Solid Vinyl Safety Pool Cover Cleaning

DDGMAN

Bronze Supporter
Oct 12, 2016
Wadsworth/OH
I bought an Anchor Industries 5 Star solid safety cover, and I want to make sure it gets properly maintained before stowing it away in my basement. I don’t see any guidance on that in any articles for Pool School. Anyone have recommendations on a awesome vinyl pool cover cleaner? Should any vinyl conditioners be used?

Last edited:
For 30 years my covers have just been washed in the pool water when pulled off, folded into the mesh bag, and then let the bag drip dry in the driveway before being moved to the garage.

You can spread the cover out on the driveway and mop it with a solution of dishwashing detergent and hose it off.

Some folks have tried pressure washing but that can create holes in it.

Agree. Just make sure it gets dry before you stuff it in a box or it will mildew, which will not hurt it but smells bad and looks bad. If it is very dirty you can lay it out and hose it of or scrub with a pushbroom or deck brush, soft bristles only.

Anything you put on the cover must wash off the cover or it ends up in your pool. Longer cover life might be worth some 303 in your pool, I couldn't say. But I had my crews use dawn, a hose sprayer, and a pushbroom. We stored covers in our warehouse and every single one got washed before going into storage.

We started washing off our cover while it's still on the pool. We have a cleaner from Bioguard (can't remember the name) that is safe if it gets in the water but we try not to let that happen. We scrub it down first and then use a submersible pump to get the soapy water off the cover. Then rinse and remove the cover. We fold it up and put it in a bin outside with the same cleaner in the folds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.