TF-100 Chlorine Cylinder Losing Markings?

Stoopalini

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Maybe I'm testing my new pool too often, or is this common for the chlorine cylinder's markings to wear off this quickly?

On the left is the TF-100 cylinder for all the non-chlorine tests, and on the right is the TF-100 chlorine only cylinder. The pool was filled on Aug 28th, and I've been testing multiple times a day, as I learn my pool's cycle. So 9 days of testing on this cylinder.

My test process is to fill a 2-cup measuring container with pool water, and bring it inside. Then I have a 25ml syringe I use to extract water from the 2-cup container, and fill the appropriate graduated cylinders for each test. I fill the chlorine one to 10ml, drop in the speedstir pill, and test away.

I dry each component before putting it away as well.

1599416522486.png

Mine have lasted 6 years. And I am no where near as meticulous as you in the whole process.

I bet the drying them is rubbing the paint off.

Hmm, weird. Especially with your MO. Looks like you might have had something on your finger when you picked it up. Mine are raised from the plastic, and not black. Harder to see, but won't wear off. They come from Taylor.

I rinse them in pool water before, and filtered water after. I don't dry mine either.

Hmm .. thanks guys. Its strange .... I dry both off each time, but only the chlorine one is fading.

I do have a raised markings cylinder as well, as it came with the speedstir. I mainly use the TF-100 cylinders though, which mave the painted markings.

Is it a problem testing chlorine in a cylinder used to test other chemicals as well? I assumed there was a technical reason why the one cylinder is marked as "Chlorine Only", and it's not advisable to perorm chlorine and non-chlorine tests in the same cylinder.

I have a chlorine-only vial. I thought it was because the FC reagents discolor the plastic. But there may be other reasons, too.

I have a chlorine-only vial. I thought it was because the FC reagents discolor the plastic. But there may be other reasons, too.
That’s it. Repeated use stains the vial, and the spoon.

Along with the vial(s), I rinse the little spoon after every test. That was really getting grody when I didn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My last vial wore from powder mix staining. This one is the opposite; from trying to keep it clean and dried. TF-100 with the black marks (or used to). I like the tape idea. That's what I'm going to do. My sharpie mark is wearing off.

Why dry the vial?n I just rinse and then let air dry. Before I do the next test, I pre-rinse with pool water, then empty and do the test.
Same here. Though to be fair, I think I may have hurried the end of one of my SpeedStir pills by doing that (I leave it wet, too, in the vial). I just noticed a small split in one and some rust inside. Time for another. I always keep a spare of two. Anybody else wear out their pill? I think I'll keep that separate from the vial going forward.

In addition to the FC-only vial, each of my vials has its own pill.

Well I've tried air drying but I've not got a short term memory to the point that I'll ever remember them if I leave them somewhere to dry. I have each test kit in a zip lock bag separately. I'm trying to practice a method called trouble free pool and for me, air drying and remembering to put them up is pretty troubling.

That's why some of us are lazy, uh, I mean, don't trouble, about the drying and the storing. I've said before: it's ideal to do both, of course, but if it's between meticulous testing and testing more often because you can do so quickly; the latter is better for your pool. Do what works for you to keep testing a regular regime, even if that means replacing a vial or pill a little more often.

Cloth can be pretty abrasive, more than you'd think ('swhy your not 'posta wipe your glasses with your tee shirt)...

Funny enough, I can do a full barrage of testing in about 7 minutes with my process. The test kit sits on the kitchen bar, along with the 2 cup measuring container. I just grab the container, dunk in the pool upside down, then turn it over about 18" below the surface, and fill it up.

Then I bring it inside, flip open the TF-100 case, and grab the syringe. It's easy to run each test and rinse the tools at the sink after each one. I dry them simply because I'm putting it all back inside the TF-100 case after each test. It's a quick and efficient process due to using the syringe and 2-cup measuring container. I can pull out the exact amount I need for the test, so there's no overshooting a fill line.

That’s it. Repeated use stains the vial, and the spoon.

Interesting. I’ve been using the same Taylor vial to test FC since 2005 with no staining.

My normal process is rinse it well with pool water, perform the test, rinse with tap water, then dry with a clean cloth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.