Tested water for first time today, chlorine test was basically clear and pH is low. Next steps?

jseyfert3

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A gallon per day in a 13kgal pool is a lot. Have you done an overnight chlorine loss test?
A gallon per day will raise a 13k pool up 4.7ppm of FC. A gallon per day of 10% gives 7.7 ppm of FC.

Maddie
Hmm, that is a good point. I've been doing something like 35-50 oz a day of (fresh) 12.5% on our 15k pool, so a gallon of 10% a day does seem like a bit much.

I am further north though, and my pool is in shade a couple hours before sundown, so that might be part of it.

OP, is there a date code on your chlorine bottles? Usually a 5 digit number, like so:
IMG_20200727_192955878.jpg

"20182” means it was bottled the 182nd day of 2020. Today is day 209, so this stuff is 27 days old.

jseyfert3

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Nevermind, I checked the OP's logs, they are adding a gallon every 2 days or so on average, that sounds about right.

Should have checked that before posting. :oops:

Reactions: MITBeta

grumpyveteran

Gold Supporter
May 28, 2020
Georgia
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Nevermind, I checked the OP's logs, they are adding a gallon every 2 days or so on average, that sounds about right.

Should have checked that before posting. :oops:

yea I eased back a bit. I am going to do the overnight chlorine loss test to see what that says.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.