FC - 15
CC - 0
TA - 70
CH - 200
CYA - 100
pH - 7.5
salt - 1700 ppm
Temp - 99°

So here is the scenario. I've used the TF pro kit for my SWG pool for a while and it works great. We just got the spa 2 months ago, so I started using it there and it has been working great. I really haven't had to adjust any chemicals over the past 2 months as the SWG keeps the chlorine at appropriate levels. Usually its only my wife and I using it. I test the FC and pH daily or every other day, the rest about once weekly. Well we had 6 people in the tub and I forgot to shock it. Big mistake! I checked it 24 hours after and had a green petri dish brewing. I was able to find the article on TFP about FC consumption and that was massively helpful.

I was able to shock the water, clean all the filters and such. After 3 days, I now have clear water. My levels are still out of whack a bit, but I had to add shock on back to back days to maintain the chlorine. Now the chlorine has been holding but is obviously high. We also haven't been in the tub the last few days.

The issue I'm having is with my SWG now. If I try to turn it on, it will not function. I keep getting the error message to replace the cartridge. I basically have 2 options at this point:
1.) Drain and start fresh
2.) Replace the Salt cartridge

I'm not sure if the cartridge just isn't working because of my high FC, CYA or CH levels, or if the cartridge is actually toast? I'm about a month out from when I would have to replace it normally. I'm fine to just replace the cartridge if thats the issue. I'm assuming the bacteria soup, and back to back shocks wore out the cartridge. I just don't want to replace the new cartridge only to find it wont work under these conditions, as the cartridges are not cheap. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

In that whole long post you did not tell us the model SWG you are using in your spa. Is it the Hotsprings FreshWater Salt System?

SWGs do not care about FC, CYA or CH levels. They only care about salinity.

Is 1700 ppm a correct salt level for that SWG?

Let's see if @RDspaguy is familiar with this model.

In that whole long post you did not tell us the model SWG you are using in your spa. Is it the Hotsprings FreshWater Salt System?

SWGs do not care about FC, CYA or CH levels. They only care about salinity.

Is 1700 ppm a correct salt level for that SWG?

Let's see if @RDspaguy is familiar with this model.
It is a Hotsprings FreshWater Salt System.

1700 should be correct. Checked multiple times with the TF Pro kit.

With your CYA at 100 I would drain the tub and start fresh before you replace the salt cartridge.

How did you get CYA of 100 when using a SWG? Yous hould have 20-30 ppm of CYA max in a spa.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Liquid chlorine would be better to use and not spike your CYA.

Follow this guide after purging & refilling 👇
A cya of 100 (possibly higher) is unmanageable
Those cartridges are notorious for not lasting as long as they say they should.
It is likely spent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.