We normally say you should have your FC near 20% of CYA for the OCLT but see what you get in the am.

For a proper OCLT, the pump should run overnight. Or, at a minimum, for at least one hour in the morning prior to running your FC test.

Good morning, the OCLT was 3.5 FC and .5 CC. I did a visual inspection and saw a few spots with specs of what looks like algae - no where near where it was before. In addition, I saw a 4 inch line of a darker substance in the middle of the pool - again no where near where it was before.

So what do you recommend next?

Go swimming. Elevate your FC to about 6-8 ppm as some additional insurance and keep it up there for the next several days. Brush the spots, vacuum as needed.

I assume your water is clear, right? You are done. Go swimming!

I would also suggest you read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You will have a better understanding of what you have done and be able to manage your pool on your own.

Hi, I actually feel like I can love my pool again! Thank you! I read it earlier but I am going to read it a lot more to understand it better and keep following along. Can you tell me the appropriate time to run my filter? I have heard 18-24 hours but that just doesn't seem right. I think I have a single stage pump, just on and off, with a timer.

I have heard 18-24 hours but that just doesn't seem right. I think I have a single stage pump, just on and off, with a timer.
The silly but correct answer is "as often as you need to keep your pool clean". That'll be trial and error but I would start out around 8 hours daily and then run less or more based on what you see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi All, Again thank you for putting normalcy back into my life and making me love the pool again. I suspect I will be leaving this thread and starting a new one since we have diverted from the original topic. I just wanted to give an update and if you could provide any thoughts that would be great..

My pool water is crystal clear and there is no where near the amount of algae at the bottom of the pool but there is a little bit (of something). In addition, there seems to be a darker type of algae that collects in one spot in the middle of the pool. I have vacuumed to waste but it still comes back. I am planning to do a OCLT tonight. I am running the filter 16 hours and I am using the pool calculator to determine the amount of LC to put in the pool during the week.

My numbers for today I think look great:

7.5 FC
.5 CC
150 Calcium Hardness (it was never red just purple but it did turn blue)
80 TA
50 CYA
5-10 CL/BR
7.5 PH

Hi, I ran an OCLT and I did see a bit more algae.

9 PM test FC 6.5 and CC .5
6 AM test FC 5.0 and CC .5

I imagine I need to SLAM so I read up on this. I just want to make sure this is the correct procedure.

1. Review pool calc to see how much to pour in for SLAM level based on the numbers
2. Pour enough LC to SLAM levels this morning, brush pool, and filter for 24 hours
3. After work test again (about 10 hours), pour in correct LC to SLAM level, brush again, continue filtering
4. Test again before bed and continue until the FC does not drop overnight

If this is correct, the only question I have is it OK for the kids to swim this afternoon which would be about 4 hours after the SLAM?

Thanks

Once you start the SLAM, it is continuous.......I think you understand that but the "24 hours" caught my eye.

You can absolutely swim

You are finished with the SLAM when....

1. Your Pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae
2. You passed the OCLT losing not more than 1 ppm of FC
3. Your CC's test is either .5 ppm or 0 ppm.

Yes, just meant that I was changing the filter run time from its current setting to on all the time. Thank you!

I completely feel your pain!!!!!! I have been dealing with that same thing as what you describe for years now. I even had my liner changed with all new water and I still get the little debris collections in the crevices at the bottom. I cannot figure it out! I have a lot of trees behind pool and considered cutting them all down but not sure they are the contributing factor yet. This is so frustrating I just want to get rid of my pool. Feel like I have to vacuum every Dang day! Did the slam, FC being kept between 6-8ppm, CYA is 50, everything checks out but yet I see more and more of that debris collecting at bottom. I think we need to start a support group for trouble pools!

Just providing an update since this is the first time. I have been testing 3x a day and trying to maintain 20ppm using pool calc. I have been brushing twice a day but tonight I vacuumed due to a little bit of debris on the pool floor but also the algae. It was significantly reduced this afternoon compared to yesterday. If I read this correctly, I need to continue SLAMming until I visibly do not see any algae. Then I should do an OCLT to make sure there is no drop in FC. If there isn't then I am done, I can do a full test on everything else. If OCLT drops, then continue SLAMming and run the test again the next night. Does that sound about right?

I have been SLAMing for about 4 or 5 days now and I am visually still seeing a little bit of algae. I am thinking that it has been really hot and it goes from 20ppm down to 12ppm FC. The CC is barely there and registers around .5. Could it be that I am not able to kill it all off because of the sun burning off the chlorine and it not staying a a constant 20ppm? I will be able to start doing this today where I can check it several times a day.

The M in SLAM is maintain. As often as possible. Also brush - as often as possible. Do those two things the next few days and the algae should go away and then you will be filtering with the sand filter until clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.