Urgent, please help - Structural Cracks

ARAllen

Feb 5, 2020
phoenix, az
We just bought a house with a pool. We've only lived here six months and a while ago, about 2 months, we noticed two cracks. With the rainy weather and the holidays it took a long time to get someone out to test them. They are structural cracks in the concrete shell and we are working with a contractor to fix them. They just drained the pool and started chiseling out one crack and at the same time noticed two more cracks, smaller but still a problem.
All the research I have done, and the information I have received from the contractor, indicates something in the original construction was done incorrectly. But, this pool is 25 years old, so I feel like those explanations don't fit our situation. What could have caused these cracks to happen now, 25 years after installation? Do we need to jackhammer out the deck and look at the soil behind the concrete shell?
Also, now my pool is empty. How long can it stay empty before causing additional problems?
AND, uncharacteristically, it has gotten to 31 degrees the last two nights and is suppose to reach 32 again tonight. My contractor said it shouldn't cause any problems. Do you agree?

Attachments

• Crack Shell.JPG
    Crack Shell.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 53
  • OG Crack.JPG
    OG Crack.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Small Crack.jpg
    Small Crack.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 51
I don’t see how anyone could make the statement on a 25 year old pool that it was caused by the build?? Gunite pool shells can crack, it happens. Most pools here in AZ are built in heavy clay soils that can expand and contract a lot depending on the rainfall. If the pool was ever drained and left empty for a long time, a cracked shell is possible. It’s really hard to say based on the details you have posted. Perhaps you can give some more information on your location and the layout of your property and the terrain around the pool. There may be nothing to it other than “you bought an old pool and these things sometimes happen”.

It sounds like the contractor is doing the right approach to fixing it (staples and epoxy injection). So that’s good.

Also, if the previous owner knew about these cracks and did not disclose them on their real estate papers, you may have cause to seek some money back from the seller. However, if a pool inspection was done and you accepted it, then there’s likely no recourse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.