What has just ruined my pool? Pump? Heater?

Randomguy81

Jan 1, 2020
Jensen beach Florida
I came back to a pool green and full of rust (had a service Tuesday and no issues). Took apart the pump and found rust inside

I’m slowly going insane just looking at my 8 month old pool that’s screwed

can I recover my pool / remove the rust marks? It’s not even a year old

Attachments

• AAB6B008-27F5-4E99-B91C-450496BBDBF0.jpeg
    AAB6B008-27F5-4E99-B91C-450496BBDBF0.jpeg
    752.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 171C547D-6454-41BF-989E-9E53F4A84670.jpeg
    171C547D-6454-41BF-989E-9E53F4A84670.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 01C46038-8535-43D8-A79D-2E11D8F6B698.jpeg
    01C46038-8535-43D8-A79D-2E11D8F6B698.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Why do you assume it is the SWCG? SWG's are not magic, they still require you to test and ensure your water is balanced. If the pool turned green, it is pretty obvious that the pool was not kept balanced..

What do you mean you "had a service Tuesday"???

Tell us more..

Note.. I see you have several CircuPool items, so not sure which one you are talking about.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The motor shaft won’t be exposed to the water unless the seal is leaking.

So, you have a shaft seal leak that will rust the shaft regardless of the water chemistry.

Some salt contains iron. So, that might be the source of iron.

All water from natural sources has iron. Your city water has iron; it just depends on how much.

Well water can have significant amounts of iron. Do you have well water?

What is the chemistry history from the fill date to now?

Drop some vitamin C tabs on a spot to see if the iron clears up where the tabs sit.

If it clears, that indicates iron.

You can do an ascorbic acid treatment, but the iron just goes back into the water and it will eventually restain in anywhere from a day to 6 months.

If the iron stains showed up immediately after the service, it's likely that added salt was the source of iron or chlorine was added that oxidized the existing iron in the water into rust stains.

What was added during the service?

Take a deep breath...

If there is a solution to this issue (there very likely is), then the three experts that just showed up in your thread will be able help you find it. Just answer their questions, even if you don't yet see how that will help.

Meanwhile, I haven't read them, but if you use the TFP search field you can find lots of threads about rust and how to get rid of it.

Another deep breath... we got you...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I’m taking a breath

currently in Home Depot grabbing a temporary pump and a stainless brush so I can at least get the filter going

service - pool guy comes every Tuesday to clean and balance chemicals. Normally it’s a self thing but we have cancer in the family and I have been up in Delaware until today (great to come back to after a solid 15hr drive)

not on a well

I will have to ask the pool guy for the chemical history - he’s reputable so that’s one thing.

thank you to everyone being so responsive whilst I have a mental breakdown.

The pump is not the problem. The only parts of the pump exposed to the water are not going to rust.

The rust that you see is due to a seal leak that has been happening for a while. It should have been noticed by the service person.

A service should be leaving you a written description of all work done, all chemistry and all chemicals added.

Was the pool good before the most recent service?

Try the vitamin C.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If it’s a seal leak then the pump is the problem no?

will pick up some vitamin c tablets after Home Depot

anything else I should be picking up?

once again from a tired guy with upset kids that can’t swim after building it up for the 15hr journey home - thank you for your time, patience and knowledge

An update post of chemical test readings from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006c can help. Whenever techs come to service, I always worry about them driving the pH down too low with over application of acid and/or use of tabs. You might also inspect the heater core when you get a chance. Hope your day gets better.

I had my neighbor switch on my pool heater last 2 days ago - could the heat have caused some reaction? This is the only thing that changed recently and the neighbor said they did not see any issues with the pool - they would (I hope) have noticed considering how bad it was

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.