Need advice -- want to convert sand filter to cartridge filter, b/c we have to backwash into our yard

Arcpool13

May 5, 2020
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It appears our only option is to backwash into the yard, which is what we do when we open the pool and once or twice during the season as needed. Though not frequent, it makes the yard incredibly messy and water sprays everywhere b/c we cannot find a good backwash hose. Also believe in our area we cannot backwash into the street or tie into any sewage.

Is there any set up that anyone recommends to alleviate this? Otherwise, I think converting to a cartridge filter is the way to go.

Concerns, feedback, advice??

In my area of Texas you are 'required' to backwash into the sewer.. I suggest that you contract your City, and see what their rules say about backwashing pool filters.

Also.. You have to clean dirty cartridge filters, once or twice a year, so where would you plan to do that??

I am a big cartridge filter fan, but I don't live in a place where we close our pools... In your location, being able to backwash, is a good thing. You can't backwash cartridge filters..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It appears our only option is to backwash into the yard, which is what we do when we open the pool and once or twice during the season as needed. Though not frequent, it makes the yard incredibly messy and water sprays everywhere b/c we cannot find a good backwash hose. Also believe in our area we cannot backwash into the street or tie into any sewage.

Is there any set up that anyone recommends to alleviate this? Otherwise, I think converting to a cartridge filter is the way to go.

Concerns, feedback, advice??
If you have a harbor freight nearby carry backwash hoses. I ordered one on Amazon and use that.

Yes, the hose inevitably bursts, and is just generally unwieldy. When SLAMming the pool, the amount of water that goes into the yard during backwashing is a lot. Would cleaning cartridge filters require the same amount of water and at that force?

The hose is hooked up to another pipe. The one that came with the house honestly works better than any newer one we have bought, but it is duct taped onto the pipe. I will take pics this weekend and post. Appreciate all your feedback.

Reactions: Newdude
Would cleaning cartridge filters require the same amount of water and at that force?
No. You use the garden hose to clean the filters. Mine used to get this filled with pollen in the spring, and left a small pile of crud in the grass. I'd spray it a bit to spread it around, and it would be gone by the 1st mowing, or gone *because* of the 1st mowing. :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot_20240301_155326_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240301_155131_Gallery.jpg

Yes, the hose inevitably bursts, and is just generally unwieldy. When SLAMming the pool, the amount of water that goes into the yard during backwashing is a lot. Would cleaning cartridge filters require the same amount of water and at that force?

The hose is hooked up to another pipe. The one that came with the house honestly works better than any newer one we have bought, but it is duct taped onto the pipe. I will take pics this weekend and post. Appreciate all your feedback.
Look for REINFORCED discharge hose. You won’t burst that if you try. The regular stuff is just garbage. If you don’t want the hose flopping around the yard get 2 inch hose and hose clamp a 1 foot section of 1.5 inch schedule 40 inside the end, with about 8 inches hanging out of the end of the hose. Set a brick/cinderblock/weight on that pvc pipe during backwash cycles and it won’t move.