Tested water for first time today, chlorine test was basically clear and pH is low. Next steps?

Grumpyvet, I'm so disappointed that the pool store you purchased from sold you so many overpriced, unnecessary chemicals. I will say they build better pools than they "chemicalize" as the old "doc" there made an error on my first and only pool store test when new and was the cause of my finding this pool site too 9 years ago.

Trust that TF-100 test kit. Try using the simpliest version of the chemicals you do need to add to the pool. Don't hesitate to holler at me if you need on the spot help, Skippy and I can make a house call. (with mask!)

Liquid Chlorine, powdered stabilizer, baking soda and borax on occasion, muriatic acid PRN.

Maddie :flower:

Grumpyvet, I'm so disappointed that the pool store you purchased from sold you so many overpriced, unnecessary chemicals. I will say they build better pools than they "chemicalize" as the old "doc" there made an error on my first and only pool store test when new and was the cause of my finding this pool site too 9 years ago.

Trust that TF-100 test kit. Try using the simpliest version of the chemicals you do need to add to the pool. Don't hesitate to holler at me if you need on the spot help, Skippy and I can make a house call. (with mask!)

Liquid Chlorine, powdered stabilizer, baking soda and borax on occasion, muriatic acid PRN.

Thanks! I am definitely learning a lot today. I should have done more research beforehand, but I trusted the pool store. Definitely not going back.

Getting ready to head to the store now. I'm just gonna buy a whole bunch. How much do you guys keep on hand? I saw when I was there yesterday that Clorox makes some chlorine tablets you just put in your skimmer, is that a viable option as well or should I not worry about alternatives and stick with bleach?

Getting ready to head to the store now. I'm just gonna buy a whole bunch. How much do you guys keep on hand? I saw when I was there yesterday that Clorox makes some chlorine tablets you just put in your skimmer, is that a viable option as well or should I not worry about alternatives and stick with bleach?
You don't want tablets, especially not the Chloroxblue tablets. Why not is explained in How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool

Your best bet is to look at the hardware stores or the big box retailers in the pool section for liquid chlorine or liquid shock or who knows what they'll call it. But it will be 10% or 12.5%. How much is up to you. Bleach degrades over time, so don't lay in a year's supply. For a pool your size, a gallon of 10% will likely last 3 or 4 days, so plan accordingly.

Be careful if you end up in the laundry aisle. It's very hard to find plain bleach that isn't scented or splashless or without fabric guard. Clorox sells Germicidal Bleach that meets our standards, but it will likely be with cleaning supplies, not laundry. Look in the pool zone first.

1. Was that just a 6 lb addition of CYA? It's fine just where it is but I would have expected 30 or so. Leave it alone.

2. Also surprised your chlorine got eaten up so fast in that clear water. Put in enough to get to 5 ppm and then, 24 hours after you put it in, test and post your results again.. Buying 6-8 jugs won't hurt......you'll use them in time.

3. There is no need to test CH, pH or TA again tomorrow......they are fine. Get some FC in the pool (5 ppm) ASAP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Grumpy, using PoolMath (find old version at the bottom of this page, or phone App) I can tell you that 20 ounces of Walmart's 10% Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine will give you 1 ppm of FC in your 16,000 gallon pool. Pool Math will also help you know how much to use if you get a different strength liquid chlorine.

So knowing that, I'd just put a gallon per day in which will take you up to 6ppm, but close enough and you don't need to measure out the 100 ounces which would give you that 5ppm that Dave wrote about.

Reactions: jlyfshhh
Hey guys, I'm back with the results of my second weekly test. I have just been putting in a 128oz jug of the Pool Essentials chlorine from Walmart. Pool Math app says all my numbers are good except TA outside the recommended range of 50-90. I also had to refill the pool about 1.5 inches do to evaporation, then it ended up raining most of the next day so I figured it would be way out of wack.

IMG_5411.jpeg

Hey guys, I'm back with the results of my second weekly test. I have just been putting in a 128oz jug of the Pool Essentials chlorine from Walmart. Pool Math app says all my numbers are good except TA outside the recommended range of 50-90. I also had to refill the pool about 1.5 inches do to evaporation, then it ended up raining most of the next day so I figured it would be way out of wack.

View attachment 154288
Don't sweat the TA. Just deal with the pH. You can do it now, or wait until it goes up to 8.0. Aim low, but leave a little wiggle room, so maybe target 7.3. That will do the most to reduce the TA. The pH will bounce back up to 7.6 or so pretty fast, like a day or two, so don't be alarmed if you test and see that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.