GangPond

May 17, 2022
St. Louis
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Is this the best option for the gallons of chlorine I will need?
Chlorine requirement is through the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_4746.png
    IMG_4746.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 26
That will work for sure, but it is only 10% strength. For a SLAM, you will need lots of Chlorine, so maybe check out a pool store that sells refillable 2.5 gallon jugs of 12.5% Chlorine. You can do the price calculations to see if it's worth it. The higher the strength, the less amount you will need. Pool Math does the calculations for you as well.

Thank you!
Figured out why I am burning through chlorine. I have a mustard algae bloom(can brush it off and looks like dust in all sides of the pool). Worse I think I had it 2 weeks ago and didn’t know what it was.
I am doing a slam for the first time and I would love to make sure I am doing it right.
Here is the testing-
FC 0.5, CC 0
PH 7.5( maybe 7.8 but not higher)
CH 425
TA 110
Cya 50

Please guide me through this, this is giving me some angst.

Figured out why I am burning through chlorine. I have a mustard algae bloom(can brush it off and looks like dust in all sides of the pool). Worse I think I had it 2 weeks ago and didn’t know what it was. Dumped 2 bags of shock at that time, maybe worked temporarily as CYA was close to nothing then.
I am doing a slam for the first time and I would love to make sure I am doing it right.
Here is the testing-
FC 0.5, CC 0
PH 7.5( maybe 7.8 but not higher)
CH 425
TA 110
Cya 50

Please guide me through this, this is giving me some angst. How much chlorine do I add and is it ok if I check again tomorrow morning and then in The evening.

Have you read the SLAM Process?
As shown in the article. Lower pH to 7.2.
Raise FC to 20 ppm. Test FC and add chlorine to get to 20 ppm. as often as you can, not less than 3-4 times per day.

First lower the pH to 7.2. Then increase the FC to 20 which is your SLAM level. Maintain that slam level until you pass all 3 criteria listed on the SLAM Process page. Only if needed, do you then elevate the FC to the appropriate MA level and only for 24 hrs.

Here is the MA page link and in there you will find the corresponding FC level to maintain for 24 hrs during the MA treatment. That elevated level is based on your CYA of 50.

Thank you, starting it now. Will post update on the morning. Once pH is lowered with muriatic acid can i immediately raise FC or do I recheck to confirm PH actually came down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So pool math tells me to add 28 oz of muriatic acid. Unfortunately I don’t have a strength o. This muriatic acid I picked up from WM? Should I just assume it is same strength?

Attachments

• IMG_4747.jpeg
    IMG_4747.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 17
Likely 14.5% or less. Assume that level and add. You have a high TA so if you overshoot on pH too low it will come right back up.

So added the muriatic acid and chlorine last night to bring the free chlorine to 20.
This morning FC-16.5 and CC -0
2 questions
1. Bring the FC to 20 again and that’s the only test I run now till SLAM is complete?
2. Is my CC reliable? I thought it would be higher since there is breakdown happening?
Thank you for guiding me through this.

1. Bring the FC to 20 again and that’s the only test I run now till SLAM is complete?
Basically yes, focus on FC. Near the end of the SLAM you can check the CC, but right now FC is most important.

2. Is my CC reliable? I thought it would be higher since there is breakdown happening?
The results may be reliable, but CC can fluctuate, so don't rely on a CC number as an indication of your SLAM progress. Focus on the FC and save the CC testing near the end of the SLAM Process as one of your 3 SLAM passing criteria.

Ok great, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately next test will now be around 4 pm, cannot do anything about that!
What do I do about the lights?
Leaving kids toys and floater in the pool while I slam. Would I need to change my brush after this is done to not reintroduce the spores?
Also as a side saw that white line shortly after the pool opened? Is that calcium scaling, sited below current water level.

Attachments

• IMG_4749.jpeg
    IMG_4749.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4750.jpeg
    IMG_4750.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4751.jpeg
    IMG_4751.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4748.jpeg
    IMG_4748.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 37
What do I do about the lights?
Are those the smaller nicheless LED type? If so, just leave them alone.

Would I need to change my brush after this is done to not reintroduce the spores?
That should not bee needed. If you are concerned, a simple cleaning with bleach and water should suffice.

Is that calcium scaling, sited below current water level.
Could be. Some scrubbing may help to resolve it. Or spray a diluted mixture of water & acid before scrubbing. Always try a test area. We can come back to that issue later if it's stubborn.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.