Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Wonder why no one makes a skimmer basket similar to the fine mesh filters in modern robots. Would eliminate need for skimmer socks! Don't like how a sock (or hairy net) covers up the handle. If you know of any, let me know!

My handle doesn't come off easily. 15 year old basket is bound to break if I try.
Probably time for a replacement anyway. Try to find one with the metal rod type handle.

Putting a hairnet in that old brittle basket will most likely compromise the basket once it starts dollecting more debris.

My basket (which didn't have a handle) broke at the end of last year's swim season. The leaves were getting into it and even with clearing it out twice daily, they blocked it enough that the pressure from the pump broke the basket around the rim.

New basket has a plastic handle that snaps in and out by flexing the sides of the basket.

I have two sets of baskets. One set is always ready to go.

All I have to do is swap the dirty set for the clean set, and then I can take my time getting the dirty set ready to go again.

I do not like the springy hairnets that come as a tube, I like these.. Lifesoft, Bouttant caps Hair nets 21"

If you run a VS pump at low RPMs you will have to add a rock to keep the hairnet from floating up when empty. Just make sure the rock is way too big to every get into the pipe under the skimmer basket.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: tcat
I have two sets of baskets. One set is always ready to go.

All I have to do is swap the dirty set for the clean set, and then I can take my time getting the dirty set ready to go again.

I do not like the springy hairnets that come as a tube, I like these.. Lifesoft, Bouttant caps Hair nets 21"

If you run a VS pump at low RPMs you will have to add a rock to keep the hairnet from floating up when empty. Just make sure the rock is way too big to every get into the pipe under the skimmer basket.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I've got 99 more to use up and I'll try those 🤣. Just ordered a new basket with the removable straight handle. Just saying, if whoever makes them robot baskets wants a new product, this is it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as we're sharing, here's the hair nets I use for skimmer socks:

And the nets I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0C78FC

I couldn't imagine how much I would have to clean my filter without using these. For 9 months out of the year, there is ALWAYS something blooming and with our Oklahoma wind...the pool has Crud in it CONSTANTLY. Currently, it's the very small crape myrtle flowers. Our neighbor has a 60K gallon pool and the same filter as we do...and they clean the filters monthly. I clean mine once a year.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
My issue is pine needles. They get through the two baskets (skimmer and pump) and into the impeller, where they get stuck grinding between the impeller and the housing for it. And even if they do get by the impeller, they get stuck in the filter as they don't want to backwash out.

These are about an inch long each, very thin, and hard as a rock.

Now if I could place a hair net over my 2 drains without a robot eating it.... I get loads of little 1/16 round balls from oak trees that go through the drain, but most get stuck at the pump basket, yeah stuck! Have to use a drill bit to pop them out. Thought about a hair net in the pump basket, thoughts?

Who knew there were so many hair nets... bet they all come from the same Chinese company.

I'm afraid to put a hair net in my pump basket. If it somehow gets into the impeller that could be a REAL problem, I would think.

It makes me really nervous because pool pumps (especially VS pumps) are $1k+ each and that's a very expensive piece of equipment to replace if it does get through and cause a problem. I would recommend against it unless someone more knowledgeable about pumps than me says it would be OK to do.

Yeah, but what do all the 1/16" balls do to it? Rather not have stuff getting stuck in the impeller. I'm guessing if it gets through the basket, it's probably going to get through the impeller (except a hair net). I could see pine needles doing a job on all of it. Happy just to have oaks (although neighbor does have a big tree with little short needles, bald cypress I think). Hair net should stop needles.

Well, now that I tried, no can do. Since the inlet is outside the hairnet, the hairnet is useless. Sample of what was just in basket (after pounding it and pushing out 10 or so).

Attachments

• PXL_20220620_181505663.jpg
    PXL_20220620_181505663.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Wow
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.