What's the latest and greatest in SWGs as of May 2024 for 12,500g in ground plaster pool?

Vince-1961

Jul 1, 2014
North Fort Pierce, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
On May 22, 2024, I purchased a house with an in-ground, plaster 15x30x4.5 kidney shaped pool (so figure 12,500 gallons) with a cartridge filter and hockey-puck chlorinator. It has been maintained by some local pool company and not by the previous owner. I tested the water for the first time today and, as I anticipated, the CYA level is 100+ off the chart! So, obviously it's drain and refill time, but that's not the point to this thread. It's been a LONG time since I last looked at SWG's. What's the latest and greatest out there nowadays?

Last edited:
If you have automation, you should match brands.

Many here like the Circupool offerings if you don't have automation. Depends on your budget, but the RJ series is robust.

Make sure to get one sized for a 30K pool (at least twice the size of your pool).

Might update your signature...seems like you upgraded your pool!!!

They are a pretty basic piece of equipment.

The only real update for US based manufacturers is that Hayward now has a system that uses what Australia manufacturers use, the % generation is not just on/off over a set period but a real variation in continuous generation.

The pool company that had been maintaining the pool at the house I just bought recommended a product of which I've never heard, namely a "Pool Pilot Digital Nano 220V with PPC1 manifold." by a company called AutoPilot for $1,900, installed. Pool Pilot® Digital Nano 220V with PPC1 Manifold - AutoPilot Website

Anyone ever heard of this? Good ? Bad? otherwise?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone ever heard of this? Good ? Bad? otherwise?
Use effects of adding in poolmath to see the different units output and what they'll do. 1.1 lbs of chlorine per 24 hours for example will make 11 FC per day for you. With a smaller pool, they're all good options for you.

Screenshot_20240603_133605.jpg

What, apart from capacity, is different between the Pentair IC40 (Intellichlor) and the ichlor 30? Which is the better choice?
IntelliChlor is a more robust product and a better choice then the iChlor.

Autopilot was one of the early SWGs and never got broad distribution. It is a niche product sold by Pool Stores. SaltPoolGuys.com: AutoPilot Pool Pilot Experts Provides good support for the system.

Circupool SWGs work well.

All the SWGs will be the same when they are working and generating chlorine. When they go on the fritz then you have very different experiences in who you can turn to for help.