Accomplishing SLAM correctly?

CC tested at .5 this morning.
This is the criteria - well done
Once all three of these criteria are met, you have completed the SLAM process and can allow the FC to drop to normal levels.

CC is 0.5 or lower
AND your overnight chlorine loss test shows 1.0 ppm of loss or less
AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls

Reactions: Newdude
This is the criteria - well done
Once all three of these criteria are met, you have completed the SLAM process and can allow the FC to drop to normal levels.

CC is 0.5 or lower
AND your overnight chlorine loss test shows 1.0 ppm of loss or less
AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls
This is great news! Moving forward now, I need to wait until FC is below 10 to start balancing out correct?

This is great news! Moving forward now, I need to wait until FC is below 10 to start balancing out correct?
Perform a full test of all but know that pH tests with FC greater than 10 are inaccurate. I would focus on CYA as that is a potential low value based on previous posts

Perform a full test of all but know that pH tests with FC greater than 10 are inaccurate. I would focus on CYA as that is a potential low value based on previous posts
Ok will do.

Looking ahead to tomorrow thru Sunday, while I am away, I was planning on dumping a couple gallons of LC right before leaving and filling my hopper with tabs. Is there a different approach I should take while being gone?

Looking ahead to tomorrow thru Sunday, while I am away, I was planning on dumping a couple gallons of LC right before leaving and filling my hopper with tabs. Is there a different approach I should take while being gone?
FC is safe up to SLAM level for your CYA. (40%). It burns off quicker at higher levels, as a %, but between starting higher and the pucks to add some slowly, you should be fine.

Definitely square away the CYA so you don't lose excessive FC while away.

Well done !!!

Reactions: HermanTX
FC is safe up to SLAM level for your CYA. (40%). It burns off quicker at higher levels, as a %, but between starting higher and the pucks to add some slowly, you should be fine.

Definitely square away the CYA so you don't lose excessive FC while away.

Well done !!!
Thank you for all the help on this! I will raise my CYA a little bit after seeing it down around 30.

Thank you for all the help on this! I will raise my CYA a little bit after seeing it down around 30.
Just know the pucks or tabs you use while away will also increase your CYA. Aim for raising it to 40 or 50 before you leave, but I suspect it will be higher than that when you return depending on the amount of tabs/pucks it dispenses while gone. But that’s ok so long as you don’t get extremely high. We actually run ours around 60 every year. But this year at start we are at 70. I don’t mind much. After 6 straight days I just now had to throw in 3-4C of LC to return it to our normal target of 7-8ppm. We go through a lot less chlorine when our CYA is 50-70.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just know the pucks or tabs you use while away will also increase your CYA. Aim for raising it to 40 or 50 before you leave, but I suspect it will be higher than that when you return depending on the amount of tabs/pucks it dispenses while gone. But that’s ok so long as you don’t get extremely high. We actually run ours around 60 every year. But this year at start we are at 70. I don’t mind much. After 6 straight days I just now had to throw in 3-4C of LC to return it to our normal target of 7-8ppm. We go through a lot less chlorine when our CYA is 50-70.
OK, perfect! I plan on adding some stabilizer tonight, to try to get it to the 40 range. I figured it would raise a little bit with Tabs while I’m gone.

Reactions: kul and Newdude