Weir door replacment

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
My father in laws 20 year old pool doesn't have a weir door on the skimmer. I can't tell what make of a thing it is. Are they all the same size? I'm going to measure it anyway...

I have two rent houses with old pools and neither of them had weir doors.. You could see where the old doors used to mount was broken off..

I just measured the width and height and then bought two universal doors that would fit.. They have spring loaded pins that hold the door tight at the bottom and let it pivot..

They have both been in place and working for about 5 or 6 years without any issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I took a measurement and went best guess as I saw a name (but no model number) on the skimmer lid. It's on 13 bucks on amzn so no loss if it's wrong.

Jim what do the pins grab on to? I would think a good wave would push them out if they are just pressure fit against the side walls? :scratch:

Rob,

That is what I thought also, but like I said they have been in operation for about 6 years..

The pins just push against the edges of the skimmer.. In my case I didn't have much choice since the areas where the original weirs attached were gone. And they were relatively cheap, so it was worth trying them.. They may have moved a little, but they still work and have never fallen out. In fact since they have been installed, I have yet to touch them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Arizonarob
I just measured the width and height and then bought two universal doors that would fit.. They have spring loaded pins that hold the door tight at the bottom and let it pivot..

I've had one of these on my pool for about 9 years. It's just getting to the point it needs replacing as the rubber on the end of the pivot is starting to degrade. Cheap, easy to install and very effective.

The only issue I have is when the cleaner is in and the kids futz around with the the hose it moves and needs re-positioning. No major issue and much cheaper than a skimmer rebuild.

I'm guessing a Skimmer rebuild involves digging the original one out of the deck and cementing in a new one? Interestingly enough, after I starting doing online searches for skimmers, my FB feed suddenly starts showing ads for the skim around thing. Could this be the greatest thing since sliced bread? I see they have one that goes out into the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was very difficult to take measurements of the door as the waterline was quite high and too cold to jump in. Plus, since my father in law had forgotten to turn on the skimmer for the last 6 months after getting the leak repaired, it looks like there's a load of black mold around the tile line. I'm thinking scrubbing with magic eraser might get rid of it. This is what I ordered to replace the door.
20190324_132117.jpg
20190324_132148.jpg

Just from the pegs I see on your skimmer it appears you’ve got the right one. These generic ones Jim mentioned are good ‘catch-all’ replacements. I had the generic spring set ones until the spring rusted and found leaves were coming and going out of the skimmer and I presume the weir door was at least 5 years old, so a good life span. I did the research as you did and found a actual genuine anchored replacement for my StaRite U3 skimmer and I fathom it’ll last a decade. I felt I wanted to bring my pool back to its OEM specs. It screwed in at 2 anchor points.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.