Backwash dilemma

PoolGuy38

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 23, 2018
Sherman Oaks, Ca
I want to backwash my Jandy DE filter. I bought a 2” backwash hose and clamp. The outflow from the filter is 2 1/2” in outside diameter and I’m unable to stretch the hose to fit. Is there a way to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Can you buy a reducer at Home Depot such that it fits your outlet and match to your hose? You will need to glue (or thread) on the reducer pipe (not sure what is on exit port of your filter). Alternatively, can you exchange the hose for the larger size? The exit velocity of your backwash is substantial so ensure you have that reducer and your clamp on snug.

Here’s a picture. I did find some larger diameter hoses but they’re expensive and I’m not sure they will fit. The backwash water comes out the bottom of the valve.
For clarity - the diagram in the picture states that the bottom (port E) is to the pool and port A is to waste. Is the bottom just open-ended or does it have a cap on it? Just trying to think how to adapt to it.

Have you tried to insert a short piece of 2" pipe into the socket? If it fits - a short 2" piece of pipe, a 2" elbow and a length of 2" pipe - pointed in the direction of your choice and all glued together should work. And then attach the hose to that.

If you plan on using the normal blue backwash hose, be sure it doesn't have any kinks in it before turning the pump on in backwash mode - cause a kick can easily pop the hose.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.