Step by Step instructions for conversion to a SWG

Conversion is easy-peasy!

1) Buy device
2) Buy Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit and test your current water for salt already in the pool.
3) Use PoolMath to determine how much salt to buy to take it from currently salt level up to device requirement salt level. Add to pool and brush.
4) Install device .... use liquid chlorine all the while you work on this project. Have Free Chlorine level at desired level using liquid chlorine.
5) Turn device on and let device maintain the FC level you have dialed in using the liquid chlorine. Add increased CYA requirement.
6) Test daily to tweak system (turn up or down to get more or less FC) When dialed in....<go to step 7)
7) Sit back and have a nice cold adult beverage. Put your feet up. Test routinely. All is well.

Maddie :flower:

Conversion is easy-peasy!

1) Buy device
2) Buy Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit and test your current water for salt already in the pool.
3) Use PoolMath to determine how much salt to buy to take it from currently salt level up to device requirement salt level. Add to pool and brush.
4) Install device .... use liquid chlorine all the while you work on this project. Have Free Chlorine level at desired level using liquid chlorine.
5) Turn device on and let device maintain the FC level you have dialed in using the liquid chlorine. Add increased CYA requirement.
6) Test daily to tweak system (turn up or down to get more or less FC) When dialed in....<go to step 7)
7) Sit back and have a nice cold adult beverage. Put your feet up. Test routinely. All is well.

Maddie :flower:
Delete the reminders to test chlorine all the time. And those trips to the store searching for liquid chlorine

Reactions: newdude
All kidding aside it’s an easy conversion. Take a few weeks to get it adjusted but unless you have a problem it’s set and done. Learn from our mistakes like thinking “ how low can I go “ with chlorine levels.

wanted to buy this for the same reason you mentioned. . Unfortunately, the clearance from the bottom of my heater outlet pipe run to the concrete pad is 3.5 inches and chatting with the rep I discovered that the clearance needs to be larger
So buy the vertical kit, or make your own for cheaper with some 90s and go up with the SWG then back down and out. Or you can use the elbows to raise the outlet pipe and have plenty of clearance. :)

Reactions: markayash
I wanted to buy this for the same reason you mentioned. . Unfortunately, the clearance from the bottom of my heater outlet pipe run to the concrete pad is 3.5 inches and chatting with the rep I discovered that the clearance needs to be larger.
None of them are hard. I put a 120v plug on my edge and other then that the rest is simple snap together. Cutting the PVC is the hardest part and that’s not bad either

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cutting the PVC is the hardest part and that’s not bad either
+1. Plenty of YouTube videos out there to walk you through it and give you a great idea of exactly what it entails before you even start. That info is super helpful when you are buying all the parts.

I'll add that instead of measure twice, cut once, that you should measure at LEAST 10 times and cut once. So many pools have tight clearances between fittings and devices, so the last thing you want to do is to make a mistake when you cut out the section where your SWG will go as you may then end up with a much larger plumbing job. Still not overwhelming by any stretch if you have basic handyman skills.

I'll add that instead of measure twice, cut once, that you should measure at LEAST 10 times and cut once. So many pools have tight clearances between fittings and devices, so the last thing you want to do is to make a mistake when you cut out the section where your SWG will go as you may then end up with a much larger plumbing job. Still not overwhelming by any stretch if you have basic handyman skills.
And unless your dealing with special unions if it doesn't work cut it out and start over :) PVC is cheap

Reactions: tclayton10
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am the poster child for "cut it out and start over!"
I am the poster child for getting 1/2 way done and realizing I need an 90..Then off to HD to get it..Then 3 hours later realize I also need a coupler..Repeat..
I got tired of doing that so now have a 5 gallon bucket of 2" PVC parts in my basement :)

I am the poster child for getting 1/2 way done and realizing I need an 90..Then off to HD to get it..Then 3 hours later realize I also need a coupler..Repeat..
I got tired of doing that so now have a 5 gallon bucket of 2" PVC parts in my basement :)
Ditto! In fact, I keep so many PVC fittings from 1/2" through 2" that during the freeze, neighbors were coming to my house looking for parts that were out of stock everywhere! I'll have to shoot a photo of my "garage hardware store."

None of them are hard. I put a 120v plug on my edge and other then that the rest is simple snap together. Cutting the PVC is the hardest part and that’s not bad either
For me, making square cut on PVC is the hardest part. This will take some serious planning on my part.

For me, making square cut on PVC is the hardest part. This will take some serious planning on my part.
You can try putting a metal hose clamp against your cut line. As long as you're careful and take you time, that should keep your cut fairly straight. Others may have other methods as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.