Timer shorted? Can I replace with the same model?

GhostyGhost

Apr 1, 2021
Kansas City
Hi Everyone,

I've lived in my house with a pool for about 2 years now and haven't had much of an issue until tonight. I came out to turn the pool pump on tonight and the on button on my paragon ec4004 would not turn my pump on. Looking at it closer the breaker labeled pool in the house was tripped and there are some burn marks on the wires and on the nut (removed in the picture). Suffice to say and judging by the damage the timer is ruined. Are there any issues with just replacing it with the same model? Or maybe an idea of what could have caused this? I have a Pentair Super flo SF-N1-1A for reference. Can I control the pump without a timer in the meantime?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 16
GG,

With the breaker off, wire nut the two wires that were on the timer, going to the pump, together. Basically, bypassing the timer.. When you turn the breaker back on, if the pump runs fine for an hour or so, then replacing the timer with the same model should work just fine.

Obviously, if the breaker pops as soon as you turn it on, that would indicate a pump motor failure of some kind.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! Unfortunately no luck there.

I twisted black to black and white to white as seen here, turned the breaker back on, and flipped the power switch on the wall of the house to on but nothing happened.

The breaker did not trip and I was able to verify the other switch in the box that controls the pool light still works so there is power still up to at least the switch. I also included a picture of the timer with how it was wired previously. I guess would the next step be to verify the pump is getting power with a multimeter? or did I do something incorrectly?

Attachments

• image0(1).jpeg
    image0(1).jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image1(1).jpeg
    image1(1).jpeg
    488.3 KB · Views: 8
GG,

I can't tell what is what in your pic, but the best thing to do is check at the pump and see if you have power.

Is your pump running off of 120 or 240 volts. I assume 120 VAC, but you can't go by just the wire colors.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's a pentair superflo SF-N1-1A/340038. Seems these come in both 115 and 230v but I'm relatively confident it is the 115v.

Sorry about the pictures. The first picture is how I have it wired currently (just the pairs twisted together with electrical tape around them). The second picture was the timer that used to sit in that plastic box with the piece of paper the previous owner had given me. From left to right:The first lug had both whites, the second lug had just a little jumper connector on it, the third had the jumper and the black from the switch, and the rightmost one had the black from the pump.

Once I finish up with work today I'm going to measure the voltage at the pump and see if it is getting power. If it isn't I'll be able to rule out the wiring and get a new pump.

Last edited:
It's a pentair superflo SF-N1-1A/340038. Seems these come in both 115 and 230v but I'm relatively confident it is the 115v.

Sorry about the pictures. The first picture is how I have it wired currently (just the pairs twisted together with electrical tape around them). The second picture was the timer that used to sit in that plastic box with the piece of paper the previous owner had given me. From left to right:The first lug had both whites, the second lug had just a little jumper connector on it, the third had the jumper and the black from the switch, and the rightmost one had the black from the pump.

Once I finish up with work today I'm going to measure the voltage at the pump and see if it is getting power. If it isn't I'll be able to rule out the wiring and get a new pump.
Hope it’s not the pump but if you have 220V consider getting a VS if they aren’t too crazy expensive. Will help your power bill and usually are a lot quieter.

That timer is no longer made. Since it was rated at 208-240v, likely it was switching only one leg of a 240v motor unless some creative wiring was done. That is the first thing you need to be absolutely sure of, the voltage the motor is set to use.

Just wanted to give an update here. I verified the pump was 115v and the multimeter showed it was getting proper voltage. I ended up rewiring the wires again and this time the pump turned on with the switch. Looks like I just didn't have them tight enough. I'll be replacing the electrical tape with wire nuts for now until I find a new timer but I appreciate everyone's help with this! It was definitely a learning experience! :)

Reactions: markayash
Just wanted to give an update here. I verified the pump was 115v and the multimeter showed it was getting proper voltage. I ended up rewiring the wires again and this time the pump turned on with the switch. Looks like I just didn't have them tight enough. I'll be replacing the electrical tape with wire nuts for now until I find a new timer but I appreciate everyone's help with this! It was definitely a learning experience! :)
T101R if you want a complete timer for 115/120v. T101M (just the mechanism) if it will fit your current enclosure. Bullet-proof time clocks.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
T101R if you want a complete timer for 115/120v. T101M (just the mechanism) if it will fit your current enclosure. Bullet-proof time clocks.
That one product that you can find deals on looking at Amazon “ used “. I bought a replacement for mine for $35 compared to $65 new. I only buy from Amazon warehouse so if you have issues they will stand behind it.
95% of the time it’s where somebody bought the wrong one and returned it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.