QXZCFzF.jpeg

And with that, I'm done cutting and mortaring down the coping. Just need to do the grout and then that step will truly be done. This turned out way better than I could have ever anticipated, and dare I say better than I would have expected had I paid a 'professional.' I'm especially happy with the corners of the steps here.

I need to give a lot of thanks to @jimmythegreek because I used his past comments around this forum extensively when figuring out how to do this step. I don't think he's been on here much lately, but I hope he's well, and anyone that comes after me trying to do this I highly recommend you seek out his advice.
Looks amazing, great work!

My safety cover shipped!

I'm going to try and get the grout of the coping done before Friday, but weather dependent on if that'll happen or not. Friday I am going to fine-tune the gravel so that the pavers will match up to the coping at the pool, and then this weekend we're going to be starting to lay pavers. My wife and I both took off next week so we can hopefully get that knocked out.

f7ycgsm.jpeg

aJsyOp2.jpeg

8dS57Qo.jpeg

The grout is done. Very happy with how everything turned out. I added a small amount of what Quikcrete calls 'buff' dye to each batch of mortar. We're hoping it dries to a sand/khaki color. Even though I did a test batch it's still a little unnerving waiting for the colors to fade out. I need to do an acid wash to clean up the little bits of mortar I got on the faces.

f7ycgsm.jpeg

aJsyOp2.jpeg

8dS57Qo.jpeg

The grout is done. Very happy with how everything turned out. I added a small amount of what Quikcrete calls 'buff' dye to each batch of mortar. We're hoping it dries to a sand/khaki color. Even though I did a test batch it's still a little unnerving waiting for the colors to fade out. I need to do an acid wash to clean up the little bits of mortar I got on the faces.
Looks awesome, great work! And that water looks pristine!

@Newdude potentially a dumb question but, is it normal to have air bubbles coming out the returns? My pH is constantly at 8.2+, and so I've been adding acid weekly to try and keep it down. I understand you said that because I'm running the pump 24/7 with the SWG I'm aerating, but just wondering if the bubbles I'm seeing are 'normal' or if there's some extra aeration happening somehow that I could try and mitigate.

potentially a dumb question
Not at all cuz you asked it. The dumb ones are the ones you don't ask, and something catastrophic happens.
is it normal to have air bubbles coming out the returns
The SWG makes champagne like bubbles when it's producing. Turn the unit off / set it to 0% and see if they stop. (y)

Reactions: dleonard1122
Not at all cuz you asked it. The dumb ones are the ones you don't ask, and something catastrophic happens.

The SWG makes champagne like bubbles when it's producing. Turn the unit off / set it to 0% and see if they stop. (y)

I'll check that out, thanks. Is adding acid weekly a normal part of life for some pool owners, or should I expect it to settle down eventually?

It can be.

It will hopefully calm down some. Your TA steadily declined into the double digits and now it will likely start to stabilize the PH better.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I did have the realization that this most recent test result of high pH could very well be the result of all of the mortar that I dropped into the pool when I was tuck pointing the coping. From what I gather, cement is very alkaline, and apparently that's why we use muriatic acid to etch or clean concrete. #science

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
You're trying to maintain the high 7 PH range now, right? Shoot for 7.8 and adjust at 8 or 8.2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
6WVpb2C.jpeg

Started on the pavers this morning. For just being my wife and I we are making good progress. It's a bit annoying working off of the existing pavers, but once we fully get past all of that things should go smoother.

Did I mention how ready I am for this project to be over? :LOL:

VskxFXT.jpeg

Day 2. Not as much progress in pure sqft of pavers layed, but we got a lot done. A good bit of the morning was eaten up fussing with the channel drain on the right. That's plumbed in to my drainage now, so hopefully that helps.

Tomorrow should be the last full day of just laying pavers, which is good because I lose my helper after tomorrow too. Then I anticipate it'll probably take me 2 solid days just to do the cuts around the pool coping, and the soldier course around the perimeter of the patio. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it may just be a train, who knows.

• Love
Reactions: Lanzz and Newdude
Awesome build! Wow! What I do to manage my PH is I let the TA drift down to where it wants (60 in my case). I point the returns down so as to not agitate the surface of the water (without water features this works great) and I don’t bother adding in any acid unless the PH goes above 7.8. I go though less then a gallon of MA a season. Like you, I also run my pump and my SWG 24/7. Once you get the PH figured out maintaining your chemicals will be super easy. I usually just have to adjust my salt and CYA a few times a season as I get a lot of rain.

You have some great November weather to get your pavers done.

All those cuts are going to be 90% of the work.

You have some great November weather to get your pavers done.

All those cuts are going to be 90% of the work.
I could not have gotten luckier with the week I decided to take off of work coinciding with 65°+ and sunny weather for a week straight in November.

Reactions: Newdude
@ajw22 you mentioned here that polymeric sand shouldn't be used in the expansion joint between a paver pool deck and a precast coping, so that's the advice I'm going off on making my expansion joint. Do you have a recommendation on expansion joint width I should shoot for since we are in relatively the same climate.

My local HD only had 3/4" closed cell backer rod, which seemed a bit wider than I anticipated. I was thinking 3/8" would be sufficient, but interested to hear what you recommend.

Additionally, would this work for the top sealant?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.