Thanks, I guess the instructions that came with it were good cause I did what was in the video. OK here are my first results and reading the numbers I think I have to drain some of the pool. Ill probably run the tests one more time just in case I made a mistake but please feel free to let me know your thoughts.

1. The FC test I did twice and got similar numbers. First one was 16 and second one was 20.
2. CC test was 2 on the first one and 3 on the second one.
3. T100 test. This was odd and I am not sure if the chemical is bad or not. The PH was around 7.2 but the Chlorine/Bromine the water turned orange
4. The calcium was 250 ppm
5. The TA was 140
6. The CYA was around 100. I have a defective view tube as everything was dripping out.

The K1000 test just use for pH. No need to use the Chlorine side. Just use the FAS-DPD test for chlorine.

The CYA should still work but let's make sure @OTPirate knows about the defective test vial.

100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.
From you dilute CYA test we can let you know what amount of water you should drain / exchange to lower your CYA to 50ppm or so.

OK that sounds great. Will begin tomorrow cause I need to get plastic tubing to drain to street and its going to rain in a few days. How did the CYA get so high?

I do have a few questions regarding what I should be doing right now until I drain the pool and after I drain the pool.
- My chlorinator is set to maximum and has been for a while do I keep it there
- I am running my filter 20 hours a day, can I reduce it
- Do you suspect I am going to slam so should I go buy some one gallon jugs of liquid chlorine? Its easier for me to go on the weekend.

I have gone from hating my pool to hating the pool stores now. There is hope.

The pucks you put in the chlorinator add 1.8 ppm CYA for each one that dissolves into the pool water. That is what raised your CYA.
You will need to SLAM. So getting 15 gallons or so of liquid chlorine would be prudent. Any leftover you will need for daily maintenance as you should discontinue the use of pucks. Keep any you have for when you will be gone from the pool for more than a day or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Send a message to OTPirate and she'll get the new view tube right out to you.

Just so you know, that happens from time to time. The problem is it is hard to test each one by filling with water and you can't see that the seal is not formed perfectly just by a visual inspection.

OTPirate will give you lightning service on getting another one out to you....just let her know.

So once i drain, discontinue pucks? Are there pucks without CYA? I am just curious once everything is fixed am I just using liquid chlorine and how much? I am assuming you don't dump 1 gallon in each day for maintenance.
Stop using pucks now! They are adding to your CYA.

Use only liquid bleach. I have a 20k gallon pool and am adding maybe a half gallon every other day of 12.5%. So about 3-4 gallons a week, like $11-14 per week in liquid bleach.

Draining the pool today and will be filling it up over night. If it fills up overnight at some point should I put 1 gallon of chlorine in once I can run the filter or should I wait till I get home from work that night to measure everything again?

I purchased 18 one gallon jugs of chlorine and a big bag of baking soda so I am prepped.

You definitely do not need baking soda based on your test data above.

Good start on the chlorine purchase. You can add a gallon in the morning and then test everything when you get home tomorrow.

At this point, I am Neo and I swallowed the red pill so everything I knew as reality is incorrect. To be honest I have no idea, just focusing on the cya first then worrying about everything else. I’m still a novice at this and learning.

Hi, just a quick update. Yesterday I spent the day draining the pool to a little below 50% and it finally filled it up at around 4 today. I just got home from work and turned the filter on so I am going to wait a few hours before I run a full test.

Here is my observation: NO ALGAE!!! I am so excited by this because normally I would have definitely saw some algae. I didn't have time to do a quick test but on a whim I used a $10 test strip and I do still have chlorine present and it is rather high to my surprise.

I will post the numbers later tonight and I know there is still a lot of work to do. Thank you everyone. and this is the best progress I have had in years!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.