atrerice

Jun 25, 2023
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have 3 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine left over from last season. I'm going to be opening the pool next week and wondering if that chlorine is any good, or if I should dispose of it. Is there a way to test it? It was stored in the garage all winter in Michigan. I'm on septic, so pouring down the drain really isn't an option here unfortunately.

I'm going to be opening the pool next week and wondering if that chlorine is any good, or if I should dispose of it. Is there a way to test it?
We have some folks here who could probably give you some sort of expected strength, but if I were you I'd use it. Use our PoolMath APP to determine an "anticipated" FC increase based on how much you would add, then re-test in about an hour to see how close you got.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: Mdragger88
My leftover bleach gets used to clean my PVC fence, vinyl siding and any outdoor furniture that needs it. It can be weak and still works great for that stuff.

If I have any left after that, it gets delegated to the laundry room where it'll be effective for a long time.

I have 3 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine left over from last season. I'm going to be opening the pool next week and wondering if that chlorine is any good, or if I should dispose of it. Is there a way to test it? It was stored in the garage all winter in Michigan. I'm on septic, so pouring down the drain really isn't an option here unfortunately.
It can be used in the pool, just may not be as effective

You can always test the strength of your bleach by diluting 10,000 to 1 - Put 1ml of bleach in 100ml of distilled water, mix well, then take 1ml of that and mix into another 100ml of distilled water. Then test this mixture with your test kit like normal. Whatever ppm you get as a result is equal to the percentage in your jug.