lbrogan2

Apr 9, 2024
Royse City, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, I am starting to doubt myself on the SLAM process. I started the SLAM process Thursday. I have followed the process to a T. Checking FC 3-4 per day. If needed I immediately bring FC back up to SLAM levels. However, I am 5 gallons of LC used up at this point? Is it typical to use this much LC during SLAM or in general? Were my expectations off on how much LC I would need on hand?

Yes it is common to use 10 or more gallons of LC during a SLAM. It just depends on how bad the beginning is, how big is the pool, etc.
It is great that you are testing 3-4 times a day and topping up FC as that will help progress the SLAM faster.
Show us a picture of the pool at the start of SLAM and where you are today.

Reactions: Newdude
Show us a picture of the pool at the start of SLAM and where you are today.
It is currently storming so I'll get a picture once that passes. As far as water quality, it was clear to start and still clear currently. No signs of Algae. I just got turned on to the theories on these forums. Getting ready for the summer, I did a overnight FC test and failed. That is what led me to start the SLAM process.

Getting ready for the summer, I did a overnight FC test and failed. That is what led me to start the SLAM process
Music to my ears :) Far too many sit around making excuses why they don't need to OCLT for SLAM. It rarely ends well.

Great job grasping the basics. And yes. Clear water is the reason you've used 5 gallons and not 50 so far. (y)

Algae is microscopic and by the time folks can see it, it's a runaway train. (And also a swamp). Regularly testing and listening to said testing gives you plenty of warning so you can retain the upper hand in the battle.

Have you gone buck wild scrubbing on an algae treasure hunt ? You need to clean every inch that's hidden in plain sight like ladder rails and all up inside skimmer.

Reactions: HermanTX
Have you gone back wild scrubbing on an algae treasure hunt ? You need to clean every inch that's hidden in plain sight like ladder rails and all up inside skimmer.
I have done my normal scrubbing/brushing of the pool. I can't honestly say that I have scrubbed inside skimmers, but brushing entire surface of the pool has happened daily. Does this make a difference if there are no visible signs of algae anywhere?

Does this make a difference if there are no visible signs of algae anywhere?
Nope. Whatever funk you have going on was able to get in and begin to establish itself. Ladder rails for example hold a gallon or two each of old water. Dump those (if applicable) and get some SLAM water sloshing around up in there before reinstalling.

If you're going through the rest of the effort, no shortcuts, or you might as well be doing the whole thing half - butt. (Which you aren't, so don't start now. :))

Nope. Whatever funk you have going on was able to get in and begin to establish itself. Ladder rails for example hold a gallon or two each of old water. Dump those (if applicable) and get some SLAM water sloshing around up in there before reinstalling.

If you're going through the rest of the effort, no shortcuts, or you might as well be doing the whole thing half - butt. (Which you aren't, so don't start now. :))
Ok perfect. No ladder rails on my pool. All open plaster surfaces and 2 skimmers. I'll start working a brush into the tighter to reach areas. Thank you.

One follow up question. I am going out of town later next week and really assumed the SLAM process would be done (might be a bad assumption on my part). If I dump a a couple gallons in before leaving and fill my hopper with tabs (only time I use tabs is when I leave town), am I screwing up all the work put in with this SLAM?

I am going out of town later next week and really assumed the SLAM process would be done (might be a bad assumption on my part).
Clear water SLAMs are usually buttoned up quickly and we have some time until you leave to finish this up.

When they drag on, we are usually missing an algae hiding spot which reintroduces algae to our now sterile water. Somebody found a gunked up auto fill last year that was their 'AHA moment.' Every last inch is suspect until you've proven otherwise.

Somebody found a gunked up auto fill last year that was their 'AHA moment.' Every last inch is suspect until you've proven otherwise.
Oh man….. that could be it. I don’t really use my autofill and completely forgot that. It was pretty dirty. I have since scrubbed that and flushed it quite a bit with SLAM water. Nice catch!

Reactions: Newdude
Oh man….. that could be it. I don’t really use my autofill and completely forgot that. It was pretty dirty. I have since scrubbed that and flushed it quite a bit with SLAM water. Nice catch!
Great. And since you were doing the skimmers - did you get the weir door back and front and sides? Those are places where little algae can hide.
Since it raining your FC is probably being diluted so check that as often as you can to bring it back up to SLAM level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When they drag on, we are usually missing an algae hiding spot which reintroduces algae to our now sterile water.
So if I am missing a spot the SLAM will basically prolong and never really complete? I am now at a loss as to where else algae could be hiding. My FC dropped 8 ppm across 10hrs today. Is that common 4 days into a SLAM?

My FC dropped 8 ppm across 10hrs today. Is that common 4 days into a SLAM?
It can be. Kinda weird with clear water though. How sure are you with the CYA reading ? Is it definitely at least 30 ?

If it's a UV issue with not enough CYA, the overnight test will pass.

It can be. Kinda weird with clear water though. How sure are you with the CYA reading ? Is it definitely at least 30 ?

If it's a UV issue with not enough CYA, the overnight test will pass.
I’m pretty confident I’m testing/reading CYA correctly. I can’t see the black dot holding it at my waist when it is between 40 & 50.

Ok, so I should probably do a OCLT and see what happens?

I leave town Wednesday night, so I’m starting to worry I’m going to have to start this process over.

I can’t see the black dot holding it at my waist when it is between 40 & 50
Are you staring, or a quick glance. Your brain lies to you if you stare. Wanna see your brain lie ? Look at your nose. It's been there all week. Maybe even longer, but you didn't see it until I told you it was there.

So yeah, lightning fast glance. I go with mostly obscure instead of completely gone. The first inkling I get that it might be a shadow of the tube and not the dot, I call it.

Seeing how we round up, only fill to the 10s and it's way easier to see its definitely not a 30 and definitely not a 50. It'll be close enough at that point calling it a 40.

Also, the sample is good for as many tests as you need. Suck it back out of the tube, shake and pour it again. Your choice if you prefer best of 3, or 5 out of 7.
Ok, so I should probably do a OCLT and see what happens?
Yeah. You have perfect water with no visible algae in any capacity so that's the qualification to move to OCLTs.

If you're passing the overnight test with heavy daytime loss, then we know it's a CYA issue at this point. Is Texas Texas-ing yet, temperature wise ?

Seeing how we round up, only fill to the 10s and it's way easier to see its definitely not a 30 and definitely not a 50. It'll be close enough at that point calling it a 40.

Also, the sample is good for as many tests as you need. Suck it back out of the tube, shake and pour it again. Your choice if you prefer best of 3, or 5 out of 7.
Ok, so retested CYA again and it was pretty much equal to 30 every time. Maybe I tested last too close to adding stabilizer?

With that being said, I should add more stabilizer, correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support