact, better to have the SWG off for acid injection, that's something the Stenner wouldn't manage.

Regarding ScreenLogic... I was pleased to discover that none of the SWG functionality within ScreenLogic is lost by adding the IntellipH. I can still program it from ScreenLogic exactly as I did before. The IntellipH does not get controlled by ScreenLogic, and none of its data shows up anywhere. I have yet to see if the ET interface is any different, as in some sort of IntellipH control available to it, which would mean I'd have some control from my Indoor Control Panel. Scratch that, I just checked. Assuming the IntellipH menu item would be in the same menu as the IntelliChlor, there is no IntellipH control from the ET. Which is unfortunate. I suspect that Pentair holds out on us in that regard, so that we are more tempted to buy the IntelliChem system (which is represented in the ET menus). That sounds like Pentair.

I don't know anything about Stenner, and didn't bother to learn before making the decision to buy the IntellipH. There does seem to be some minor compatibility between IntellipH and IntelliChlor, so that's reason enough for me. Since this "dumb" function of just dumping in a predetermined amount of acid each day is relatively simple, does either brand offer something the other doesn't? Price, maybe? IntellipH was about five bills (I installed it myself and am rolling the dice on the warranty since it is a relatively simple machine, and the replacement parts are reasonable. At least the pump mechanism and motor are. Not sure what Pentair would clip me for a new controller.)

Since I've yet to have a day when the thing is working, I can't yet weigh in on if it can do what I want yet...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I thought of the other reason. If for some reason I someday decide to go with IntelliChem, or its decedent, I'll be glad I have the IntellipH...

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I got halfway through page one of this thread:

Stenner pump for chlorine. Help with sizing and install ideas

And concluded IntellipH was the right choice for me. Not exactly extensive research, but these guys are going back and forth about the model of Stenner, the tank (extra), the timer (extra), how to wire everything, battery backups, kludging into automation, etc, etc. And unless there is some sort of bargain Stenner model, the IntellipH is not out of the price range. From the limited Stenner pic on Amazon, the pump looks to be the same type of mechanism as the IntellipH: a set of wheels smooshing a rubber tube. I think if you have an IntelliChlor, the IntellipH is the appropriate choice. Certainly not a bad choice...

If you’ve been following my dramas these are the exact issues I’ve been having with my system. I have primed over and over and cannot get both lines free of air. Pb says it doesn’t matter. Manufacturer says it doesn’t matter. I think it is part of my problem. Your post reminds me I need to check my ph to make sure it’s still calibrated properly. My system has been nothing short of ridiculous. Mine is meant to auto dose to bring the ph down to a set amount. It has never brought it down to where it should be. I do think it is auto dosing a little as it won’t let it rise sky high as it did early on. Pb changed the avid dosing to maximum output and increased my pool volume on the system. I have also increased my pump run times significantly as I have a theory that as it doses in such small amounts it needs the run time to dose enough.

I don't see what you're using in your sig. The IntellipH is a dumb machine. It just pumps X amount of acid per day, via small doses every X number of minutes. It doesn't know, or care, about anything pool: size, pH, water type, etc. It just dumps acid. I solved for why mine wasn't working, so I'm expecting better results tomorrow. I didn't even look at Pentair's "smart" alternative, the IntelliChem, which measures pH and FC and doses accordingly. That sounds problematic to me, and I think there is some Internet scuttlebutt that corroborates that. I don't need to come home to a pool blasted with four gallons of acid because a Pentair computer couldn't figure out my pH. I suppose the IntellipH could malfunction, and create a hazard, but that seems less likely than with a system that requires gizmos that measure water chemistry that must be calibrated. Sounds like that's what you're experiencing?

What are you using?

I don't see what you're using in your sig. The IntellipH is a dumb machine. It just pumps X amount of acid per day, via small doses every X number of minutes. It doesn't know, or care, about anything pool: size, pH, water type, etc. It just dumps acid. I solved for why mine wasn't working, so I'm expecting better results tomorrow. I didn't even look at Pentair's "smart" alternative, the IntelliChem, which measures pH and FC and doses accordingly. That sounds problematic to me, and I think there is some Internet scuttlebutt that corroborates that. I don't need to come home to a pool blasted with four gallons of acid because a Pentair computer couldn't figure out my pH. I suppose the IntellipH could malfunction, and create a hazard, but that seems less likely than with a system that requires gizmos that measure water chemistry that must be calibrated. Sounds like that's what you're experiencing?

What are you using?

It’s in my signature. It’s the EQ35 chlorinator by Astral (Australian brand obviously). Mine has the ph probe which I think is optional (but I didn’t opt for it). Without the ph probe it performs as yours seems to with regard to acid dosing. You just set it to dispense a certain level of acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.